Author Topic: Reeves Goering Hardware  (Read 3796 times)

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Reeves Goering Hardware
« on: January 13, 2021, 03:23:47 PM »
I'm planing a fowler and was wondering if the Goering line includes Fowler trigger guards and butt plates. The list posted here has been taken down. If so, does anyone have an example of them they could post here, or perhaps has a set they are willing to part with? Does anyone else offer fowler hardware in that nice soft buttery brass? Thank you.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Stoner creek

Re: Reeves Goering Hardware
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 03:41:35 PM »
Mike Brooks
Stop Marxism in America

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 03:43:47 PM »
Mike Brooks may have what you need. I would check with him.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 04:58:39 PM »
Eric Von A posted these years ago.

Dave Blaisdell

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 05:53:01 PM »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 06:29:55 PM »
It seems that actually getting Reeves Goehring castings is not straightforward. Glad Mike is expanding his castings.
Andover, Vermont

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 06:45:34 PM »
Unfortunately the Reeve's castings as seen in these pictures are no longer available. Reeve's daughter is offering his castings but they are no where near the quality that is shown in the photo's. I bought several castings from her a couple of years ago and they were very rough and most if not all of the fine detail had been lost that we were used to seeing in his older castings. The castings are usable but much filling will be required and you will need to have a good idea of what the details in the casting should be to recover the details. Sad but true.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 07:24:55 PM »
Thank you bama.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 09:07:50 PM »
I remember at one point Mr. Goring complaining that the foundry he used had either gone out of business, or had changed in some way that he needed to find another one to do his castings.
As for the Brooks offerings, I wonder if these are cast in the super soft alloy that Goring used, or are cast in the more common rock hard alloy?
It does make you wonder doesn't it..... ::)
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 07:56:28 PM »
It is all a mystery to me, even the mystery is a mystery.
robby
molon labe

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2021, 08:31:36 PM »
I don’t know the recepie but I can tell you after working with several pieces of Mike’s brass that it is not waxy soft like Reaves’s. It does however bend, file, polish, and engrave quite nicely. The sandy part of the castings comes off easily. Whatever the foundry is using is good stuff.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2021, 09:47:07 PM »
I don’t know the recepie but I can tell you after working with several pieces of Mike’s brass that it is not waxy soft like Reaves’s. It does however bend, file, polish, and engrave quite nicely. The sandy part of the castings comes off easily. Whatever the foundry is using is good stuff.

I'm sure it is Stoner, just not quite what I'm looking for.
Robby
molon labe

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2021, 05:47:52 AM »
+1 for Mike Brooks brass.  I’ve used 4 different peoples brass and nothing compares to how well Mikes bends, files and polishes.  David Kech has a unique acorn Fowler trigger guard that’s smaller than all the others offered.  It can be converted to several different trigger guards.  I played phone tag for a couple weeks with Mr. Goerings daughter and never could get to the shipping and buying part.  She said that she attends shows and sells them. 

Offline flehto

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2021, 03:58:37 PM »
For most of the years that I made Shuler Bucks County LRs,  suitable  TG and Bplate castings were not available  but I was lucky that a Goehring's   Verner TG could be modified into a  Shuler. and a sand cast Bplate from Hedgecock could  also be  modified   into a Shuler....although both req'd a lot of extra  work. I no longer build LRs but recently found some HC castings that were copied from a Shuler LR. How easy that would have been.

My 2nd LR was  somewhat a Lehigh and the Bplate casting was awful hard and was finally finished.....but didn't take long before it turned a "pinkish " color. Found out later that it was  made from bronze. .....Fred

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2021, 05:26:42 PM »
I had purchased parts from Reeves in the past. He was a unique individual and perhaps the apple of his eye didn't fall far from the tree. From the pictures posted by Dave B, I would say she probably has what I am looking for. How to do it is the question.
Mike, do you have contact info for Dave Keck, I understand he is retired.
Thanks for the help fellows.
Robby
molon labe

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2021, 05:46:02 PM »
This thread got weird.

Reeves used just straight cartridge brass, 70/30.  He told me so a number of times.  Also, he ended up owning the foundry he was using, I believe.  I'm not sure what the deal is with his daughter at this point as I found it impossible to contact her.  I have seen her castings though and found them somewhat materially the same as was Reeves was selling although I don't think she's tumbling them.  Reeves tumbled his castings and that's why they were always shiny and 'slick' looking wth no grit to remove, but on the other hand, that process rounds edges which means when you file them up for inletting they get even smaller.

I don't know the exact details of his casting process but the reason his stuff seemed so soft was simply because it was extremely well-annealed.  Other than that it was straight cartridge brass. 

The stuff from the foundry Mike is using is great, it's not quite as 'bendy' as what Reeves had but it's quite soft and it's good yellow brass, good yellow color.  I don't know the exact alloy, maybe Mike will tell us if we actually ask a direct question.  Mike what's the alloy?  You probably already told me but you know, getting older and all. 

I don't need to tie a trigger guard into a pretzel so as long as I can bend things or planish/pien them without immediately cracking, and the color is right, I'm good.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2021, 08:21:00 PM »
I had purchased parts from Reeves in the past. He was a unique individual and perhaps the apple of his eye didn't fall far from the tree. From the pictures posted by Dave B, I would say she probably has what I am looking for. How to do it is the question.
Mike, do you have contact info for Dave Keck, I understand he is retired.
Thanks for the help fellows.
Robby

David Keck's contact info is on his webpage.  A lot of these guys have more than what they list on their webpage. 
http://knobmountainmuzzleloading.com/

Eric, 

I was communicating with her via email.  Here's the last email I received from her about a year ago with some instructions.  Like I said,  we were communicating but it never got an email back about finding the piece, so I moved on.

Hi. I will be at the Altoona show in April, and have all parts spread on table for you to choose the best fit. That’s the best way to select one. If you send me a photo I might have some ideas. Also, a maker name and locale would help, as items are sorted by Lancaster County, York County, Bucks Co, Berks Co, Lehigh Co, Bedford/western PA, jaeger, fowler, bess, VA, misc.
Warmly,
Jen Goehring
717-327-9634
GoehringCastings@yahoo.com
jennyandtheclowder@gmail.com

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2021, 09:03:43 PM »
Jenny had her dad’s castings on Etsy at one time, don’t know if she still does. The castings I received was not what I was expecting. I have included pictures, you make your own decisions. I am showing some of the older castings along with some of the new that Jenny has. As you can see there is a good bit of difference. I am not saying that the castings are bad. The ones I have used are good yellow brass, it’s just that they require more work to clean up and much of the details are lost. The only thing I would like for people to understand is if they buy Reeves castings today they will not get the castings that are shown in the photos of the old castings.

Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2021, 09:20:50 PM »
Looks like Reeve's new stuff is not tumbled. Mine aren't either. Mine look  just like Reeve's new stuff. I prefer untumbled castings. Tumbled castings loose  detail.

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2021, 10:23:25 PM »
  All the BP and TG I see on here looks great. I remember castings from the 70's and 80's  that resembled TG's and BP's and you spent all day filing with corse files just to get it all knocked off and shape lugs on TG, thin fine cut files then sand paper just to find a air pocket in the brass. Guy's today don't know how easy they got it. I'm thrilled to have the brass we have today.   Al
Alan K. Merrill

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2021, 02:03:18 AM »
Yep, have to say the only real difference I see is no tumbling.  I don't ever remember Reaves' castings having fine detail because they were tumbled and slicked all to heck!  But they were very, very smooth with no grit.

Honestly at this point I'm just happy not to have to cast anything myself unless I really need a one-of.  I can easily put up with some filing. Just means I can drink eat more calories and work it off.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!