Author Topic: Covid Postal Match for February 2021  (Read 5128 times)

Offline Daryl

Re: Covid Postal Match for February 2021
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2021, 05:01:26 AM »
Well we got out, not so hot. Plan on getting out again, with the smoothbore.
It's funny - I shot better on my last target with the reclaimed patches from my first 2 targets.
I have 4 extras - saved them- accurate patches.  ;D ::)
scores 50. 15, 12, 23

« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 09:49:29 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2021, 11:45:39 PM »

Mine aren't much better....scored 25, 23, 9 = 57  But it was a pleasant day and the company was good.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2021, 12:26:07 AM »
Got out with the 20 bore smoothies today. It was nice and warm, just above freezing
when we started shooting at about 11am. Lost the front lock screw on the floor in the shop
somewhere last time I used the gun. The feather spring screw broke and the feather spring
got lost in the snow on about the 4th shot. I finished the 'course' without the spring - yeah,
hard on the hammer screw- but it worked just fine.
25 yards by laser rangefinder
85gr. 2F GOEX
10 oz. denim (.021"compressed)
.595" ball - Lyman mould
I see 21,12,13 = 46

Daryl

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2021, 07:25:09 AM »
Not bad for a shaky old man shooting in the cold and rain. The diamond target was with my new Don Bruton rifle on its first day shooting. After figuring out the sight settings and load at the end of the day I gave a shot at the postal match. Not bad for a rifle and barrel that has less than 30 rounds through it. The other two were with my Don Bruton .32 caliber Mathew Gillespie rifle. I come up with a score of 58 or possibly 55 I will let the judge do the scoring on the 4 round circles. I score it a 17 but will defer to the boss.

picture sharing
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2021, 08:31:51 PM »
The scoring is 5/3/1.
Your top target appears to be a 21, to me.
The middle one, an 18 or 16
The bottom target a 23
for a 60 or 62/70

Thus Taylor will sort out the scores, Mike.
Daryl

• Member 3
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2021, 09:24:18 PM »
Thanks for your submission MIke.  I score it a 60 (rifle)  Interesting using three different rifles for the contest...real sporty.
D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2021, 10:14:48 PM »
Here's the first of my two smoothbore target submissions.  What a lot of fun.

I score it at 58/70, but Daryl has the final word on the smoothbore side of this competition.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2021, 10:54:49 PM »
No it was only 2 rifles.
2 targets were shot with my .32 and 1 from my .54 not sure why using 2 different rifles on two different days is an issue. If I have missed something and have violated the spirit of this contest in any way please reject my submission with no hard feelings on my part.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline Daryl

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2021, 12:18:02 AM »
Taylor was not making a negative comment about using different guns, Mike, but rather quite the contrary.
I score Taylor's targets by what is shown in his photograph. Appears to me, there is a miss on the 3rd target.
Thus 25, 19 and 13 = 57.
Daryl

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2021, 01:21:03 AM »
Thanks for clarifying that for me. If the time comes I have to fudge the rules to compete then that will be the time to retire.
 At this distance my .32 always is a sure tack driver however with a brand new rifle (the .54) I was simply wowed at how well it shot. With the load I ended up using (85 grains of Goex 3F) it turns out I am dead nuts on at 25 yards, 4-5 inches high at 50 yards then 1 inch or so at 100 yards. That's good enough for me. In fact the most amazing thing to me was the 25 patches I picked up that were shot with various loads through a brand new barrel were so perfect that I simply rubbed a little pure Neatsfoot oil in them and will shoot them on the trail at the Horse Ridge  Rendezvous put on by The Grizzly Mountain Long Rifles in Alfalfa, Oregon this coming week.
Again Daryl, thank you for the clarification.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

• Member 3
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2021, 02:27:53 AM »
Yeah Mike, I meant my comment as a compliment for your being willing to use several firearms for one contest.  I for one, shoot better by far with some guns than others.
Daryl, I photographed my smoothbore across the targets and it covers a low hit on the forth bull adding only one point.  So I scored it as 58.  I'll show you that target, though I am certainly disappointed in the huge miss. 
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2021, 03:44:33 AM »
It finally warmed up to 4 degrees today, so I had no excuse not to get out. I am grateful for this warm spell after -35 last week.  This is with my .45 flintlock.  45 gr Goex fffg .440 ball and .018 ticking with moose milk. I think it's a 66 score. I shot that diamond first and was quite tickled with the group.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2021, 07:03:55 AM »
Nice shooting Justin. Well done.

Yes - Taylor, I remember the last shot, which is why I noted scoring the target by what is visible.
58 then, grudgingly. ;D

Hands and guns sometimes cover holes.  Modern gun rag writers do that a lot with their hands, or fingers.
Daryl

Offline alacran

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2021, 03:41:47 PM »
Well  finally got out again with my smoothbore. I shot the first target on the left on Feb 11. Actually I shot that target 3 times, and that was best scoring effort, though I had better groups  on the other targets. I still was not happy with my trigger pull weight so I worked on the lock some more. My trigger is now breaking at 2 lbs 4 oz. I shot the other two yesterday, I would have shot the first target again but I forgot to print another one. I figured I better submit these since February is quickly disappearing.
I did cast pure lead balls for yesterday. The first target was shot with wheel weight lead. Only difference I could tell was that the pure lead balls load easier.

