Author Topic: Stock Repair Question  (Read 1828 times)

Jim Evans

Stock Repair Question
« on: January 24, 2021, 05:34:16 PM »
I am looking at this gun and would like to know if this would be worth the investment and could the stock be repaired satisfactory ?
What would be the best way to fix it right?

Offline BJH

Re: Stock Repair Question
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 05:52:02 PM »
Everything worth doing is a judgement call. I repaired the wrist on a similar Belgan double shot gun that was “shooter”quality. I carefully degreased all the broken wood, the dry fitted, and glued everything up. Then useing the guns existing mortises to hide the work. I drilled holes for reinforcing dowels. Gluing and installing them. Due to multiple breaks I added a thumb piece to hide my repairs. Some of the work is visible, but it’s certainly not a Bubba job. BJH
BJH

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 05:59:37 PM »
I note that there is an inlay behind the lock on the right side of the gun.  Perhaps someone has already inserted a screw or glued a dowel in that location in a previous attempt to stabilize the crack.  I would remove the tang and examine the area under it to see if there is any evidence of that before proceeding.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 06:22:49 PM »
I'd pass on that gun if you're looking for a shooter
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 06:35:42 PM »
I’m (almost) with Mr. Brooks on this one...IF the price was right and I wanted a shooter, I’d restock it and never look back. No use in doing or having done, a costly repair on a break like that unless it’s a high value piece, then let your conscience and checkbook be your guide. YMMV.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Jim Evans

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 09:02:06 PM »
I'd pass on that gun if you're looking for a shooter
After looking closer at the photo I see a patch above/behind the trigger, past problem.
Yes I will pass on the gun.
Thanks for the info

Offline R Whittington

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 04:09:30 AM »
I trade a suppository gun for this cape gun. Will let you know how it goes. Probably re-stock, fresh the bores, and boom. It has the name Richards on the lock. Fellow thinks it’s English, but there was a maker of three barrel guns in New York in the late 1800’s. Does anyone have an opinion?

Ric Whittington

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 12:47:32 PM »
I am not sure about New York, but West Virginia had the only American drilling (three barreled gun) company of which I have read.  Late 1800's to early 1900's. 

The company went by Hollenbeck, Royal Arms and The Three Barreled Gun Company.  I believe Baker had a lot to do with the design.

They may have made muzzleloaders, but I have not seen one. 

God Bless,   Marc 

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 12:53:04 PM »
The usual caveat applies to damascus and twist barrels as well.  They may be safe, or may not.  The caution I was given was that the interior and exterior of one of these barrels may look great, but we do not know if there is corrosion between the layers after 100+ years.  A bit of test and proofing while not in your hands might be indicated before relying on it. 

It is interesting to me to see catalogs that list damascus barrels at a higher price than fluid steel in the late 1800s.  More work involved in damascus, and I was told folks did not yet trust "new-fangled" fluid steel. 

God Bless,   Marc

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 09:26:02 PM »
I bought a double 12 gauge hammer gun from a friend once.  The stock had been broken almost exactly as this one but I was assured it had been properly repaired.  It wasn't.  So I restocked it, chequered it, and now it is one of my go-to guns.  I love it.  I added a bit more drop at the comb while I was at it, and it fits perfectly now.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2021, 11:19:14 PM »
The main problem with that gun is the grain direction. It will never be strong. If you love it enough you could restock it.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline R Whittington

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 12:57:48 AM »
Got the cape gun today. It’s 38 caliber rifle, 1-42” twist, .015 deep rifling, and 15 gauge shotgun. Bores are near perfect. Sent Mark Weader an email about duplication. I may make my own stock.
Ric Whittington

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2021, 09:08:22 PM »
I worked for a gunsmith in Prince George during the last quarter of the 20thC, who had a 12 spindle Solstrom (sp?) Carving machine.  He would do a lot of one off stocks for clients, taking their smashed rifle stock, gluing it back together, Bondo up the cracks and holes, fit plugs to both ends and recreate it in fancy walnut, maple, ebony, whatever you wanted.  You can do the same:  find a stock duplicator and give him your old repaired stock to duplicate.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.