Author Topic: Bedding Recommendations  (Read 3764 times)

Offline A.Merrill

Re: Bedding Recommendations
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2021, 05:12:16 AM »
Pro Bed 2000.   Al
Alan K. Merrill

Offline DHouse

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2021, 07:54:28 PM »
Would anyone happen to have a photo of what a good, snug breech inlet should look like? Was hoping to see soot-marks or inletting-black marks on a stock's breech area, to show what good stock-contact looks like so I can compare it to what I've got so far. I have not been able to find a photo online and am kind of stabbing in the dark, not sure when it will be good enough and starting to feel like I'm chasing my tail.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2021, 08:31:40 PM »
Even with a bedded breech I’d be surprised if one approaches more than 50% contact unless the transfer agent is slathered on. This is something people obsess over based on what they read about modern gun accuracy in magazines from the 1950s forward.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Not English

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2021, 04:40:19 AM »
DHouse, no photos. I use nondrying Prussian blue for my inletting. It's pretty straight forward. Coat the bottom sides and sides of the breach plug with transfer color. Also coat the bottom barrel flats near the breach plug as well. When you have color on all  mating surfaces, you're there. This may be an over simplification, but it's really that simple.

Dave

Offline DHouse

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2021, 06:05:33 PM »
Rich, that is actually encouraging, if that's the case I am probably doing better than I originally thought.
Dave, I appreciate the tip, I have located Prussian Blue at a store near me and plan to pick-up some today to try. I will clean-off all the soot on both stock and barrel and restart with P.Blue to see if things make more sense or see what I discover. I really appreciate the advice more than you know.
Regards,
DHouse

Online dieselmech570

• Starting Member
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2021, 06:17:49 PM »
just be sure to go "super" light with the prussian blue! Think- old tooth brush scrubbed on the part to be inletted to the point that you almost cannot see the bluing on the part being inlet.  It's easy to use too much! Then you really have a mess. (I read that in a book somewhere, I would have never actually done that!)

Offline bptactical

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2021, 06:37:38 PM »
Devcon 10110. You cant dye it and it has powdered steel in it, it will get rusty looking flecks to it. Sets up very tight but doesnt get brittle with age like Acraglass will.
The most important thing to be learned from those who demand “Equality For All” is that all are not equal

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2021, 06:58:00 PM »
Here are a pictures of the breech area of my current Jaeger project. I hand inlet the barrel and breech plug and to me this would be the minimum acceptable amount of contact in the breech area. After talking a second look at these pictures I will probably do just a tad more to get it a little closer. All in all though I have transfer on all the contact surfaces which means I am very close.  :o :o

Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2021, 06:34:03 AM »
 If somebody wants to use bedding in the gun he's building I think he should. It doesn't mean he did a poor job of inteling. I think it can in prove accuracy.  In the 70's and 80's I knew 2 national champions and 3 state champions  and guess what, they all had the breech bedded in their guns. I think the problem here is people just don't want to use it or scared to try it because they never have and don't wanting to learn how and it will take them more time and money to get the job done. If that the case say so or don't say anything.  I use it on most guns and I can inlet the breech end as good as anybody.    Al
Alan K. Merrill

Offline DHouse

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2021, 04:00:37 PM »
Thanks a TON for the photos Jim!! That is so incredibly helpful I can't even tell you! Based on your photos, I am nearly there! I have been inletting this dang barrel and breech for what feels like months and to see the light at the end of the tunnel is so encouraging.

Al, I appreciate what you say, and am still considering concealed bedding in only the breech area. Especially after hearing about the accuracy it lends itself to! Very tempting to say the least. Time will tell.

Thanks All for your great advice. I couldn't pursue this passion without it. I am very grateful for this resource and all your input.

DHouse

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2021, 11:59:41 PM »
I have used bedding compound (Pro Bed 2000) on my last rifle and on the current one I am working on. Since I am a beginner and don't have the talent to do perfect inletting I found it helpful fill slight gaps.

A while back I took apart a rifle I had made by a well known rifle builder and noticed bedding at the base of the breach of the barrel. I had a couple other rifles made by him and they had the same compound in the same place. I asked him why he used bedding and he said that the area of the rifle where the breach of the barrel meets the lock and trigger set is the weakest part of the stock and he felt it added strength. He said that depending on how much chisel work it took to square up the breach in the stock could contribute to a weak spot. That was what he told me and it made sense to me.
Rob