Author Topic: Help: Fusil de Chasse Gear?  (Read 1807 times)

Offline Panzerschwein

Help: Fusil de Chasse Gear?
« on: January 18, 2021, 07:38:01 AM »
Well hi all. I didn’t know whether to put this here or in another department so please bear with me.

I am researching what type gear could have been used by a man armed with a Fusil de Chasse during the French & Indian war or slightly before or slightly after.

How was the gun cleaned? Did original fusils have a threaded tip to accept a worm? I assume French military muskets had worms and imagine the fusils did too? Maybe a French musket tool would have been a common accompaniment to the fusil?

Also what about pouches and horns? I know of the Lemuel Lyman pouch which was meant to be affixed to the waist. And it seems period paintings show some woven cloth powder horn straps.

And how were they loaded? I seem to gather balls were the most common loading and they used wadding. Would they use tow wads? Over and under the ball or just over? Any reference to the wad being greased or lubed in any matter?

I’ve got a fusil being built for me and want to start thinking of ideas for the kit to make around it. Any guidance, tips, tricks, resources, examples, or suggestions are appreciated. God bless,

-Dillon
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 08:03:21 AM by Panzerschwein »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Help: Fusil de Chasse Gear?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 07:31:12 PM »
In a case like this I ask myself who would be using the gun, and where they would be using it. Someone in New France, say 1750 plus or minus. If you’re thinking Illinois country, then likely someone involved in trade of some kind, or a very early settler.

In my estimation all smoothbores would have some accommodation for a tow worm for cleaning. A gun has to be cleaned. In some cases the worm was permanently attached to the rod. Very uncomfortable arrangement. A tapered, threaded steel tip would be my choice.

Most sketches and paintings of New France are from the north and may not be much help in deciding what bag styles may be appropriate. It’s always fun to go with something of Native American style but when I don’t have much information, I tend to go simple and minimalist.  A simple 2 piece bag with a strap would work in so many situations. One piece is the back and flap, the other is the front. 
Andover, Vermont

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 08:52:01 PM »
In a case like this I ask myself who would be using the gun, and where they would be using it. Someone in New France, say 1750 plus or minus. If you’re thinking Illinois country, then likely someone involved in trade of some kind, or a very early settler.

In my estimation all smoothbores would have some accommodation for a tow worm for cleaning. A gun has to be cleaned. In some cases the worm was permanently attached to the rod. Very uncomfortable arrangement. A tapered, threaded steel tip would be my choice.

Most sketches and paintings of New France are from the north and may not be much help in deciding what bag styles may be appropriate. It’s always fun to go with something of Native American style but when I don’t have much information, I tend to go simple and minimalist.  A simple 2 piece bag with a strap would work in so many situations. One piece is the back and flap, the other is the front.

Thank you!

Being more specific I grew up a stones throw from Fort de Charters. In fact, me and my friends encountered a ghost there one night but that’s neither here nor there.

I’ve always wondered what a settler or explorer in that region might of had. No doubt the Fusil de Chasse would have been used at Fort de Charters?

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 09:32:32 PM »
Dillon,

I don't know that I can give much specific information, as this is not really my area of expertise... as if I have one... but I would like to throw a couple of ideas into the kettle.

I would urge you to go through the tables of contents of back issues of The Museum of the Fur Trade Quarterly (MOFTQ), which you can access via a link on this page.  All of the back issues are still in print, and can be ordered from the MOFT.  They have had a number of articles which may be of interest over the years.  Volume 5 (from 1969), with all four issues bound into one volume, has a couple of articles which may be of interest.  Volume 5, No. 3 has a good piece about gun worms (which is the proper name; "tow worm" is a modern term).  Of even more interest is Volume 5, No. 4, which has a well-illustrated four-and-a half page article entitled "Notes on Canadian Powder Horns."   One interesting point made in that article follows: "Canadian horns seem to have been generally attached to separate braided cords instead of the straps used to carry the Kentucky horn and bag as a single unit" (p.9).  This is a little detail that may not get much attention.

I would also suggest that you look through this paper which was produced by reenactors at Fort Ticonderoga:  Milice.  I understand you are not a reenactor, but you have expressed an interest in authentic equipment.  I'm the same way.  Anyhow, this paper, which will pop up as a PDF file, does have some good suggestions for authentic gun-related gear.  Well worth a look.

And, while this image may not be entirely appropriate to your question, it is just too good to pass over:

Entitled Un Vieux de '37 ("The Old One of '37"), by Henri Julien (1852-1908), this 1904 painting depicts an old militiaman answering the call to arms during the 1837 Patriote Rebellion.  I love this image.  The central character, believed to be one Edmond-Joseph-Édouard Mignault, carries a military musket rather than a fusil de chasse, but his accoutrements appear to be what you would expect of a civilian.  He has a large horn with a lot of white on it, which I understand was preferred.  There have been some lively discussions recently concerning "artistic license" in old paintings, but I believe this one holds up well under close scrutiny.  You can get more information here about it here:  150 Years.  If you click the image in that link, the picture enlarges and also provides you with a virtual "magnifying glass," so you really can scrutinize it closely.

