Author Topic: My first flintlock deer  (Read 3739 times)

Offline James

My first flintlock deer
« on: January 17, 2021, 05:18:58 AM »
I have deer hunted for 45 years, only started flintlock hunting 10 years ago. Tried 2 different production guns, then built a rifle based on the work of Andrew Fichthorn. Everything came together yesterday when a cousin who hunts my farm offered to walk through one of my wood lots to move deer toward me. First one was a buck and I had already filled my tag during rifle season. The next stopped behind a tree with just it’s bald head and neck exposed at 70 yards. I squeezed and had a hangfire, but stayed with it and hit it in the neck. A special hunt I will never forget. **EDIT: it is a likely 2 1/2 year old buck that already dropped his antlers. Small peduncles make me sure he was genetically not the best.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 06:33:22 AM by James »
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: My first flintlock deer
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 05:31:24 AM »
That’s a nice big fat old doe. Congrats. So much fun....

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 05:42:58 AM »
Good job James. Can you tell us more about the gun and load?

Offline James

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 06:07:43 AM »

I used a patched .490 roundball and 95 grains of FFFg.  It is my first build, started as a big-boned precarve stock that I removed a ton of wood from. Chambers lock, Deluxe Siler if I recall. The barrel is a 42” Green Mountain, .50 cal.. I made the front sight from a Franklin half and the hunter’s star from a Peace dollar. Both coins were found by my kids here on our farm and sold to me at a premium 🤔😉 . I forged the trigger as close to Fichthorn’s type as I could get from photos. I forged a one-piece patchbox release similar to the type used by the Womelsdorf/Reading gunsmiths. I did my interpretation of Fichthorn’s carving on, if I recall, gun #83 in Kindig’s book. The wiping stick I made from pignut hickory harvested from one of my wood lots.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 06:11:43 AM by James »
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline Wingshot

• Brand new NMLRA member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 06:19:40 AM »
Great shot on nice plump doe! Rifle is gorgeous. Congrats!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 08:02:46 AM »
Well done, James! Nice, comfortable looking rifle for shooting, as well.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 10:51:27 AM »
Well done, way to follow through. Congratulations.
Nice rifle too.

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 12:06:14 PM »
Nice! Isn't it fun!

Online alacran

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 01:05:26 PM »
Congratulations! That is a deer and hunt you will never forget.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 01:59:17 PM »
Congrats to ya. Nice rifle. I like it
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline StevenV

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 06:47:41 PM »
Congrats James , that is what I consider a priceless experience. Being able to harvest a deer with a (nice) rifle you made in flintlock season with some snow , doesn't get much better than that.      Steve

Offline old george

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 01:45:52 AM »
Another successful hunter with a flint...well done James, enjoy that venison

george
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 01:54:47 AM »
Beautiful rifle, beautiful deer, and beautiful man. Congrats!

Offline yesterdayschild

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2021, 03:34:05 PM »
Hopefully this one was the ice breaker and will be the first of many to be taken. Congratulations!

Offline meangene1969

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2021, 07:21:10 PM »
congrats and beautiful rifle, looking for my first with black powder this next season.

Offline James

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2021, 02:33:21 PM »
Thank you all for the kind words. It is a great feeling. I am glad my first was with this rifle, even if it took this long for success. Venison roasts, loin steaks and ring bologna are on the menu. With 5 hunters in the house, we never lack for venison, but this one will taste different.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2021, 12:53:52 AM »
Nothing can ever beat that feeling of taking one's first-flintlock deer with a rifle you built yourself.  That rifle, by the way, is a beauty.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline john bohan

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2021, 01:10:41 AM »
Good for you James, I remember the first time I took my new t/c hawkins hunting I missed 3 deer on the way to the stand and one out of the stand. Now I build all my own and carry a flinter in rifle season.

Offline Skychief

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2021, 09:10:58 AM »
Wonderful!  Congratulations on your fine buck.  Wish there were more hunting threads here.  Yours is greatly appreciated.  Nice to see the "old" guns doing what they're designed to do!

Best regards, Skychief.

Offline wolf

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2021, 06:05:13 PM »
very nice gun, and good shootin,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I have never "harvested" a critter but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,

DaMitch

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2021, 06:12:01 PM »
What a great looking (and shooting) rifle.  Well Done on that nice deer.
Dave

MTGUNNER

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2021, 02:01:32 AM »

I used a patched .490 roundball and 95 grains of FFFg.  It is my first build, started as a big-boned precarve stock that I removed a ton of wood from. Chambers lock, Deluxe Siler if I recall. The barrel is a 42” Green Mountain, .50 cal.. I made the front sight from a Franklin half and the hunter’s star from a Peace dollar. Both coins were found by my kids here on our farm and sold to me at a premium 🤔😉 . I forged the trigger as close to Fichthorn’s type as I could get from photos. I forged a one-piece patchbox release similar to the type used by the Womelsdorf/Reading gunsmiths. I did my interpretation of Fichthorn’s carving on, if I recall, gun #83 in Kindig’s book. The wiping stick I made from pignut hickory harvested from one of my wood lots.

Sweeet Rifle!

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2021, 05:33:53 PM »
Congratulations! Any game or varmint taken with a rock lock is a trophy in my book.  I luv shooting deer with my rifle guns.
You built yourself a good-looking long rifle too!
I get lighting fast ignition consistency by not over priming my pan, keeping it well below the touch hole.  No hang-fires.  I also re-prime throughout the day.

Offline James

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2021, 06:11:29 AM »
Congratulations! Any game or varmint taken with a rock lock is a trophy in my book.  I luv shooting deer with my rifle guns.
You built yourself a good-looking long rifle too!
I get lighting fast ignition consistency by not over priming my pan, keeping it well below the touch hole.  No hang-fires.  I also re-prime throughout the day.

Normally have very quick ignition. We were having a super high humidity day with a lot of sublimation of the snow. Pan powder was crusting over badly, went too long from the last repriming and then there were deer, just glad it all worked out.

Offline pilot

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2021, 06:32:55 AM »
That rifle looks like it is your tenth build, not your first.  Very well done!  Congrats on the deer, too!