Author Topic: May's smoothbore match,  (Read 1670 times)

Offline bob in the woods

May's smoothbore match,
« on: May 01, 2021, 11:51:39 PM »
I am exceptionally happy to have the smoothbore match continue on.  I initiated this because I  am fascinated by them , especially since they were the predominant firearm here in the 1700's and the " Milice" were noted to use them with great effect.  Far more temperamental than a rifle, they have their "sweet spot" re loading. There is a degree of luck, but as with most things, the more I shoot, the luckier I get  :)
This month I will  continue with the target from April , shot offhand at 50 yards, 5 shots per target
The difference is that any smoothbore with or without sights, flint or percussion is allowed.
Maybe we'll even see a matchlock, which is OK too. 
1/2 ball rule.  If we have a tie, the distance from centre for each shot will be added up to determine a winner .  This is all about getting out and shooting that smoothbore ! 
Looking forward to many many entries.
BTW- for those of us who are used to shooting without a rear sight, I don't think it's a big deal to allow the use of one in this month's match to gain additional entries, since it still is shot offhand.
The prize is a bottle of my bear oil, courtesy of last Fall's black bear and my smoothbore  :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 05:22:46 AM by bob in the woods »

Offline Daryl

Re: May's smoothbore match
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 01:52:40 AM »
Ahh - string measure for tie breaking - good idea.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Nessmuck

Re: May's smoothbore match
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 04:13:25 AM »
Maybe I can get 5 shots on the paper now....lol

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
Re: May's smoothbore match,
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 05:15:56 PM »
While rifles get all the glory, the smoothbore did the actual grunts work of settling the new world.
Psalms 144

Offline mwal

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 01:46:28 AM »
What are the targets?
Mwal

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 02:23:54 AM »
From Bob's post about the shoot. Now, I am not sure if we shoot 2 for score, or one per "score" but a number of times if we want to.

"This month I will  continue with the target from April , shot offhand at 50 yards, 5 shots per target
The difference is that any smoothbore with or without sights, flint or percussion is allowed.
Maybe we'll even see a matchlock, which is OK too.
1/2 ball rule.  If we have a tie, the distance from centre for each shot will be added up to determine a winner ."
Daryl

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 02:36:23 AM »
One submission for score.  Shoot 5 if you want, but only one needs to be counted.

Offline alacran

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 08:27:52 PM »
Shot this back on May 5th,but I forgot all about it. Don't know why there haven't been any submissions since Bob opened it up to sighted smoothbores. Any way I hope to get out and try this again. Still a little confused about submission for score but posted this anyway just to get the balls rolling, pun intended. Did not really have a great day . I will fall back on my best excuse, my underwear was too tight.

A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Maven

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 09:32:47 PM »
Wish I could use that excuse, alacran (Good target though)!  Although I would dearly like to submit a few targets for the May Frolic, a rib injury (playing softball with my grandchildren + re-injury at the gym last Friday) makes my participation problematic.  If I shoot at all, it will be from a rest and therefore not for record.  (I want to try tow wads + a bore sized RB one more time.)
Paul W. Brasky

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 11:13:02 PM »
I hope this will clear up any questions re the match.   You can shoot and show as many targets as you want .  Your best score is the one that counts.    Off hand, round balls only, 50 yards, front and rear sights are fine.  I'm hoping we'll see lots of entries.

Offline martin9

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 01:47:54 AM »
I shot one of my smoothbores yesterday...with sights. Wished I'd have thought to have a couple printed off targets with me. Had one of those can't miss days yesterday...prolly won't shot that well again all summer:>). I'll give it a go later this week.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2021, 02:59:20 AM »
Personally, I feel, perhaps selfishly, that SB matches should be "held" to 25 yards or meters.😀
Too, with summer upon us with expected time at the Lake(s) and rivers for many of us, I'm not sure how much monthly covid match shooting I will get "in".
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 03:03:10 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2021, 06:17:35 AM »
Daryl, I agree with you re the 25 yards.  I left this May match at 50 yards simply because of the fact that it was opened up to sighted smoothbores, and also because of the pervasive 3 in or less at 50 yards capability so often talked about .  Personally, I seldom see that kind of performance.
If a gun will shoot into 3 inches [ or less] at 50 yards, then getting 5 shots on an 8 1/2 in by 11 sheet of paper of hand should be doable by a good # of folks.  If not, then they have no business shooting at game at that distance...but that's just my opinion.  Rifles take some work to arrive at a load that is accurate.  I believe that smoothbores take a lot more work, and are finicky about it.
It took a lot of shooting with different combinations before I got mine to give the accuracy I was looking for.
Perhaps we should give these matches a rest until Fall , although I'm up for a June shoot if others are willing.

Offline tddeangelo

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2021, 03:36:10 PM »
I’ll try to shoot this one. The last match I didn’t think about till late in the month (turkeys on the brain), and then weather was not conducive to range time.

I’d like to give it a go this time around.