Author Topic: when was wriggle engraving used?  (Read 1944 times)

Offline blienemann

when was wriggle engraving used?
« on: February 11, 2021, 06:02:19 AM »
Westbury and I have been exchanging notes lately on rifles with J Graeff barrels, and we have a question for the group here. When did "wriggle engraving" first show up, and then become common on rifles and other long guns? There may be a better term for this type of engraving, where a short, straight graver is rocked or walked back and forth while moving forward, leaving this zig zag pattern, shown below on a Leman style rifle I stocked many years ago. With wear, this sometimes looks like two parallel rows of dots where the graver dug in on turns, and the fine lines between may or may not still be visible.

My foray into muzzleloading began with Indian rifles and late Lancaster pattern rifles for the Rocky Mountain fur trade – Leman, Fordneys, Gumpfs, Gibbs, and others, plus those by Deringer, Henry and other “Phila” makers. This “wriggle engraving” is common on these guns ca 1820 to 1850. But now we have seen bits of this engraving on two rifles with J Graeff barrels that probably date ca 1780 - 1790. One has a small triangular area on the patchbox lid around the rivet for the release done this way, rather than the usual crosshatching with curving single line cuts. The other has this engraving inside a C scroll on the lower pbox sideplate, while engraving on the rest of the pbox is worn away. I wondered if this engraving was added later as part of a restock. But perhaps this technique was applied much earlier than I had assumed?

What are your thoughts, and what rifles and approximate timeframes support your thoughts? Thank you from Westbury and Bob. 

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: when was wriggle engraving used?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 06:14:07 PM »
I don't know but that's some fine workmanship. There may be a significant time period between first show up and became common.  Perhaps a study of silversmithing might
give some clue.  I would think it's possible that the technique was around a long time.  Here is an image of Armor from the Met Museum that uses wiggle engraving. 
Left Arm Defense (Vambrace)
Date: ca. 1380–1400
Accession Number: 29.150.91g
ca. 1380–1400

« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 06:26:21 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline DaveM

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 07:10:48 PM »
Wriggle work was common on many of George Schroyer's guns, as one example - in fact he used it to great artistic effect.  He of course was an early maker who died in 1819. 

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 07:35:29 PM »
Most rifles by Leman used that engraving.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 07:40:29 PM »
Looking at Kindig’s Golden Age book:
26-27 by Haefner
38 by Fordney of course
61 by Feder
109-110 by C. Beck
149 by Conrad Welshans
168 and 169 by Schreyer
173 by Jacob Sell

What I see I the earlier guns 1800-1820-ish is that wriggle engraving is a small part of the composition. Later rifles show a lot more.
Andover, Vermont

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 08:17:52 PM »
Jamestown was the largest of the nine longrifle schools that worked in North Carolina with at least 85 named gunsmiths working between 1800 and 1902. They largely used this style of engraving.  Local collectors have referred to this engraving style as "Chicken Tracks."

This is on a Thaddeus Gardner rifle, he founded the school.

image storage

Isaac Jones patchbox.

Isaac Jones toe plate

Anderson Lamb cap box.

William Lamb toe plate.

James "Duck" White inlays.

Thomas Gluyas sideplate and inlay.

Levin T. Stack inlay.

Thanks,

Michael
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 08:41:42 PM by mbriggs »
C. Michael Briggs

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 08:25:54 PM »
Many thanks for all of the great responses.

The other day I found the Wiggle Pattern on the Pbox door of the Schroyer rifle shown on the Antique Gunroom website.

"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline WESTbury

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 08:32:10 PM »
Jamestown was the largest of the nine longrifle schools that worked in North Carolina with at least 85 named gunsmiths working between 1800 and 1902. They largely used this style of engraving.  Local collectors have referred to this engraving style as "Chicken Tracks."

Mike,

That begs the question. Which came first, the chicken or the track? ::)

Kent
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 10:51:37 PM »
The Virtual Library has an 'S. B.' rifle (Samuel Baum) that appears to be a late 1700s gun and it has accents and shadowing done in the 'Wriggle line" style. This is intermixed with straight line and ornament engraving on the patch box side plates, lid, and the side plate. Since it seems to require a lot of work and control it is surprising that it gained so heavily in popularity over time.
Dick

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2021, 12:55:21 AM »
BTW, I gotta get me some armor to wear.....
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline blienemann

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2021, 01:42:52 AM »
Thank you gentlemen for a great education in just a few days. I had a narrow understanding which you have broadened considerably, and Westbury wins this debate! Shrek’s suggestion of silversmithing reminded me that books like The Covenant Chain show this technique applied to trade silver by the mid-18th century, and it would have been a natural extension to (or from) arms decoration. Your specific examples and photos cover 1350 to 1850, and Michael’s many examples from one school show how common this was in particular areas. I will continue to watch and learn.

I learned this technique from Jack Brooks and the old guns. Place the barrel or inlay about waist high, sketch a centerline of pattern to follow, place your feet in a good position and rotate or move feet as you follow the pattern. Place your shoulder above the piece and use your weight to put pressure down on the graver. As Mike mentioned - sharp, get over the top and walk it. Jack and I are big boys, up on our toes to bring weight to bear, and don’t use our wrist except to walk the tool. No chasing hammer - this is a hand graver, short stem with large ball in palm, like the graver handles Ron Scott has for sale here. With a bit of practice, it comes quickly, could wriggle this barrel in two minutes, the wriggle on patchbox lid and sideplates in 5 minutes. Can vary the effect from tight and consistent for some applications, to quick and loose where appropriate. Can also cut curved lines between points around curves for an interesting look, which comes naturally walking around curves.

This topic is a great example of how helpful this group is to all. Additional posts are welcome. Thanks again, Westbury and Bob

Offline WESTbury

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2021, 03:30:09 AM »
Thank you gentlemen for a great education in just a few days. I had a narrow understanding which you have broadened considerably, and Westbury wins this debate!

I think we all won on this one Bob, and another point that helps all of us gain knowledge.

Kent