Author Topic: Old Black Powder Multi-Tool  (Read 3062 times)

Stonehouse john

Old Black Powder Multi-Tool
« on: January 13, 2021, 05:57:47 AM »
I found this interesting old B P combination-tool and thought I'd share it and see if anyone here knew any details about it.  It combines a mainspring vise, turn-screw, nipple wrench (in the end of the L-shaped handle), integrally cast oil bottle, and pinpoint oiler that can serve double duty as a vent/nipple-pick.  It's marked "W Gibsons patent" and every component of it is individually stamped with the number 73.  Has a sturdy, military-issue feel to it but the nipple wrench seems a bit small for the big old military musket-cap nipples.  Any thoughts? 

John

Offline R.I.J.

• Starting Member
Re: Old Black Powder Multi-Tool
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 02:02:26 PM »
I can not offer any input other than a great well thought out design.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 08:27:07 PM »
Any thoughts?  Yep.  It looks like something Dave Crisalli could reproduce and turn into one of his usual jewel-like creations. 

Stonehouse john

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 09:12:40 PM »
HaHa, that's just what I was thinking! 
SOMEONE should reproduce this thing.  It is such a great design.  I'm a little hesitant to use it and possibly lose it but it's pretty tempting because it's such a handy, complete little package.

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 09:19:55 PM »
Might have been made by Dave Crisali's great grandfather!!!   :)
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 12:34:03 AM »
What era?

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 01:16:40 AM »
What era?

Obviously percussion. I would hazard a guess of mid 1850s-60s.
Psalms 144

Offline heinz

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 02:47:36 AM »
I think that is a 20th century product
kind regards, heinz

Stonehouse john

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 07:52:24 PM »
I think that is a 20th century product

Was there still enough black powder usage into the 20th century to make it practical for a company to patent, produce and sell new tools for caplock firearms?  I'd have thought that by then black powder accessories would have been sellin' slower than buggy-whips.

Offline heinz

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 04:04:56 AM »
John, there was a lot of activity in the 50s and 60s in black powder shooting.  Dixie Gun Works was making and marketing black powder accoutrements. Bob Tingle had a whole line of firearms with coil spring locks.  Applying for a patent is not a major output and there is a question if there actually is a patent.
Did you look it up on the Patent office site?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 02:14:49 AM by heinz »
kind regards, heinz

Stonehouse john

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2021, 06:25:52 AM »
Thanks Heinz.  No, it hadn't occurred to me to search for the patent.  Judging by when and where I found it I'd guess that it was already a long-forgotten artifact in my granddad's barn by the time the 1950's rolled around, but when I get the chance I'll try and see if there's anything to be found from the patent records. 
I kind of hope it's not a nice old antique, then I can use it without worrying about it!

Thanks,
John

Offline heinz

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2021, 02:53:18 AM »
John, I searched and cannot find a paten
kind regards, heinz

Stonehouse john

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 12:04:15 AM »
Heinz thank you for doing that search!   I hadn't figured out how to do that yet, I've never searched for a patent before and the patent website is a bit daunting for a first-timer.  I've done internet image-searches every way I can think of and haven't been able to find anything exactly like it.  Closest thing I've seen is this one that was listed on an Australian auction site a few years back; similar nipple wrench and turnscrew locations anyway. 

I guess some mysteries are not easily solved.

- John

Offline Spotted Bull

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2021, 03:30:09 PM »
Is there any other writing or printing on the piece, other than what is shown above?

Stonehouse john

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2021, 06:27:23 AM »
Spotted Bull,

Nope.  Nothing else that I can see.  A date or something would have been nice but no such luck.

- John

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2021, 10:21:20 PM »
I searched US patents for the following gibsons and did not find it.  William, Walter, Wesley, Warren, Wade.  You might check english patents.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2021, 11:34:55 PM »
I am locking this thread pending removal later. It looks to me to be breech loader related therefore not allowed by our rules. Of course I may be wrong and that's why I am holding off on removing. If I find it to be ML related I will remove the lock. PM me if you think its ML related.

I just un-locked the thread, John uses it to pull nipples on percussion rifles so maybe it is for a ML.
Dennis
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 12:49:44 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline OLUT

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2021, 06:56:13 PM »
I am locking this thread pending removal later. It looks to me to be breech loader related therefore not allowed by our rules. Of course I may be wrong and that's why I am holding off on removing. If I find it to be ML related I will remove the lock. PM me if you think its ML related.

I just un-locked the thread, John uses it to pull nipples on percussion rifles so maybe it is for a ML.
Dennis
DENNIS,THIS IS LIFTED FROM ANOTHER FORUM; PLEASE DELETE IF INAPPROPRIATE

Offline heinz

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2021, 04:57:11 PM »
Nice work OLUT!

If it is for a P1853 rifle, that is an English rifle and the Patent would be English.  I did not look at British patents.  I do not know how tho access that database.
kind regards, heinz

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2021, 09:37:02 PM »
Nice work OLUT!

If it is for a P1853 rifle, that is an English rifle and the Patent would be English.  I did not look at British patents.  I do not know how tho access that database.

While I won't rule out that it could be English, I will say I've never this type of tool associated with the P53 family of arms. Then again, I have not seen everything on that subject.
Psalms 144

Stonehouse john

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2021, 05:26:24 AM »
Thank you all for searching and finding out so much info.  OLUT, you've definitely found my piece's double-screwdriver twin brother!  Sounds like it may not have been govt. issue but perhaps English patents are worth a look if I can figure out how to do that.    Does anyone here have enough experience with the P1853 Enfield to know what cap/nipple size it uses?  I'm sure it probably has the standard big square musket-nipple?  The wrench on mine perfectly fits a no.11 cap nipple and is slotted to fit that type.  Hard to tell for sure but that photo from the other post doesn't seem to show a slot in the wrench.  Perhaps the different model number on mine designates a tool for sporting arms rather than the square-musket-cap version?

John

free pictures hosting