Author Topic: Finishing a Rifle Stock  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Ats5331

Finishing a Rifle Stock
« on: January 21, 2021, 11:52:09 PM »
So, usually I complete my staining process on my rifles then I put a couple coats of Tried and True on. How do you guys get a little more “shine” factor to your finish?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Finishing a Rifle Stock
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 12:39:35 AM »
So, usually I complete my staining process on my rifles then I put a couple coats of Tried and True on. How do you guys get a little more “shine” factor to your finish?
Polyethylene.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 02:25:20 AM »
More coats.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 03:06:27 AM »
Don't care for the shine so I go the other way.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 03:56:20 AM »
I dont like the glossy finish so I cut each of at least 4 coats back with 0000 steel wool AFTER each coat is dry and cured. Then the finish looks less glossy but protects the wood with what I would call a sheen.

Offline flehto

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 04:39:26 AM »
I also don't like a glossy finish so to achieve a satin finish  , I do the following...... 2 wipe on/wipe off coats of LMF sealer w/ a  10 min soak in time and a complete dry between coats. Then 2 sparse  finger rubbed in coats of Wahkon Bay Trucoat w/ a complete dry between coats. That's it. When the final coat is completely dry, the finish is shiny and for some reason a few hrs later becomes very dull. A rub w/ a fluffy towel imparts a soft, satin gloss.......Fred

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 04:42:08 AM »
Maple?  More coats.  You may wan to thin the product.  Count on at least 6 thin coats.  Do not let it pool on the surface.  Continue with thin coats until the pores are gone and the wood no longer absorbs finish.  Lightly go over it with burgundy scotchbrite, or steel wool,  between coats.  Only knock off the buggars.   If you go to deep the stain will get messed up.  Once you have an even smooth finish, wax it for more shine.  You can also rub it out with rotten stone and thinned linseed oil, then wax. 

Thick glossy finish does not belong on a traditional ML. 

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 04:58:46 PM »
Birchwood Casey's Tru Oil will give you about as much shine as a person can stand. It also has the advantage of drying quickly.

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 08:42:44 PM »
Flehto, those are two great looking rifles.
Cheers Richard