Author Topic: Rear sights for aging eyesight  (Read 1607 times)

Offline Sharpsman

• "There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"
Rear sights for aging eyesight
« on: January 25, 2021, 09:00:02 PM »
For some folks wanting to improve their shooting I see from time to time some have made a rear aperture sight and usually these have no windage adjustment feature! Kermit Hoke makes tang sights that will fit upon the rear tang and all that need be done is give Kermit the radius of the rear tang on your rifle and he can cut the base to fit your rear tang. Photo here is not a Hoke sight but similar to what Kermit makes. A much shorter elevation blade can be made than what's shown here!

Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Offline Daryl

Re: Rear sights for aging eyesight
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 09:08:11 PM »
That is a beautiful match rifle. Looks like a Rigby.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Sharpsman

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 09:29:43 PM »
I think so Daryl!

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 11:32:35 AM »
Sharpsman, You have completely missed the reason for "some folks" peep sights that have no windage adjustment. I make my sight to be small and unobtrusive, one that won't stand out and look gaudy on a flint longrifle. It is meant to be sighted in after a load is chosen that gives good accuracy. Windage is adjusted by the installer's skill in drilling and tapping dead center on the tang and by drifting the front sight for windage. After that the installation is considered to be permanent as long as the same load is used. But in reading your post I see you can't grasp that concept at all.
An adjustable tang sight such as you show in your photograph may be fine for some but has no place on one of my longrifles. Besides I would never request another person to "fit" a base or tang on my rifles, I can fit a part as well as anybody and if I couldn't it wouldn't get done.
My admiration goes to those who build or attempt to build their own rifles. No matter how it turns out. Some things they do are done because they have a personal vision that others can't understand. And they don't deserve thinly veiled criticism, especially when that criticism is accentuated by exclamation points.
If this continues, even from just a few, I think many would cease to participate in open forums.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Sharpsman

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 08:06:41 PM »
 "But in reading your post I see you can't grasp that concept at all."

You're assuming a whole lot!!

Offline Chunker119

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 09:20:07 PM »
Sharpsman, You have completely missed the reason for "some folks" peep sights that have no windage adjustment. I make my sight to be small and unobtrusive, one that won't stand out and look gaudy on a flint longrifle. It is meant to be sighted in after a load is chosen that gives good accuracy. Windage is adjusted by the installer's skill in drilling and tapping dead center on the tang and by drifting the front sight for windage. After that the installation is considered to be permanent as long as the same load is used. But in reading your post I see you can't grasp that concept at all.
An adjustable tang sight such as you show in your photograph may be fine for some but has no place on one of my longrifles. Besides I would never request another person to "fit" a base or tang on my rifles, I can fit a part as well as anybody and if I couldn't it wouldn't get done.
My admiration goes to those who build or attempt to build their own rifles. No matter how it turns out. Some things they do are done because they have a personal vision that others can't understand. And they don't deserve thinly veiled criticism, especially when that criticism is accentuated by exclamation points.
If this continues, even from just a few, I think many would cease to participate in open forums.

Darkhorse,

I don't see how you can infer that Sharpsman was referring to you or anyone for that matter. Seems like someone just trying to share a bit of useful information. Might be good if everyone takes a deep breath here....

Chunker119
Colton L. Fleetwood                
     "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway"  - John Wayne