Author Topic: First horn...buffalo powder horn  (Read 1953 times)

vandeusen1987

First horn...buffalo powder horn
« on: February 05, 2021, 01:12:43 AM »
I'm just getting started dabbling in the art of making powder horns. Little back story, my wife's grandpa is Louie Parker...thats how I got into this! For my first horn I found a big gnarly looking american bison horn at a local "junk" store. It still had all the scale on it but looked like it was in good shape I already had a good chunk of walnut so I started in on my new project. After way to many hours a ton of hard work about half a dozen design changes and all my creative juices flowing this is the finished product....i also made a funnel for filling the horn. It's made from Osage orange and deer antler

« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 01:36:38 AM by vandeusen1987 »

vandeusen1987

Re: First horn...buffalo powder horn
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 01:19:14 AM »
I think I might add a basic compass rose in silver wire inlay on the base plug...this horn has a lot going on but I made it to be my personal horn so trying all kinds of ideas/styles on it

Offline snapper

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 01:54:39 AM »
Great start.   I am sure you learned a lot and cant wait to see the next one.

Think about changing out your strap for a leather one, or a nice woven one.   

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Howard

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 02:17:55 AM »
Well I made a powder horn about 55 years ago & it didn't look that good. I think your next one will look much better.  I love seeing horns with turned bone spouts & turned butts. I'm looking forward to see your next horn or other project. Keep it up & don't quit as I see talent in your work. Good Luck !  Howard

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 02:45:59 AM »
WOW 87 you sure did a bang up job on this one. I really like all the file work from the spout of the horn back, the bird head spout is very unique. You have thought of everything from the funnel to the fill hole in the butt. One thing you might want to think about is a secure peg in that fill hole as if it were to come out it could cause all kinds of problems. I would change out the strap for a leather one or a woven one. Over all  it looks great. I'm like Howard, I can't wait to see the next one.
Kind Regards
Frank Barker

Offline louieparker

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 06:18:48 PM »
vandeusen I was surprised and pleased to see your post and that you had made a powder horn.... Like some of the fellows I  think you did a great job on your first horn... Especially since you used buffalo horn..  That kind of horn is a bugger to even get.smoothed out..Cow horn would have been a bit easier in my opinion..But I too like the buffalo horn. You can learn a lot on this site.  There are some very good horn makers here and most will be glad to give you advise..  Don't be afraid to ask questions..Some have already give you some good advice.. My advice to you is to study old horns..I am not sure how many books I have on powder horns.. But I will see what might be of benefit to you and see that you get it..Hang in there !  LP

Offline heinz

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 07:14:38 PM »
Nicely done!
kind regards, heinz

vandeusen1987

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 09:38:26 PM »
Thanks everyone! I will definitely change out the strap, leaning towards leather. Louie I'll bring my horn with me next time we come out so you can get a good look at it, also any literature you can lend me would be great...of all my hobbies over the years making horns is the one I'm going to stick with! Jess will be happy that I picked one!

Offline Howard

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 02:18:57 AM »
Here are some old simple powder horns to look at. They can be simple & look great. I do hope  this helps. Howard

vandeusen1987

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 05:23:06 AM »
Helps a lot thanks Howard! I really appreciate it

Offline Clint

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 05:47:02 AM »
Van,  That's a nice horn. I really do like the bird head spout, you could make some cool powder measures with animal heads.

vandeusen1987

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 07:55:46 AM »
Thanks Clint I hand carved the duck head out of a whitetail antler tip after attaching it the horn...the horn is inside the antler about 3/4 if an inch...making a round drilled hole fit the flats of the horn was a huge pain in my rump! Beside a couple drill bits, needle files and a good sharp pocket knife were all I used on the spout...the fill hole plug is also a piece of antler tip I turned on my micro lathe...the spout plug is Osage orange and was the very first thing I turned on my wood lathe...alot of first times in that horn!

vandeusen1987

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2021, 08:21:29 AM »
I'm now on the hunt for my next horn...does anybody have a good online source for cow or buffalo horns... relatively cheap, I'm married with kids, so I need my projects to stay within a reasonable budget! Any info will be greatly appreciated

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2021, 04:54:28 PM »
You are blessed to be able to learn from Louie Parker.  That short circuits a lot of mistakes.  :-)   God Bless,   Marc

vandeusen1987

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2021, 08:57:57 PM »
WOW 87 you sure did a bang up job on this one. I really like all the file work from the spout of the horn back, the bird head spout is very unique. You have thought of everything from the funnel to the fill hole in the butt. One thing you might want to think about is a secure peg in that fill hole as if it were to come out it could cause all kinds of problems. I would change out the strap for a leather one or a woven one. Over all  it looks great. I'm like Howard, I can't wait to see the next one.
Kind Regards
Frank Barker
  thanks for the advice about the base plug Frank...im thinking about carving the plug to look like a feather not sure yet

vandeusen1987

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2021, 09:13:46 PM »
Well I made a powder horn about 55 years ago & it didn't look that good. I think your next one will look much better.  I love seeing horns with turned bone spouts & turned butts. I'm looking forward to see your next horn or other project. Keep it up & don't quit as I see talent in your work. Good Luck !  Howard
you asked Howard...here it is my next horn...making a priming horn to go with my first horn...it is buffalo with turned two part applied tip antler/osage orange...added a work hardened copper wire vent pick to the spout plug...i still have some file work to do and have to cut the base...base plug will be walnut to match my first horn

vandeusen1987

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2021, 06:11:21 AM »
Finished the priming horn to go with my first horn