Author Topic: Oddity - Antique Powder Horn  (Read 1864 times)

Offline G. Elsenbeck

Oddity - Antique Powder Horn
« on: January 29, 2021, 09:04:19 PM »
I call this one an 'Oddity' because to use it is backwards.  As far as I can tell, you pour and fill from the large end while the small end is 'capped' with bone or antler.  Why, I have no clue.  I found this while looking for powder horns being auctioned. 
Enjoy.

Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Re: Oddity - Antique Powder Horn
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 09:16:07 PM »
Huh, that is odd, nice looking though. I wonder if a guy named Corrigan made it.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 11:50:38 PM »
 Neat horn, the Spanish ring knot on the cap looks like a repair, wonder what it looked like before? A measure maybe? That would dump a bunch of powder in a hurry. Was there any write-up with it?

Tim

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 01:33:31 AM »
The hook connecting the cord to the fat end looks odd for the application, yet familiar. Looks like one of those clip on snap hooks missing the flat spring steel closure.

Did the site give any indication of suspected age?

Maybe built out of need and practicality? For some reason couldn't drill the curved tip? Well, it's already sealed why bother, cap the other end with something easier to drill and plug.

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 01:58:17 AM »
Here is the description for the horn above.

"Description  A large antique powder horn with turned wooden mount, braided leather strap, iron hardware, and carved bone tip. The turned wood mount on one end of powder horn has extensive detail and fine wooden cap for end. The carved bone tip adds detailed touch to end of powder horn.

Horn measures 13 inches by 9 inches.ConditionPowder horn is in good condition with aged wear and patina."
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

Stonehouse john

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 02:30:42 AM »
That sure is an interesting one!  Have you tried blowing in the big end with the cap off the small end?  Wondering if that cross-hole in the pointy-end plug connects to the main internal cavity?  If it does, maybe you'd allign the hole in the bone cap with the hole in its pin to get a slow trickle for pan priming?  Then the big end would pour more volume for the main charge? 

Some ol'timer's idea of a better mousetrap?

Just a thought...

John

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 05:01:00 AM »
I think horns of this general style may have come out of Africa or in that general area. They pop up on Ebay from time to time. Shelby Gallien

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2021, 03:18:35 PM »
I think horns of this general style may have come out of Africa or in that general area. They pop up on Ebay from time to time. Shelby Gallien

Before this I had thought about making one, kind of shrinks the market.

Tim

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2021, 12:12:30 AM »
This one went for $175 on the auction site. 

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 12:53:32 AM »
Just when you think you have seen everything someone brings this to the table. Strange, very strange....

buck conner

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2021, 03:27:32 AM »
Just odd enought that's it's cool, like it. Thanks for sharing.