Author Topic: Carl Grimm?  (Read 1272 times)

Ric Carter

Carl Grimm?
« on: February 26, 2021, 09:31:17 PM »
Is anyone familiar with the guns of Carl Grimm? Suhl is also on the barrel. I just bought a very nice double 20 bore percussion, carved stock, platinum inlay work. I'm thinking around 1850, although the seller dated it to the 1830's.  I'm assuming this is a German Guild gun. Any information is welcome!

« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 10:19:33 PM by Ric Carter »

Offline OLUT

Re: Carl Grimm?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 09:57:41 PM »
Is anyone familiar with the guns of Carl Grimm? Suhl is also on the barrel. I just bought a very nice double 20 bore percussion, carved stock, platinum inlay work. I'm thinking around 1850, although the seller dated it to the 1830's.  I'm assuming this is a German Guild gun. Any information is welcome!

I don't know of any German percussion era gunmaker by that name ; could Carl Grimm of Suhl be the owner instead? .... in 1846 there was an innkeeper in Suhl by that name (but no gunmaker)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 10:32:45 PM »

Judging by the shape & complexity of the bolsters/breeches and hammer, I would think your date estimation to be more correct, Ric.
Beautiful Euro gun.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 05:33:01 AM »
Beautiful. Let’s see more
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline blienemann

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 06:13:34 AM »
Name and location on the barrels would be the gunmaker. Der Neue Stoeckel only lists a Burgdorf Grimm at Bern, Switzerland working 1739. Perhaps this family included more gunmakers for another century or two. Bob

Ric Carter

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 03:52:44 AM »
I hadn't realized the gun was up for auction when I bought it. The shop is across the lake from me, and he gets some fine quality firearms through, much to the detriment of my bank account! The auction listing has some good pictures of it.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/antique-shotguns---1500-1850/1840-carl-grimm-percussion-double-hammer-shotgun.cfm?gun_id=101477725&fbclid=IwAR0gsgke66RyyugsxsRVA2Zt8AAPLMmwFtkaNgWIir27TWluhSMiNab_SKk

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 11:12:47 PM »
Nice "catch", Ric. Beautiful.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V