Author Topic: Does this barn find resemble any known builder's work from Sharpsburg, KY area?  (Read 1764 times)

Offline olbuck44

• Starting Member
Any information would be greatly appreciated. A friend of mine acquired this gun out of a barn in  Sharpsburg, KY (Bath County) on family property. No names are on the barrel or anything. The feller tried to "knock the rust off" and it has been ground upon. (His gun and I am sure didn't know better). I am a babe in this hobby (less than two years) so I don't know much. But, does this resemble any known builder's style or particular style of school from that part of the state? It appears southern-style to me at least.  It also seems to me to have been a full stock as underlug is still present. I don't think it was ever a flint, given the one lock screw and lock looks original to the gun.  Again, any pertinent comments are much obliged. I figured this group would be a good place to post as there are many knowledgeable people.  Additional info was barrel measured 43.5 inches.  Caliber appeared to me just guessing with no micrometer between .35 and .40 cal.  I own a .32 cal and a .40 cal rifle, so it was definitely somewhere in between. Gun was checked to see if loaded and it was not.  Owner is not interested in restoration, selling, etc., just curious to know more about the gun.  These are all the pics I have at the present. 

Offline olbuck44

• Starting Member
Additional pics...

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
This rifle has many details of the Lexington School of riflemaking in Kentucky. Those details include the guard with heavy front post, triggers with large tab on the front "hair" trigger and rather straight back edge on the rear "set" trigger, use of four ramrod pipes, small raised ridge on end of butt plate return, straight comb and toe lines, etc. It also has the "scooped" cheekpiece and flattened top of comb found on many Lexington  rifles where the maker had NC roots.

The Lexington School covers the Bluegrass counties of Fayette, Scott, Franklin, Jessamine, Woodford, Clark, Montgomery, and Bourbon. However, your rifle also lacks a few important details of a Lexington School rifle, including  the school's distinctive "wavy line" molding line terminations, particularly under the cheekpiece, also at rear pipe and lower butt toe molding where it ends under the back of the guard's bow.

This rifle, in my opinion, is a good example of a "Secondary Lexington Rifle." Those rifles were made either near the Lexington School, or in fringe areas of the Lexington School, and Bath County fits into that description, being on the northeast corner of the Lexington School's known counties.

I have a rather similar rifle, same guard, triggers, stocking, four ramrod pipes, scooped cheek and flattened top pf comb, etc., but lacking some Lexington School details, possibly made by the maker of your rifle or someone close by, but heavier barrel and smaller lock bolt washer. My rifle is also unsigned, despite having a relatively clean barrel surface where a name or initials would be easy to see. I thought my rifle, based on its description, probably came from a county on the northern edge of the Lexington School... and Bath County is pretty close to that guess.  The two volume set of books, "Kentucky Gunmakers 1775-1900," covers the Lexington School with many illustrations, and describes and illustrates examples of the secondary Lexington rifles. It is advertised on this site, in case you migh have an interest in it.  Shelby Gallien

« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 10:31:48 PM by Tanselman »

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
The side plate is very close to one of the styles used by John Vincent of Ohio. Nice rifle and could 'brought back' some with proper attention. Good find; thank you for bringing it in for all to see.
Dick

Offline olbuck44

• Starting Member
This rifle has many details of the Lexington School of riflemaking in Kentucky. Those details include the guard with heavy front post, triggers with large tab on the front "hair" trigger and rather straight back edge on the rear "set" trigger, use of four ramrod pipes, small raised ridge on end of butt plate return, straight comb and toe lines, etc. It also has the "scooped" cheekpiece and flattened top of comb found on many Lexington  rifles where the maker had NC roots.

The Lexington School covers the Bluegrass counties of Fayette, Scott, Franklin, Jessamine, Woodford, Clark, Montgomery, and Bourbon. However, your rifle also lacks a few important details of a Lexington School rifle, include  the school's distinctive "wavy line" molding line terminations, particularly under the cheekpiece, also at rear pipe and lower butt toe molding where it ends under the back of the guard's bow.

This rifle, in my opinion, is a good example of a "Secondary Lexington Rifle." Those rifles were made either near the Lexington School, or in fringe areas of the Lexington School, and Bath County fits into that description, being on the northeast corner of the Lexington School's known counties.

I have a rather similar rifle, same guard, triggers, stocking, four ramrod pipes, scooped cheek and flattened top pf comb, etc., but lacking some Lexington School details, possibly made by the maker of your rifle or someone close by, but heavier barrel and smaller lock bolt washer. My rifle is also unsigned, despite having a relatively clean barrel surface where a name or initials would be easy to see. I thought my rifle, based on its description, probably came from a county on the northern edge of the Lexington School... and Bath County is pretty close to that guess.  The two volume set of books, "Kentucky Gunmakers 1775-1900," covers the Lexington School with many illustrations, and describes and illustrates examples of the secondary Lexington rifles. It is advertised on this site, in case you migh have an interest in it.  Shelby Gallien

Thank you so much for this information.  I have perused Mel Hankla's book as a friend owns a copy.  I did not know about this book.  I will look for a copy soon. 

Offline olbuck44

• Starting Member
The side plate is very close to one of the styles used by John Vincent of Ohio. Nice rifle and could 'brought back' some with proper attention. Good find; thank you for bringing it in for all to see.
Dick

Thank you so much for the information.  A Vincent-style contemporary rifle is on my bucket list to obtain one of these days.  I recently found a good deal on a Tip Curtis-built Jaeger I couldn't pass up, so, there went the funds for one for a little while.  But, that is one of the "Holy Grails" for my personal collection.  I love the looks of them.