Author Topic: Need help with half stock percussion and barrel/lock identification if possible.  (Read 1300 times)

Offline northup87

Went out chasing a lead on some older spearing decoys and duck decoys today,  wasn't expecting to find any blackpowder rifles but 3 followed me home. Along with 7 lbs of dupont and goex 2f, 3f and 4f, and 8 ball molds.

The half stock is an original gun. Lock plate reads warranted with a couple ducks in flight  and pointing dog in rear similar to Goulcher. Barrel is unmarked. Trigger guard is an interesting design. I picked up the gun for parts but wanted to see if anyone knew the maker first before doing anything with it. Possibly New York?

Trade gun is a contemporary gun from the 1970s. Cotton ????  from Brimley, Mi. Its well done, the tack work on it is very nicely done. Even the aging is nicely executed.

The lone barrel and lock are originals and didn't have a stock. both have been worked over a few times for different guns. The barrel end is what I find interesting going from octogan to round. Proud 7 groove rifling. Makers mark is stamped Enterprise on the barrel flat. Lock is another similar to a Goulcher.

Also walked away with an early fireman's water brigade round bottom bucket, all in all today was a good day uncovering stuff.

A.J. Downey

Online bluenoser

I am thinking that trade gun looks to be one of Curly Gostomski's northwest trade guns.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Curly maple half-stock rifle looks like a New York gun, based on its single [and what appears to be brass] trigger, oval lock bolt washer, and its rather long cheekpiece. Shelby Gallien

Offline Jim Spray

Cotton Volrath would be the trade gun maker. He was a great guy to talk to and always had a smile on his face. Drove to shoots in a big ole converted city bus.

Offline northup87

Thanks for all the help guys!

I went and had coffee with my father today for lunch. He knew Cotton pretty well but couldn't place his last name, said much of the same about always having a smile on his face.  He was also sure that it was a Curly Gostomski kit. Thanks for the help with the name Jim!
A.J. Downey