Author Topic: Antique Powder Horn Additional pics added.  (Read 2701 times)

Offline G. Elsenbeck

Antique Powder Horn Additional pics added.
« on: February 02, 2021, 06:29:14 PM »
Not sure about the age, but am inclined to think 19th century.  Regardless, I was drawn to the artistic craftsmanship of the throat and tip areas.  It reminded me a bit of the craftsman who created the William Latham powder horn (seen last). 
For some reason I could not remove the stopper.  It is stuck good, maybe glued??  It is definitely a separate piece of the tip area.  There is 12 carved flutes(facets) to the throat and crisply done.  The base plug appears to be either mahogany or walnut and is not round, but rather fitted to the shape of the horn butt end and then carved that appears very well, if not equally, spaced.  Needs a cleaning because of some areas that collected dust.  Must have been hanging someones' wall for some time.  Enjoy.

Latham Horn

« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 09:19:20 PM by G. Elsenbeck »
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Frank Barker

Re: Antique Powder Horn
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 05:05:16 PM »
WOW !  Someone spent lots of time on that baby. I don't think a regular Joe Blow made that horn, it is beautiful...

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 08:24:02 PM »
Is it the picture or is there actual coloring, and if so, what is colored? Very nice horn!!!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 08:48:47 PM »
Appears to be a New England horn with the beautifully shaped spout and the faceted 'shield like' paneling on the front and extending back toward the rear. Seems to me that many of the best horns came from that region. Thank you for showing it here. Wonderful to see!
Dick

Offline G. Elsenbeck

Re: Antique Powder Horn Additional pics added.
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 09:25:13 PM »
Better view of the shape.  This is one large horn with a 3/8 spout hole and measures 17 1/2 inches along the outside curve.

The base plug measure roughly 3 inches in length and 2 3/4 inches wide. 

h

This shot shows a small crack and depression on the edge of the horn and plug.  Should be an easy fix to make usable again. The horn is not perfect that also has a 'soft' depression on one side of the horn where the maker scraped to thinly?  Add the changes in humidity over its' life and this is bound to happen. 

Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 09:37:06 PM »
This shot shows the level of carving the maker executed on the faceted tip area.

This view in the sunlight shows the range of colors including the only area that displays the reddish brown area.  Done by accident? 

Offline John Proud

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 10:21:03 PM »
Gary,

Really a stunning horn. Thanks for the detailed pictures.

John

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 11:21:14 PM »
John, I knew you'd like this one.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 11:53:41 PM »
Really great horn.  Some detail I've not seen on any others.  Thanks
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 02:35:35 AM »
The carving reminds me of my mangle board

remove duplicate lines
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 05:49:06 AM »
What a beauty! Great find.
Andover, Vermont

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2021, 06:10:33 PM »
Gary, thanks for sharing this wonderful piece of art with us.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Algae

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2021, 11:59:01 PM »
I sure hope the artist was being paid by the hour!! ;D

Thanks for sharing!

Al Jenkins

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2021, 05:12:21 PM »
Lovely old horn...the carved tip is exquisite, and the patina it’s picked up over the past couple hundred years is fascinating. Thanks for sharing it with us!

And Shreck, I gotta ask, what is a mangle board?  This hillbilly is not familiar with that term...🤷🏻‍♂️

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2021, 11:15:07 PM »
That is indeed a beautiful horn.  Fantastic tip carving with those "fish scales".  The base plug carving is so precise too.  Looks like a challenge for one of our experienced horners.   God Bless,   Marc

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2021, 11:52:21 PM »
That is indeed a beautiful horn.  Fantastic tip carving with those "fish scales".  The base plug carving is so precise too.  Looks like a challenge for one of our experienced horners.   God Bless,   Marc
Yes Marc, you're right about the beauty of the carving on the throat, there are 12 facets that had to be done.  Whew and/or ouch.

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2021, 05:41:14 AM »
Wow!