Good luck with your quest!

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline Einsiedler

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 09:45:52 PM »
I found old pic of a Giberne in like Diterots Encyclopedia. And made this. Ol’ Lloyd Moler made the pulverin.

Offline Not English

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 05:14:12 AM »
Dillon, Chock out Muzzleloader Magazine. Matt Wulff has has had some very good articles about his becoming a french milicien. Specifically look at the Sep/Oct and Nov/Dec issues. Please post what you find or decide. I'm kind of at the same point. My interests are in the French in Ouisconsing (Wi.)

Dave

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 06:49:16 PM »
Dillon, Chock out Muzzleloader Magazine. Matt Wulff has has had some very good articles about his becoming a french milicien. Specifically look at the Sep/Oct and Nov/Dec issues. Please post what you find or decide. I'm kind of at the same point. My interests are in the French in Ouisconsing (Wi.)

Dave

Very cool and I will. I need to get a prescription to it... or is it a subscription?? I always mix those two up lol!

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 06:55:08 PM »
Dillon,

I don't know that I can give much specific information, as this is not really my area of expertise... as if I have one... but I would like to throw a couple of ideas into the kettle.

I would urge you to go through the tables of contents of back issues of The Museum of the Fur Trade Quarterly (MOFTQ), which you can access via a link on this page.  All of the back issues are still in print, and can be ordered from the MOFT.  They have had a number of articles which may be of interest over the years.  Volume 5 (from 1969), with all four issues bound into one volume, has a couple of articles which may be of interest.  Volume 5, No. 3 has a good piece about gun worms (which is the proper name; "tow worm" is a modern term).  Of even more interest is Volume 5, No. 4, which has a well-illustrated four-and-a half page article entitled "Notes on Canadian Powder Horns."   One interesting point made in that article follows: "Canadian horns seem to have been generally attached to separate braided cords instead of the straps used to carry the Kentucky horn and bag as a single unit" (p.9).  This is a little detail that may not get much attention.

I would also suggest that you look through this paper which was produced by reenactors at Fort Ticonderoga:  Milice.  I understand you are not a reenactor, but you have expressed an interest in authentic equipment.  I'm the same way.  Anyhow, this paper, which will pop up as a PDF file, does have some good suggestions for authentic gun-related gear.  Well worth a look.

And, while this image may not be entirely appropriate to your question, it is just too good to pass over:

Entitled Un Vieux de '37 ("The Old One of '37"), by Henri Julien (1852-1908), this 1904 painting depicts an old militiaman answering the call to arms during the 1837 Patriote Rebellion.  I love this image.  The central character, believed to be one Edmond-Joseph-Édouard Mignault, carries a military musket rather than a fusil de chasse, but his accoutrements appear to be what you would expect of a civilian.  He has a large horn with a lot of white on it, which I understand was preferred.  There have been some lively discussions recently concerning "artistic license" in old paintings, but I believe this one holds up well under close scrutiny.  You can get more information here about it here:  150 Years.  If you click the image in that link, the picture enlarges and also provides you with a virtual "magnifying glass," so you really can scrutinize it closely.

Good luck with your quest!

Notchy Bob

Thanks, Notchy! Very interesting and I don’t recall ever seeing a braided cord style powder horn strap. I wonder if one could be made relatively easily? I am leaning towards a Lemuel Lyman style pouch because I wouldn’t carry much (some ball, tow, flints, gun worm, turnscrew, about it really) and it seems compact and of course we do have it being an actual period pouch. I just wonder if such belt pouches were a more military item as in Lemuel’s case, or if civilians could have been running around with them too?

I read about the Canadian milice in that article you posted and it seems those fellows were in fact issues a gun worm. No mention is made of the worm being already attached to a rod or wiping stick, so it seems to be obvious that a threaded tip was probable for the fusil’s ramrod.

Lots of nifty reading and I’ll be thumbing though those! Thanks! :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 07:11:33 PM by Panzerschwein »

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 06:56:33 PM »
I found old pic of a Giberne in like Diterots Encyclopedia. And made this. Ol’ Lloyd Moler made the pulverin.

Love that! Very handsome and unique rig. Thanks for sharing, Einsiedler!

PS: By chance does your handle come from Einsiedlerhoff, Germany? I was stationed very near there about a decade ago at Ramstein Air Base.

Offline Einsiedler

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 10:28:09 PM »
Thanks Panzerschwein,

No actually I am "Der Einsiedler" around the creekbottom here.

The Hermit! 😊