Author Topic: Carper rifle breech plug tangs  (Read 1325 times)

Daddyof2

Carper rifle breech plug tangs
« on: January 11, 2021, 04:54:07 PM »
     Gentlemen, does anyone know what the breech plug tang looked like on a Carper rifle? Since they were made in the W.Va. Mountains,  would they have had the long lollipop style of the Tenn. and N. Carolina mountain rifles? I have seen pics of Carper rifles but they don’t show close ups of the tang. If anyone can direct me to pics of a tang on on Carper or know what they looked like it would be much appreciated!! ;D

Offline Carper

Re: Carper rifle breech plug tangs
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 09:51:27 AM »
They were not lollipops or over the comb. They were different depending on which Carper made them. Joe Sr.  quite often used a tang about 3inches long and rectangular same width as top flat  the tang terminated in a short sharp point a little like a triangle but the base isn’t quite as wide as the tang itself. Two wood screws secured the barrel to the stock no tang bolt. The pinned triggerguard held the set triggers in place, no screws or bolts. My Carper rifles are back in WV or I’d take a lot of pictures and send to you.

Offline Carper

Re: Carper rifle breech plug tangs
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 10:14:14 AM »

I found a few pictures. Shows the tang but not well.  The important feature of a Joe Carper rifle is the lock panels don’t stand proud of the wrist. The wrist is fatter than the butt and the wrist is round in cross section. You can’t tell that in the pics.