Author Topic: Twined bag  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Einsiedler

Twined bag
« on: January 16, 2021, 04:32:46 PM »
Greetings!

I used to twine and fingerweave very much. But this is the first bag I’ve finished in at least 15 years. Most all my yarn was eaten up. I managed to find some good stuff to use in my pile. Did this bag for a fellow reenactor to use for a tobacco pouch.

I put a simple ticking liner inside.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Twined bag
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 04:59:30 PM »
 Nice work.

Tim C.

Offline Einsiedler

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 05:06:03 PM »
Thank you sir!

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 12:37:53 AM »
That’s pretty neat...nice work!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Einsiedler

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 01:05:12 AM »
Thanks sir!

I’ve made larger shoulder bags in the past that make good pouches and such. Here are two small “pockets" that I use to carry sundry items within. The small bag on the left I made to carry fishing hooks and such in. I tried to twine a gar into the weave, but it came out looking like and  ichthyosaur LOL!

I used to get all my yarn from Susan Wallace at Silver Shuttle. But That was so long ago and I cannot find any info on her.  She did a lot of her own dying with natural dyes. I will find a new spot for yarn.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 12:15:21 PM »
Very nice. Certainly a skill I wouldn't mind learning. How long does it take to make a small pouch like that?

Offline Einsiedler

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 04:16:46 PM »
Very nice. Certainly a skill I wouldn't mind learning. How long does it take to make a small pouch like that?

Well it kinda depends on how much you work on it. :).
Probably on average around 12-16 hours. Maybe more.

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 11:35:37 PM »
Outstanding!  You do great work, Einseidler!

I recently found a historical study (actually someone's Master's thesis) concerning the relationship between white settlers and the native Mesquakie and Potawatomi people in Iowa in the mid-19th century.  Twined goods, especially bags like those, were staple items of trade offered by the Indians for farm produce and other goods from the settlers.  So, they were highly valued back in the day, and not uncommon.

It's great to see someone carrying on the tradition of making these.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline Einsiedler

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 03:08:18 AM »
Thanks NB. I wished I could find more yarn like used in that pocket on the right. Yarn was dyed from madder and indigo. Looked really nice!    I need to start another bag. Maybe something hunting pouch size.

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 05:10:40 AM »
Einsiedler; Minnesota Historical Society 1982. Soft cover book Where Two Worlds Meet. the Great Lakes fur trade.Page 106 **#234 YARN BAG> early 1900's. Ethnologist Frances Densmore collected this finger-woven bag (5-1/2" long by 6"wide) inMinnesota before 1930 as an example of traditional Ojibway weaving methods. Such bags were used as containers for personal belongings. Have a good evening. Thanks for sharing. AJ .

"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline Einsiedler

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 04:00:48 PM »
Some of my personal items. The bag on the left was partially consumed by insects. It is still servicable. Just kinda holy. And not in a good way.  :).

The tumplines come in handy on the hunt. I use the bottom one as a sash.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 05:15:08 PM »
That’s some neat work!  I’d be interested in a “how to” on those tump lines, if you’d be interested in sharing. I’ve done some very basic fingerweaving to make a couple of powderhorn straps, but haven’t progressed any further than that.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Einsiedler

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2021, 04:09:05 PM »
Ok tumplines are really easy. Just kind of a pain due to their size. When I get a moment I’ll set done and try to start a thread on how I do it.

I think there are now how to videos on twining on youtube. I don’t get as fancy a youtube and all.

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2021, 03:36:08 PM »
Thats some very nice looking stuff. I sure like the spoon and the comb. I think your ichthyosaur looks like a norwall in one direction and a star nosed mole in the other. I like it!
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper