Author Topic: just wondering  (Read 3676 times)

eseabee1

just wondering
« on: September 01, 2009, 10:50:55 PM »
Was talking to a guy today when I went to pick up my son from school ....He is building a rifle that he can ghange barrels on from 45 cal to a 32 so he can hunt tree rats and deer here in pa .....Now my question is I have a northwest trade gun that I love mainly because it fits me I have a long lop its 16inches  so if I got the dimension off the barrel thats in there know would I be able the get a rifled barrel made for it ?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: just wondering
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 11:10:21 PM »
Yes, call Ed Rayl and he can duplicate the dimensions. Now balance and weight is whole nother thing depending on size/caliber you want.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 11:12:47 PM »
Simplest is a new gun. You already have the pattern.

Guns with interchangable barrels don't work out all that well, unless rerally well done. It takes a lot of skill and time so the barrels fit and interchange well. Knowing how I work things, I'd get to the range of the hunt, and find I brought the wrong balls for the barrel. ;D

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 11:28:37 PM »
My first rifle was a Sharon Trade Rifle, percussion, .50.  I added a .54 barrel but never did go elk hunting.  I added a .62 smoothbore that shoots low with a round ball and it's too stout at 1" straight octagon to bend by hand.  It's OK for squirrels and bunnies.  My best hunting buddy used to tease me unmercifully about carrying a quiver full of barrels and being loaded for squirrel when a 10 point buck shows up.  "Urrr- Mr. 10-Point, would you mind standing there for a minute while I change barrels then load this one?"

It was a pain to make 2 identical tangs drilled etc to fit the inlet, to have the drums line up perfectly, lugs lined up perfectly, etc.  Would be the same with a flintlock.

But I enjoyed doing it even if the extra barrels do not see much use.  The old .50 percussion works for rainy days or to lend to a newbie.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 11:33:49 PM by richpierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 12:12:42 AM »
This won't help eseabee1 with his already built northwest trade gun....  but if one set out to build a rifle with the intention of having multiple, interchangable barrels, wouldn't a hooked breech be the way to go?

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 06:20:35 AM »
I know the idea of interchangeable barrels sound great.  But I like the idea of two complete rifles, purpose built for their respective jobs.  Why would I want to tote around a 10 or 12 lb .32 caliber just so the barrel fit on the same stock as a .54 caliber for elk. 

Offline AndyThomas

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 03:47:26 PM »
If you're willing to go the new gun route, these guys do interchangeable barrels on Northwest guns:

http://www.caywoodguns.com/pricing.htm

Andy
formerly the "barefoot gunsmith of Martin's Station" (now retired!)

www.historicmartinsstation.com