Author Topic: Horn Mounted Compass  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Lindisfarne793

• Starting Member
Horn Mounted Compass
« on: January 25, 2021, 09:20:34 AM »
Hello, all
  In done of my reading, I see occasional references to compasses being mounted in the bases of powder horns. I have never seen an original example of this (nor a modern replica, for that matter.) Do any of you have sources or images of the Real McCoy?

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: Horn Mounted Compass
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 08:30:41 AM »
Never saw a powder horn with a compass in the butt. If there are/were any around, they likely were made in the Lancaster horn factory. They were know to put mirrors in butts occasionally. I would like very much to see a compass/horn but don't recall any. There are a few rifles that have compasses inlet into the cheek rest and I believe that they are shown in some of the books on PA and OH rifles. If you are looking for one, I hope that you find it and then bring it here to show it around. It would be quite rare in my opinion and well worth seeing.
Dick 

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 03:18:17 PM »
I have made a few for people, the only one I have a picture of is one I made for myself when I was just starting out.

I have no clear recollection of an original with an inlayed compass, but on the fringes of my old and fogged up memory I have a hint that I may have read of or seen a picture of one. Sorry, best I can do.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 04:25:25 PM »
 That is a Good looking fancy horn, the compass fits it well.

Tim

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 09:00:05 PM »
Mighty fine looking outfit! You do very nice work.
Dick

buck conner

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 03:25:10 AM »
Very nice, beautiful.