Author Topic: Short Guys & Long Barrels?  (Read 3723 times)

Offline Panzerschwein

Short Guys & Long Barrels?
« on: January 16, 2021, 12:13:15 AM »
Hey yall. :)

I am 5’ 6.5” tall and with shoes that’s about 5’ 7.5” tall.

I’m submitting specs for a custom rifle (Allen Martin Schimmel) and am trying to decide on barrel length. I would like a 46” barrel if I could get away with it, but might also settle for a 44” barrel.

Anyone out there about my height shoot a 46” barrel such as what’s found on Kibler SMR’s etc.? I love the long and graceful look but don’t want to have a gun that’s real tough to load.

Thanks!

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Short Guys & Long Barrels?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 12:37:31 AM »
I am taller but want a rifle that will fit across the back seat of my pic up and one with a 44" barrel is about right for that criteria.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 12:42:38 AM »
Thanks, Walmart!

Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline recurve

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 12:49:33 AM »
My 44 inch barrel lancaster is 59.5 inches total  length can't find a gun safe it will fit in

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 12:52:09 AM »

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 12:57:20 AM »
As I am 6'1" I called my buddy Elmer Fudd and he said 44-inches works great. My SMR with a 46-inch barrel (Kibler) makes the entire length of 62.5 inches my Gillespie with a 44-inch barrel measures 60 inches. Get a dowel or 2x2 that long and see how it measures up for being able to load easily.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 01:01:44 AM »
Main question: How old are you? How fit are you?
As a young man I was comfortable with a 10 pound gun with a 47” barrel. I shot the best scores in my life as a fit 40 year old. That gun won’t work for me now unfortunately. If you’re a mid-60s guy like I am, a shorter barrel, 8 pound gun works better. Sadly I’m guessing that they are going to have to lose some weight as I age.
 Of course this doesn’t apply to collectible guns.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 01:07:32 AM »
Main question: How old are you? How fit are you?
As a young man I was comfortable with a 10 pound gun with a 47” barrel. I shot the best scores in my life as a fit 40 year old. That gun won’t work for me now unfortunately. If you’re a mid-60s guy like I am, a shorter barrel, 8 pound gun works better. Sadly I’m guessing that they are going to have to lose some weight as I age.
 Of course this doesn’t apply to collectible guns.

I am 30 and am reasonably fit. Air Force civil engineering (construction and maintenance) keeps me in pretty good shape. The weight on an M1 Garand or Mosin Nagant don’t bother me for example.

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 01:14:24 AM »
If practicality mattered to me I would sell everything and buy just one bolt gun with a plastic stock from Walmart. So my advice is get what appeals to you.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline BillF/TRF

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 01:47:47 AM »
I have a 42" swamped barrel York County rifle. Total length is 58".  I am 5' 7" so that when holding my rifle upright on the floor I can imagine adding 4 inches to that gun and I can still see over the top.  I am 74 years old and I shot that rifle at the range and rendezvous all last summer and had no problem loading and holding it.  I am looking at buying  a Kibler SMR as well.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2021, 01:54:07 AM »
Go with as much weight as you can hold. Don’t go with too much trigger pull. I’m 6’4” and 13 3/8” is great. Could have been shorter. A gun with a too long trigger pull is very uncomfortable to shoot. 14” is too far to reach for me. The good news is that Allen is a good listener and should get you where you need to be. I’ve had a glass or two of Kentucky’s best with him.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Not English

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2021, 01:57:12 AM »
Panzer, My advice is to  go with what trips your trigger. If you do, you'll probably be more inclined to use it more. I got a tulle with a 52 1/2" barrel. I'm 5'9'' just to give you an idea. All you really need to do is just let the rest of the gun stick out behind you when loading. It's no different than loading a gun that is held vertically.

