Author Topic: TOW Gravers  (Read 1401 times)

Offline SyLibby

• Starting Member
TOW Gravers
« on: January 16, 2021, 01:32:36 AM »
Hello All,
 Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I picked up a few gravers from TOW to start practicing and learning.  So far all I have accomplished is breaking the tip off of one.  It is the #3 square graver. I was using annealed sheet brass.  The graver point bent almost immediately on contact.  I was wondering if they needed to be hardened before use. And if someone could recommend a good resource for learning more about the topic.  Thank you.

Offline smylee grouch

Re: TOW Gravers
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 01:39:47 AM »
There are books and you tube videos to help you get started and to show you how to shape and sharpen the gravers

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 02:30:11 AM »
Go here and play around.  The manual tools work great and the sharpening system almost eliminates the learning curve for sharpening gravers.  https://www.airgraver.com/sharpening.htm

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 04:56:05 AM »
Sounds like you got a graver that hasn't been hardened, possibly an oversight.  That is assuming that you sharpened the graver?  Is it possible you overheated the tip by grinding?

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline SyLibby

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 05:21:20 AM »
Hi Curtis. I was trying to sharpen by hand. I don't have a wheel that will do these. I'm realizing it's going to be a lot more learning.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 06:47:48 AM »
You do  need a tiny angle ground/shaped on the bottom back side of the tip. This so your graver won't try to go deeper as you progress down the line. If you go too deep you risk breaking the tip.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 04:27:12 PM »
Hi Curtis. I was trying to sharpen by hand. I don't have a wheel that will do these. I'm realizing it's going to be a lot more learning.

You’re on the right track- lots more learning. The Lindsay sharpening system works well, fast, reproducible. His website is hard to navigate.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 05:24:05 PM »
I too will endorse the Lindsay sharpening system. It produces sharp, consistent points, quickly and is priced modestly. You have a wide choice of angles to choose from and you can shape the graver from a blank as well as sharpen. Lindsay also sells three different steel alloy graver blanks of extremely high quality for less money than anyone on the internet. I would suggest having a magnifying glass to get a close up view of the graver point. As an instructor, I notice frequently that there is confusion about dull points, broken tips and uneven heels. See if anyone in your area does a workshop. A day of two of introductory engraving may be equal to months of experimentation.  I conduct about four  workshops a year but suspect you don't live anywhere near Oregon.