Author Topic: Cap shortage?  (Read 3416 times)

Offline elkhart

Cap shortage?
« on: February 10, 2021, 03:09:59 PM »
Planning a Leman trade rifle build, trying to decide if it should be flint or percussion. I live in PA, so the demand for #11 caps isn't as great as other areas. But I'm guessing they will become scarce as I see no relief from the shortage of shooting components. Manufacturers will probably focus on primer production before percussion caps.

That said, are you seeing a shortage of caps in your area? Is there a way to make caps? I remember Dixie offering a tool that allowed you to punch out caps from a pop can and place a charge inside from one of those toy cap gun tapes. Seemed pretty labor intensive. 

Offline snapper

Re: Cap shortage?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 03:57:00 PM »
I would not let the current cap shortage stop me from building a cap lock rifle.

No shortage in my house.   I buy plenty of supplies when times are not lean.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Woodsrunner79

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 04:38:25 PM »
Sometimes it just takes lookin'. Of the 3 gun shops in my area all had caps when I went in last week. But you had to ask at 2 of them. The 3rd one had 23 packages on the shelf( mixed lot of #11s & #10s) I stocked up at each stop. They're out there, just gotta find them.

Jordan

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 04:49:24 PM »
At my age, I have a life time supply of everything related to shooting. I tend to purchase/ collect  in 25 year batches  ;D

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 06:46:00 PM »
Also  Pa guy and if we're me I'd go flint lock in the SW corner were I'm at hardly any shops even stock caps . Last ones I've seen were at Wally mart last year and maybe Dunhams . Not sure about online availability I've never looked but your paying hazmat on top of whatever they cost . And with everything these days outa stock and surging costs if it goes bang flints are still easy to find For 2 bucks a piece and last for 20 or so shots at minimum

Offline Prairie dog shooter

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 08:30:19 PM »
Around here there are no #10 caps to be found.  Occasionally, I see a few CCI #11 on the shelves.  Powder Inc. has stock but sure is gouging prices.

Offline walks with gun

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 08:48:31 PM »
    Unless you can find a source of flint or other stone you can nap yourself some decent flint your in trouble as well.  Hardly any decent rifle flints left in the country and if you do find any you don't know what your getting and will pay dearly for them.

Offline DaveL

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 07:43:58 AM »
I live just across the Ohio state line from PA and caps seem readily available here.

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 08:29:37 AM »
I shoot both cap and flint Muzzle loading firearms, so I think I can ride out any short falls... However, I do have to question the why of the shortages of both Cap & Flints, even though I'm pretty sure what the answer is...

The one thing nice about flintlocks is that anyone should be able to fashion a workable flint for their lock, even by just getting lucky if that would be the case... They don't have to be pretty - they just need to work...
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline elkhart

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 02:43:36 PM »
I live just across the Ohio state line from PA and caps seem readily available here.

Really? My brother in law lives out that way, I'll have to ask him to pick up a few tins for me.

Offline fishdfly

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 11:14:23 PM »
When folks order 5,000 caps at a time and 150 flints, no wonder things are hard to find in some places.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2021, 11:25:08 PM »
No cap shortage here. Ain’t used one since 1986.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2021, 05:10:21 AM »
    Unless you can find a source of flint or other stone you can nap yourself some decent flint your in trouble as well.  Hardly any decent rifle flints left in the country and if you do find any you don't know what your getting and will pay dearly for them.

I have received excellent flints and wonderful service from Stonewall Creek Outfitters .  Check them out.

Offline Kevin

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2021, 06:10:04 AM »
Quote from: bob in the woods link=topic=64407.msg64632

I have received excellent flints and wonderful service from Stonewall Creek Outfitters .  Check them out.
[/quote

Spot on advice.  I just received some nice looking french flints (English ones in the two sizes I was after were out-of-stock) from them as well as wonderful customer service to boot.

Kevin

Offline walks with gun

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2021, 03:08:59 AM »
   I just bought another 300 German Dynamit Nobel caps today at the local Fleet Farm for $4.95 a hundred, bought 8 tins there a couple weeks ago.   Check your local pawn shops as well, sometimes they may have some behind the counter.

Offline porchdog48

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2021, 02:14:14 PM »
300 CCI #11 had bid of $61.00 on GB last night. #10 even worse.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2021, 05:04:25 PM »
Just remembered this, and thought it might be an option for some. Many years ago my friend purchased a tool which made "caps" from aluminum cans.  The tool used to be advertised in Muzzleblasts magazine.

