General discussion > Shop Made Tools

Tapered breech plug wrench

(1/2) > >>

577SXS:
Several times when I was removing breech plugs I'd use a Cresent wrench to clamp on the plug. I'd use lead sheet to protect the plug but I always seem to get a scratch or two that got marred. I just got in a new Rice barrel and wanted to pull the breech plug out. I had decided to make a solid tool steel wrench to fit perfectly. Well as I got to thinking I decided to try something else first. I had a cheap Chinese Cresent wrench hanging on the wall so I took my side grinder to the upper jaw. I didn't like that so I tried a file which normally would not cut a GOOD wrench because of hardened jaw. Well my file cut it fine and I filed the top jaw on a taper to fit breech plug. I didn't have to file moveable jaw because of the slop in it. Pulled plug right out without a scratch.

be safe images

WKevinD:
Of you get a chance try one of Rices breech plug wrenchs.

Kevin

rmnc3r:
I ground an angle and soldered on brass plate to the Jaws of mine

smylee grouch:
One inch square X 12 inch long key stock + four 5/16 bolts can be adjusted to fit any taper.

Thats two pieces of key stock not just one. IIRC it was about $3-4 bucks worth of stuff to make when I made it.

P.W.Berkuta:

--- Quote from: smylee grouch on January 31, 2021, 09:54:59 PM ---One inch square X 12 inch long key stock + four 5/16 bolts can be adjusted to fit any taper.

Thats two pieces of key stock not just one. IIRC it was about $3-4 bucks worth of stuff to make when I made it.

--- End quote ---

YUP -- that's what I made also but on mine I cut the ends at 3" long - turned them round so I can slip a pipe over the ends - take sup less room when I put it away ;D ;D ;).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version