Author Topic: Project Nemisis  (Read 1715 times)

Online BJH

Project Nemisis
« on: January 20, 2021, 11:02:38 PM »
The start of my current project. 44 in 58 cal Colerain barrel butternut stock my own trade rifle pattern. Chambers lock

« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 03:06:25 AM by BJH »
BJH

Offline northup87

Re: Project Nemisis
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 11:52:18 PM »
Very nice! What color are you planning for on the stock?
A.J. Downey

Online BJH

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 02:34:25 AM »
Dark. I’m going to try out some lye water to bring out the tannins on some scrap. we will see what happens. There’s no figure to show off. The vision for this project is a poor mans rifle. Simple apron around the tang. Nailed on butt plate. Sliding wood box no brass finial. Probably only two thimbles, maybe no nose cap, or a simple brass wrap. Brass front sight, neatly installed peep rear similar to one one of our members did. This is to accommodate my advancing cataracts. Rifle style guard, front sling loop, and button rear sling attachment. Side plate undetermined. This one will get some ageing. My favorite deer hunting caliber is .58, the deer find it deadly poisonous. Am joining a deer camp west of here, the woods are more mature than around here so the shots are likely to be longer than I’m used to. Sight radius and the peep should make it more suitable. Previously all the deer I have harvested have been within archery range. So that’s my excuse to build a more suitable gun.... BJH
BJH

Online BJH

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 02:48:36 AM »

Lock plates in. Now time for the clearance cuts for the moving parts.
BJH

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 05:19:37 PM »
I am stocking up a gun with the same color of wood. A. Martin wood?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online BJH

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 12:40:55 AM »
Yup!!! Allen and I are sorta neighbors, about 25 miles.
BJH