I scored the targets 15, 12 and 19. I overlaid the second target over a clean one and the ball appears to be half in to me. But it is up to Daryl. So it is either a total of 46 or 44.
I will try to get out again with a rifle. If I do I will re shoot the first target with the smoothbore.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 03:52:14 PM by alacran »
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

• Member 3
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2021, 07:58:48 PM »
I've examined these last two submissions, and score Justin's rifle targets at 66/70, and alacran's smoothbore targets at 46/70.  Thanks for participating lads and nice shooting.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Daryl

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2021, 08:23:20 PM »
Well done, lads. Alacran, I agree with you and Taylor - 46.
Daryl

Offline StevenV

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2021, 08:42:05 PM »
Daryl , I see you mentioned warming up to freezing so your going to cast some balls in your car port. Is the carport heated? I cast mine in the barn , no heat,  use bottom pour and ladle cast methods . I preheat my molds , but if its not at least 45ish I usually don't get good balls cast. Lots of wrinkling, means mold too cold. Do you cast below 40 degrees with good results? Steve

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2021, 02:12:30 AM »
I kind of expect really good shooting at this distance from of our very good shooters with their rifles. I am just blown away with the fantastic shooting by the guys submitting their smoothbore targets. Makes me think that maybe a smooth rifle might be in my future. Great shooting everyone. I am headed to the first big rendezvous in the Pacific NW tomorrow. Going to be fun finally making white smoke with  the boys from this part of the country.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2021, 02:46:23 AM »
Hi Mike.  At 25 yards, the smoothbore is a very capable weapon.  The famous 3 inch group size commonly spoken of at 50 yards is in my experience not as common on the range.  I have done it and can usually repeat that group size on demand , but 3 shot groups are easier than 5 shot groups if you get my meaning.  4 in groups of up to 10 shots with the occasional shot going to 5 or 6 in is my norm.
Back that up to 30 yards, and that group shrinks to 2 1/2 inches with the odd 3 in shot.
This is off a bench , but my smoothbore fits so well, I can usually hold that group off hand.
This is why I limit my smoothbore black bear shots to 30 yards  .  When I opened my match to smoothbores, I really hoped that we'd get to see more of this kind of shooting.  I'm really happy that this month's match includes a smoothbore category  :)   

Offline Daryl

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2021, 11:14:52 PM »
Daryl , I see you mentioned warming up to freezing so your going to cast some balls in your car port. Is the carport heated? I cast mine in the barn , no heat,  use bottom pour and ladle cast methods . I preheat my molds , but if its not at least 45ish I usually don't get good balls cast. Lots of wrinkling, means mold too cold. Do you cast below 40 degrees with good results? Steve
Hi Steven.
As long as I can cast above freezing, the balls turn out perfectly. I agree, wrinkled balls are from too cold a mould or lead.
The 20 pound Lee pots I use heat the lead just fine at 32F and even have to turn the dial down a bit- about 8 1/2, instead
of HI, which would be #10. The pot's dial runs 1 to 9, then HIGH. While the lead is melting and I give it a good hour or 1 1/2
hours, the mould is sitting on the top lip to pre-heat. I converted both bottom pours to dipping only.  When casting the first
few balls which sometimes have a wrinkle or two, I let the lead pour out of the dipper over the block, dripping of the front face
 of the blocks back into the pot. This helps warm up the blocks "all the way" to casting good bullets. Some time after that, I have
to decrease the pot's dial to 8 to 8 1/2.
There is no heat in the 12' high double wide carport. There is usually a breeze running through it, so I only cast if the temp is at 0C
(32F) or higher.  I wear heavy leather and lined work gloves when casting. I open the sprue cutter (if equipped) with a gloved hand
and only use a hammer handle on the hinge if the ball or bullet sticks.
These are the balls I cast yesterday in the Car port. It is open sided and both ends. The first couple balls were a little wrinkled, but the
rest were just fine. This is all of them including the wrinkled ones - only cast up 52.

animated sign post

« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 11:05:26 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline snrub47

« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2021, 01:23:07 AM »
Finally a good day to shoot this match, cloudy and 63 deg., no wind. Shot with 36 cal. flint, GM barrel, open sights, 50g FF Schuetzen, .360 ball , pillow ticking patch. I scored it 56...yes that is 3 shoots in one hole!!!

• Member 3
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2021, 02:43:22 AM »
Nice shooting snrub47!  I too score it 56/70.  I'd like to see you try again.  A couple more 5's would put you in contention.  Justin leads so far with a respectable 66/70.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2021, 10:38:07 PM »
I finally had a chance to shoot the targets for this month.  It stopped snowing, and the day dawned bright and sunny.  Minus 8 deg C  with a not too bad wind.  Still half froze my fingers though  :(

>40 cal   .395 ball, 35 gr FFFg  GOEX   .018 linen patch with bear oil

• Member 3
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2021, 12:39:29 AM »
Very nice shooting Bob!  Scores 64/70 (25,23, & 16)  thanks for sending in some work.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Daryl

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2021, 11:10:56 PM »
Good shooting, Bob.

-8C is 17.6F - not surprised your fingers got cold. Looks like a nice day, though.
Daryl