Dave

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2021, 02:29:36 AM »
Sounds like there's time to work out what you want. Maybe consider making a try gunstock out of plywood that you can play around with trigger pull, drop, sighting radius, offset, weight and/or whatever matters. Just an outline with a nail for the trigger and sights taped on might answer some questions.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2021, 03:44:45 AM »
I am taller but want a rifle that will fit across the back seat of my pic up and one with a 44" barrel is about right for that criteria.
My Beck with a 44" bl. just fits across the backseat of my F350 with an inch or so of room. A 48" will fit(seems to me, but just barely.
It really needs to be on an angle, due to protruding arm rests, etc.
The length of pull & gun design will also make a difference in overall length.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 03:53:47 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2021, 04:29:14 AM »
Where does your concern about the length lie?
Loading? Put the stock further behind you on the ground. The gun doesn't need to be straight up and down to load.
Or in holding on target? Sound like you have the fitness aspect covered.
So, get what you like.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2021, 04:48:26 AM »
My .69 weighs 9 1/2 pounds. I find it as easy to hold and shoot as I did 34 years ago, but now, that's about the perfect weight. Any more, like well over 10 pounds like
Taylor's Hawken or 11 pound Virginia rifle (maybe I've got those 2 bass ackwards) and that's a bit too much. Age 70 & in fair shape (round is a shape).
Daryl

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2021, 04:59:09 AM »
Where does your concern about the length lie?
Loading? Put the stock further behind you on the ground. The gun doesn't need to be straight up and down to load.
Or in holding on target? Sound like you have the fitness aspect covered.
So, get what you like.

I thought it might be too tall for me to load but it seems that is absolutely a non issue so that makes me smile! The weight is no problem.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2021, 06:27:41 AM »
I have 46” and 48” barrels.  I’m 5’9” on a good day.  Weight distribution is the key.  No problem loading either.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Daryl

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2021, 06:45:27 AM »
For cleaning the long barrels, I merely stand on the second step so I can get a full rod pull drawing in the water and pushing it out again, out the vent.
This makes cleaning, a 8 to 10 minute job.
Daryl

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2021, 04:51:31 PM »
Daryl,

What you say about your gun being as easy to hold  as it was 34 years ago, is a good example of how muscles get used to a weight if handled  often enough.
As for barrels, I think practicality is seen different for each of us.,  No rights and wrongs...  Just "differents'.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2021, 09:32:38 PM »
Richard - absolutely.
There was a time, a period of 3 years where I could not shoulder that rifle due to my back troubles.  I foolishly sold the rifle to my close friend and hunting partner
 for a pittance as he wanted a rifle made by Taylor.  After 3 1/2 years of it being out of my hands, he sold it back to me ("to stop your constant complaining" - LOL)
I had to learn to shoot it all over again, but perseverance payed off.
Daryl

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2021, 10:24:34 PM »
 :D :D :D :D...  will ye be shootin' targets or huntin'...??? ... my match rifle has a 64" barrel, and overall length of 81" ... I'm almost 6ft. tall, and she's a bit tricky to load, but ye git used to it, and it don't matter atall when yer layin' on yer belly shootin' a good string of targets,.... 

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2021, 10:41:15 PM »
Great picture from Cades Cove Fiddler.  That is truly a long rifle.  The comments about how you intend to use it are good to consider.  If you plan to hunt large game or compete in timed events, the longer barrel may slow down your  reloading time.   A couple of seconds could make a difference on getting a second shot if you need one.  The longer barrel is more graceful, hands down.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2021, 10:59:28 PM »
:D :D :D :D...  will ye be shootin' targets or huntin'...??? ... my match rifle has a 64" barrel, and overall length of 81" ... I'm almost 6ft. tall, and she's a bit tricky to load, but ye git used to it, and it don't matter atall when yer layin' on yer belly shootin' a good string of targets,.... 

Great pic. Here’s that pic we were talking about Dana from over the stall at my local eatery. Someone needs to edit you into that pic...

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2021, 11:16:21 PM »
I'd be mostly a shootin' in the desert just a havins funs I would. Mostly offhand stuff from the bag, afters the 'nitial loads works.