Author Topic: The "Andy Thomas" RIfle on display at the Alamo  (Read 1107 times)

Peter Stines

The "Andy Thomas" RIfle on display at the Alamo
« on: January 25, 2021, 06:29:00 PM »
If you've been to the Alamo and seen this gun maybe you can help. If you haven't been to the Alamo there is photo of this gun on the American Society of Arms Collectors website. Scroll down the list of articles until you find the piece titled "Ol' Betsy In The Alamo. Author: LM Chenault.
According to the article this rifle was the one that Crockett actually brought to Texas but it was so long and heavy that he traded it to a youngster named Andy Thomas for a lighter and shorter gun. Andy did not go to San Antonio with Davy.
The gun stayed in the family for generations and is on loan to the DRT museum. Now I've seen the gun and it's obviously an "over the log" shooting match rifle. 44" barrel .50 cal and weighs 27 pounds. DST and brass mounted. It was a flinter and coverted to percussion probably after Thomas got the gun. Stock appears to be plain maple but could be walnut.
It has no patchbox. Trigger guard is double hook similar to the Vincent style. At one time there was a silver star inlay in the cheek piece but was pried out and stolen. The lock is probably English with snubbed or squared off tail. Looks like the late Ketland 1822 lock made by Davis. I'm not sure about the stock profile. Hopefully someone can tell us what it is; Tennessee or ? I'd love to have a repro of this gun (In flint of course) but not in 27 pounds. Take a look at the article I cited above or if you've seen this rifle lets talk. I'm not arguing province. There are plenty of "authentic" Davy rifles floating around. Appreciate any ideas, thoughts, theories, etc.

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: The "Andy Thomas" RIfle on display at the Alamo
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 07:16:10 PM »
 I’m sorry, but I can’t imagine anybody of Crockets experience, and knowledge, going into what was technically a war  zone with a 27# rifle.
 Recent work at the Alamo museum has upgraded it exhibits quite a bit, but not so many years ago, when I visited it, it was very much like a little hometown museum. Except that it was surrounded by hawkers, peddling everything imaginable.

Hungry Horse

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 09:09:31 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Crockett had more than one rifle with him at any given time and felt it was a good time to lose the chunk gun in exchange for a backup
going into battle.  We will never know.  How do you get a 44" barrel to weigh 27 lbs.  I have a 36" swivel with heavy barrels and it only weights 16 lbs.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline martin9

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 09:51:47 PM »
I just scrolled down and found the article but on the list of articles page it's titled David Crockett-The Alamo. When you open the article then it says Ol' Betsy and the Alamo

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 10:10:46 PM »
And to be clear, there was never any person named Davy Crockett.  His name was always David.  It was the actor in the popular play "The Lion of the West" who used the name Davy.

Walt Disney picked the name up in the 1950's and our generation has been calling him Davy ever since, but that was never correct.

If you want to read a good book that cuts through so many myths on this subject get "Three Roads to the Alamo" by William C. Davis. It is a fun read and provides the most accurate account.

Michael   
C. Michael Briggs