Author Topic: Dolep lock dimensions  (Read 1350 times)

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Dolep lock dimensions
« on: January 14, 2021, 06:05:03 PM »
Several years ago, Jim Kibler sold castings for a Dolep lock.  I was hoping that someone who purchased a set of these castings could tell me the length of the lock plate and the approximate height behind the pan.  I have a kids .410 N. E. fowler in the planning and was looking into the possibilities of this lock, of course, if the dimensions were correct for my project then I would need to come up with the lock castings. Thanks, David

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Re: Dolep lock dimensions
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 07:40:50 PM »
Dave the plate is 5 1/16" x 7/8"
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 07:43:33 PM »
Dave if that works, I would be willing to brings the castings to Mel's show for you. I will take whatever Jim was selling the castings for, I have not worked on it any.

Jim
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 01:52:10 AM »
Hi Dave,
I don't believe the Dolep lock is a style you will find very often on New England fowlers.  It is from the end of the 17th century through the first decade of the 18th.  It has a rounded face but with the double curve in the bottom edge common to English and Dutch locks from that period.  I have not seen any NE examples using it although I am sure there is some example out there.  You might be better off using Chamber's small round-faced English lock.

dave   
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Clint

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 04:37:57 AM »
Dave,
TRS has a nice selection of round face pistol locks. The trick with TRS is #! remember the time zones, they're in Oklahoma. #2 have a short list of alternatives, they don't have everything in stock. so you want to give yourself latitude. If you don't have a catalog I can scan a bunch of pages for email. I have a 1995 catalog that is a resourse all by itself.
CW

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 06:01:19 PM »
Hi Dave,
I don't believe the Dolep lock is a style you will find very often on New England fowlers.  It is from the end of the 17th century through the first decade of the 18th.  It has a rounded face but with the double curve in the bottom edge common to English and Dutch locks from that period.  I have not seen any NE examples using it although I am sure there is some example out there.  You might be better off using Chamber's small round-faced English lock.

dave
Dave,
I might have misquoted myself when I said N.E. Fowler.  I have attached pics of the triggerguard I cast up as well as the swaged buttplate.  They are Dutch in style.  As always, I appreciate your research and feedback.  I am still designing this project so comments are always welcome.
David