Author Topic: Short Guys & Long Barrels?  (Read 4053 times)

Offline 577SXS

Re: Short Guys & Long Barrels?
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2021, 12:01:00 AM »
I like shorter guns and I'm 5"11". I have a 42" Virginia rifle and I think it's too long. My 38" Isaac Haines guns and 37" Edward Marshall guns are perfect for me. I set butt on my foot and muzzle is at the perfect height to load. Yes the longer guns look great and feel good but you need a stump hole to put butt in to load them! HA HA

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2021, 12:29:43 AM »
I would be more concerned with weight distribution and balance that barrel length.  As is evidenced here, you can load any length of barrel easily.  So the length of trigger pull comes into play as well as where the weight IS in the rifle.  For example, if your barrel is 1" across the flats without taper or swamp, and 42 - 48" long, you'll have to be very strong to shoot it offhand, even once.  But if the barrel is nicely swamped and the LOP is correct, a very long rifle can be handled nicely.  My observation is that most shooters and builders think one needs a minimum of 14" lop.  I'm 6'2" x 240 pounds and prefer 13 1/2" of lop with a drop at the comb of around 1 1/2".  That gives me a rifle that I can shoot all day long offhand.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2021, 01:13:22 AM »
Thanks guys!

The gun in question will be a Allen Martin Lehigh Schimmel of .45 caliber with a swamped barrel. Based on some stats Allen gave me it should weigh 7.5 lbs or less with a 46" barrel. I'm pretty in shape my arm endurance is pretty good when shooting heavier guns. Also my LOP is 13.5.

Yall think it'd be OK?

Offline BJH

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2021, 01:33:53 AM »
You’ll be fine. With that combo. Just be sure you give Allen all the info he asks for to make it fit you. He’s a neighbor and have handled a lot of his gins.  BJH
BJH

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2021, 01:47:09 AM »
You’ll be fine. With that combo. Just be sure you give Allen all the info he asks for to make it fit you. He’s a neighbor and have handled a lot of his gins.  BJH

Yay!

Allen is very friendly and enjoyable to converse with. A gentleman to be sure!

Offline utseabee

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2021, 05:53:57 AM »
    You'll be fine with a 46" Barrel. I am 5'7" and don't have any problem with a 46"barrel especially if Allen builds it. He'll get the balance right.  He is building me a rifle with a 49" barrel right now. If you are paying for a top quality custom rifle, you might as well get what you like.
The difficult we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer.

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2021, 11:53:35 PM »
    You'll be fine with a 46" Barrel. I am 5'7" and don't have any problem with a 46"barrel especially if Allen builds it. He'll get the balance right.  He is building me a rifle with a 49" barrel right now. If you are paying for a top quality custom rifle, you might as well get what you like.

Yay! :D

Offline Daryl

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2021, 03:43:31 AM »
Length of pull also changes, with butt design. Is it meant to be out on the arm, with heavy hook under or in your arm pit, or does it have a shotgun-type flat butt meant to be
held on the chest or in the chest pocket between pectoral muscle and shoulder joint?
Design will also play to length of pull.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2021, 08:21:25 PM »
  A fine rifle is no different than a fine wing shooting gun. When it hits your arm or shoulder. You should not be looking for the sights. They should be right their... Also when you pick your lop, remember your hunting
coat..  Well that's how I set mine up...Oldtravler

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2021, 11:12:31 PM »
I am getting a bit of a chuckle out of this thread.  One day I ran into something in the Pottstown, PA newspaper about a problem they had at militia shoots in Pottstown after the Rev War.  The guys would have their rifles loaded and ready to go at the militia shoot.  Waiting to go to the line and shoot.  The report was about one shooter who stood in line with the butt of the rifle on the ground and him resting his chin on the muzzle.  Then for some reason the gun discharged and killed him.  The news report stated that this rifle under the chin was an all too common thing at these militia shoots.  Well, if your rifle is taller than you then you can't use it as a possibly deadly chin rest. 

Offline thelongrifle

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2021, 03:40:50 PM »
I am 6’3’’ I had a Fowler with a 53 inc barrel. Just lean the butt out a little farther away from you and load away.