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2021, 05:17:21 PM »
It’s the Forster Tap-O-Capper.  Makes #11 percussion caps.  I remember it from the ‘70s
Midway says “discontinued “ but I found this link but cannot confirm availability

https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.myshopify.com/products/11-percussion-cap-maker

Offline elkhart

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2021, 05:48:50 PM »
I think I'll just build it as a percussion. I have some caps on hand, and a reliable but sketchy source (my brother-in-law) for more in Ohio. I have the matching flint lock on hand, so if the shortage continues long-term, I can always convert it to a flintlock.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2021, 09:45:39 PM »
It’s the Forster Tap-O-Capper.  Makes #11 percussion caps.  I remember it from the ‘70s
Midway says “discontinued “ but I found this link but cannot confirm availability

https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.myshopify.com/products/11-percussion-cap-maker

I used one of those back int he 70's as caps were hard to find in Northern B.C.  It worked
OK, but was really good when I use a priming compound I found the formula for in 'The Pictorial
History of the Under Hammer'.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2021, 10:09:06 PM »
Funny how flintlock guys never have this issue.

If God had meant for folks to shoot percussions, he’d of scattered caps all around the ground like he did flints!

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2021, 10:26:26 PM »
Funny how flintlock guys never have this issue.

If God had meant for folks to shoot percussions, he’d of scattered caps all around the ground like he did flints!
You don't necessarily need flints.
This is Canadian Shield country where I live.  I can walk out and find pieces of quartz glaring out from the rocks.  I've broken a piece off and fit it in my gun, and it works .   Some pieces are a bit brittle but not all.  I found a nice piece of crystal which I use with my fire steel, and it is fabulous.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2021, 04:57:31 AM »
In the 70's when I had that Forester Tap-O-Cap machine that was made at that time to fit a bench mounted reloading press,
our pop and beer cans were made of steel - very thin it was, but it was steel, not aluminum. We did not have aluminum cans
yet.  I had to re-sharpen the cutter until I cased it, then it worked a charm on the caps. They were quite tough and actually were
re-usable. As I noted, I used a priming compound in them. It was corrosive, though, as it used Chlorates, but the corrosion was
on the outside of the barrel, not inside. I assume not enough of the cap's flash actually remained in the bore as most of it would
be ejected back out the nipple.  There was 'some' eating happened around the nipple on the drum and barrel flats.
Now, that was only from the chlorate in a primer/percussion cap. Imagine if the chlorate was 17% of the powder charge, as
in Pyrodex???
My mixture was simple: 5 parts Potassium Chlorate, 1 part sulfur, 1 part charcoal. Now, I used sublimed sulfur, which is flour of sulfur
and I used ground up briquets, not sure what they are made of. So the chemicals I used were different from the original formulae.
This might have made mine more stable, or not?? Who's to know? I had no problems with it. I mixed the solution in a slurry and used
an 1/8" diameter rod to pick up a drop the right size for a percussion cap. These were quite hot caps and once dry, had the appearance
of those red plastic cap tins of caps from Italy, kinda dark grey in colour, inside.
I have heard this formulae was outlawed in the UK in about 1898 as unstable.  It was used for 4 decades as percussion cap compound as
well as for pill locks.
Use at your own risk.
I also drilled out solid .58 cast bullets, 3/8" in diameter, sifted in some of this compound in a powder form, then covered them over with beeswax
just rubbed over the top of the bullet.
3 shots would cut off a 12" aspen.  Then one day, I had the thought, what would happen if one went off inside the barrel. I stopped doing this. ::)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 05:00:53 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Yazel.xring

• Ethan Yazel ILoveMuzzleloading.com
    • I Love Muzzleloading
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2021, 04:46:46 PM »
I talked to Schuetzen Powder on the Muzzle Blasts Podcast and the representative said the manufacturers are really having trouble keeping up with demand, factories are fighting covid and trying to produce for everything has been hard with the modern ammo shortages
Hi, I’m Ethan and I Love Muzzleloading

ILoveMuzzleloading.com, independently reporting on muzzleloading and the people who have kept it going for generations.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2021, 07:15:52 PM »
Sawn flints?  Knapping is a difficult skill for me.  IT is also an inefficient way to make flints, I get 90% waste.   TC used to make cut agate flints.  A wet saw with a diamond blade is a common tool.  I was thinking of gluing the rock to a piece of luan and using the miter gauge to cut off slabs.  Has anyone experimented with  home sawn flints?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 08:47:04 PM by Scota4570 »