Author Topic: Speaking of Banana patchboxes----  (Read 1044 times)

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
Speaking of Banana patchboxes----
« on: February 22, 2021, 06:08:56 AM »
Heres another question in the same subject.
Ever count or notice the number of hinge knuckles on most original iron boxes of this style?
Most others usually have 5 ,but most of these have 7,8,or even 9 very small knuckles. I have made several boxes with the usual method using the fingers cut from the lid and finial, then bent and soldered. I can SOMETIMES get a good knuckle . Recently I found some small hinges,steel, and the right width, so I tinned the hinges,and the metal, and soldered togather. It looks better than my old stiff hands can make, and have 7 knuckles.
SO---- did the old timers buy the boxes ready made like a lot of other parts, or just suffered thru making themselves crazy with the tiny multi knuckles?
Inquiring minds vant to Know!!! Thank y'all. Time to take my sedative and go to bed. Dave F 8) 8)

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: Speaking of Banana patchboxes----
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 05:20:06 PM »
If I remember correctly, Lawing normally used 7 knuckles and Bull used 9.  Even numbered knuckles don't work out.
David

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 06:04:19 PM »
True that. But did they REALLY  go to the grief of doing this tedious thing? I made a good living doing tedious stuff, so maybe they did.
All the ones I have looked at are so unifor as to appear machine made. Thanks. Dave F 8) 8)

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 06:18:05 PM »
I have no idea if they bought them ready made or all copied each other.  There are a lot of different rifles with a variety of characteristics and a lot with very similar patchboxes. 

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 07:01:30 PM »
True that. But did they REALLY  go to the grief of doing this tedious thing? I made a good living doing tedious stuff, so maybe they did.
All the ones I have looked at are so unifor as to appear machine made. Thanks. Dave F 8) 8)
I believe they did.  On the brass mounted rifles we see a lot of carving and engraving as embellishment.  On iron mounted rifles we see over the comb tangs and other such fancy ironwork that had no other purpose except to add adornment.  I believe fancy ironwork was a southern gunmakers equivalent to engraving and carving.  We are all attracted to bells and whistles.
David

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 08:25:57 PM »
Perhaps it is your method of building the hinge that has frustrated you Dave.  I bend the sheet metal first, solder the bent tab down to the lid/head, and then cut the hinges out with a jeweller's saw and files.  This is an enjoyable project and it's possible to get perfect knuckles if one is careful and patient.  I suspect the old gunsmiths made their own rather than purchasing them.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 04:30:35 AM »
Thanks Taylor and all. I suspect they most likely did make em they selves. I also believe in the Harry Callighan school of fill osophy, "a man's Got to know his own Limitations" !! yes indeed. Have a great evening fellows. Dave  8) 8)