Author Topic: Max smoothbore roundball range  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Magungo1066

• Starting Member
Max smoothbore roundball range
« on: February 16, 2021, 10:07:15 PM »
Hello all. What is your max range you are comfortable shooting an animal at with your fowler or smoothbore (roundball). I have a bear hunt coming up in August, and the shot will likely be around/under 50 yards (Dense Maine woods). I haven't practiced much yet with my fowler, and am still working on figuring out the sight picture I should use. I am comfortable to about 45 yards at the moment. Practice, Practice, Practice...

Offline Daniel Coats

Re: Max smoothbore roundball range
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 10:22:07 PM »
Sounds like you're in good shape for a 50 yard shot. I don't think I would go farther than that on bear. As you know bears are hard to judge and size might make the actual distance disceptive. Rangefinder maybe?
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 11:14:18 PM »
Indeed 50 yards is a good max range for hunting with ball.  My smoothbore gets tight 3-shot groups at 50 yds and I can see possibly shooting a deer a bit farther than that.  Bear?  50 yds.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 11:18:13 PM »
Some here will tell you the range you can hit a paper plate. A good standard if you use something like a 7 inch plate. Black bear have
a slightly smaller kill zone, slightly more rarward than a deer.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 12:03:02 AM »
Bears are usually seen flat/black and angles and size & range can be very difficult to estimate.
As close as possible is best.
The pie plate is a GREAT 'test' for maximum range. My own 20 bore shoots amazingly well at close range
of 25 yards, not so great past 40yards.
A rear sight would help.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline John SMOthermon

• John SMOthermon
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 03:21:04 AM »
It really depends on the shooter and the gun...
I’ve seen targets fired off hand at 50 yards that were one ragged hole with a smoothbore.
Smo

Good Luck & Good Shootin'

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 04:59:27 AM »
When a pal and myself felt like hurting ourselves, (!)  we shot our EIC muskets off rests at 55 yards, with full -ish powder charge and felt wads below and on top of the .750" ball, and we both got 4 to 4  1/2" groups for 10 or 15 shots. I forget now. (probably the concussion)
Charge was 125 grs 2F, but off a rest we both looked a bit like chipmunks afterwards.

That should do for hunting I'd think, but never got a shot carrying that musket.
I'd stretch it a bit further with a lighter gun that I have, in 20 gauge.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 06:51:29 AM »
I have a lot of experience with shooting bears with my smoothbore.  The largest black bear I shot was just under 400 pounds .   .715 ball over 120 gr FFg from less than 5 yards.  He went almost 40 + yards and turned to face his back trail before expiring.  My friend shot one which immediately climbed over 20 feet up the tree beside him in about 2 seconds before succumbing and falling.  I will take a shot at a deer out to 50 yards with my smoothbore, but any bear past 30 yards is free and clear. I can call my shots for certain at that range which means a for sure 3 inch or less group. 
You might want to practice reloading quickly while you're at it  :)

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2021, 02:31:02 PM »
It really depends on the shooter and the gun...
I’ve seen targets fired off hand at 50 yards that were one ragged hole with a smoothbore.
I've seen that too Smo...
Until the second shot went downrange.  :-\
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Fred Hembree

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 05:37:34 AM »
You might want to practice reloading quickly while you're at it  :)

That’s a good point you’re making there bob in the woods!  ;)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 05:57:18 AM »
Practicing & be coming proficient with paper ctgs. might be a better second shot, than a patched round ball.
Priming will be the time maker, or breaker.
Loading by the numbers, ie: priming before loading the ball the way the militaries did it, is frowned upon nowadays.
But, loading using paper ctgs. is faster than using patches or wads. If the "load" is snug enough, accuracy will be comparable to patched balls.
Daryl

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 11:15:00 AM »
Right now I'm pretty much in the same boat as Daryl...

Beyond 25 yards I might have better success throwing the gun at them than I would shooting at them. I'm dying to get back out and work on it some more... But not in subzero temps.

Mike

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 08:42:42 PM »
the op hasn't specified, ie:  most ethical range to shoot at game, or at what range is the smoothbore still lethal, and that sort of thing.  So I'll tell you the tale of my first moose kill.  In 1979 I was hunting in the "Primitive Weapons Zone" in British Columbia, using a Brown Bess musket of .75 calibre.  I was shooting a tightly patched .735" pure lead ball over 100 grains of FFg Goehart Owen black powder.  I came upon a moose that had just jumped out of its bed and stood broadside to me at a paced 100 long steps.  My ball struck perfectly, breaking a rib, both lungs, a scapula, another rib and stopped on the off side under the hide.  The ball expanded to about the size of our dollar coin, and the moose staggered another fifteen yards before going TU.
Knowing your own and the guns effective range takes lots of practice, and in this case paid off in spades.  I have said before that you and your gun's effective range is that where you can hit a pie plate every time.  In the case of a moose, the target is a beach ball or garbage can lid.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2021, 11:06:56 PM »
I think you are on the right track.  The key lies with you and your gun.  Between the two of you, determine how far you can hit the vital area of the intended animal every time, from a clean bore.  What others can do really doesn't matter.   :-)   God Bless,   Marc

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2021, 02:18:09 AM »
Thanks for that, Taylor.   My max hunting ranges for my smoothbore are based on the game .
B.bear = 30 yards   Deer  = 50 yards, and Moose = 100 yards . 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2021, 02:57:47 AM »
That 30" kill zone on a broadside moose does make a difference. ;D
Daryl

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2021, 08:42:40 PM »
I think you are on the right track.  The key lies with you and your gun.  Between the two of you, determine how far you can hit the vital area of the intended animal every time, from a clean bore.  What others can do really doesn't matter.   :-)   God Bless,   Marc

Nicely said, Mac.