Author Topic: Chambers gun builders lock  (Read 905 times)

Offline scottmc

Chambers gun builders lock
« on: January 22, 2021, 05:56:58 AM »
Was wondering if someone could educate me a little this lock.  I just recieved the left hand version today and at first, thought I had a bad one as the hammer wasnt going all the way down.  Then a friend pointed out the top of the plate is higher than the bolster and when shaped it will go down.  Then I couldn't put it on full cock since the hammer was hitting on the plate since it's still high and square.  But the hammer was way back compared to what I'm used to on the left hand siler so has it been redesigned to be like the deluxe where the hammer goes way back before engaging in full cock?  The sear spring is not touching the sear so that is a problem but maybe I can spread it out a little.  I also notice three notches on the tumbler...full, half and one lower being right around the point the shoulder of the hammer will hit the bolster.  Is this normal?
Remember Paoli!

Offline Dave Marsh

Re: Chambers gun builders lock
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 05:59:55 AM »
Personally I would recommend that you call Jim and Barbie.  You will be taken care of.  Good luck.

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 07:20:45 AM »
Before you contact Jim, did you buy it from him or some other supplier.  If you did not buy it directly from Jim, chances are it was built from a kit assembled for the supplier by someone working for them.  There are a lot of Siler locks available out there that are not assembled to the exacting standards that Jim's lock assemblers are held to.
David

Offline rsells

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 09:02:31 AM »
I have used a couple of Chamber's locks with the rectangular plate without any issues.  Just took the cock off, made a template of what I wanted to make, and scribed it on the plate.  I shaped the plate to match the profile I wanted and went about the business of inletting the lock.  No issues.  Talk to Jim about your issues.
                                                                                  Roger Sells

Offline scottmc

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 04:11:41 PM »
Yes, I got it from Jim.  I will call him today to discuss.
Remember Paoli!