Author Topic: Pnuematic Engraving  (Read 3754 times)

Offline dogcatcher

Re: Pnuematic Engraving
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2021, 11:25:33 AM »
If you have more time than money or like to make your own tools you might be interested in this video.

There are more by this guy, and the leader of the homemade systems, Shaun Hughes. 

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2021, 06:11:32 PM »
The GRS vs Lindsay airgraver is an endless debate. Both are proven systems. In a perfect world, demo both.  I will add a note about the statement of the GRS having a larger power range. That might have been true at one time, but with the option of a tungsten piston for the smaller handpick and the advent of the Nitro hand piece, the Lindsay has the larger power range. One of my students bought one of the new pulse airless  gravers from Tira Michell is very pleased. It seems to be priced more modestly than the GRS or Lindsay.

On the subject of make you own power graver. I know a guy who tried making his own and threw it away after wasting a lot of time. Getting a power graver to start and stop in a predictable manner  is critical. Both GRS and Lindsay have been designing and machining these for four decades, so they have a pretty good handle non making a good product.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2021, 07:16:02 PM »
Given Guslers' interest and expertise with the old original guns, if you zoom in on this engraving you'll see its just about what you'd expect to see on most old rifles.
John Robbins

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2021, 05:40:37 AM »
I use a Lindsay palm engraver.  I find not having to use a foot peddle a huge pro, especially if you’re engraving something on the piece and need to move around.  GRS and Lindsay both make excellent products, just comes down to preferences.  As others have noted, the sharpening templates by Lindsay are incredibly helpful.  I just really like the simplicity of an air engraver, and have found you can execute appropriate engraving typically found on American arms, as well as more refined engraving found on most European pieces.  Whichever you choose, I highly suspect you’ll be more than pleased with the results!   Best,

Ed

Ed Wenger