Author Topic: A New Soddy-Daisy is Born  (Read 2883 times)

Offline MuskratMike

A New Soddy-Daisy is Born
« on: January 28, 2022, 12:35:02 AM »
Today my Soddy-Daisy arrived, and her name is "Maggie-Mae".
Just couldn't get the pictures of a couple of Soddy's that have appeared here and elsewhere out of my mind. After picking the minds of everyone I could fine, searching through my library, I was able to talk my good friend and gun maker Don Bruton into creating this fine rifle. Several e-mails with the Soddy-Daisy Historical Society which culminated in some old Soddy pictures and some of the original builders. Jack Duprey and Don Bruton exchanged a few e-mails on the specifics of a Soddy. My only input was for it to be in .36 caliber, black walnut stock and a 13 3/4-inch L.O.P. Don & I started on this quest in September and now only 4 months later she is born! 7 lbs. 5 oz, and 63 3/4-inch long. Like most if not all of the guns Don makes it is literally created with old fashioned hand tools and fittings from his forge. I did supply a Rice barrel 46-inchs long swamped with radius cut rifling provided by Keith Lisle. The lock started off as a Chambers Late Ketland most everything else such as toe plate, trigger guard, thimbles, nose cap, sights, side plate and butt plate came from Don's own hand in his forge. Some better pictures will be forthcoming, Jack Duprey was the first to see the pictures Don took and proclaimed it real Soddy-Daisy, saying, "very good job", "Looks like you nailed it".
The Bag, measure and patch knife were supplied by Charlie Brown of North Carolina and the powder horn was supplied by Tim Crosby of Ohio.
Don Bruton is not only a master craftsman, rifle builder, and forger but one of the nicest people I have ever known and I count him as a dear friend.
I will supply better pictures when they arrive and of course an article in Muzzle Blasts will be forthcoming in the fall or winter.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 10:15:23 PM by MuskratMike »
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: A New Soddy-Daisy is Born
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 01:19:14 AM »
Let me be the first to congratulate you.  That's a fine looking Soddy in my mind. 

Cheers.

Ken 
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 02:01:42 AM »
Congratulations Mike that Soddy looks just right! Awesome
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 02:44:17 AM »
 Shes pretty enough to sleep with.  Congrats Mike!  Well done.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2022, 02:51:00 AM »
Sharp. I like it. But then Ive never run across a Bruton gun I didnt like. Enjoy
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2022, 04:39:46 AM »
I'm a PA Longrifle guy, but that' sexy!
Kunk

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2022, 05:07:46 AM »
Don sure does know how to create an appealing gun.  You have to be happy with that beauty.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2022, 03:58:28 PM »
Now THAT is one sweet rifle.  Congrats.

Offline Dave R

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2022, 04:28:46 PM »
EXACTING RECREATION! 👍😉

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2022, 04:31:29 PM »
Very nice. That should be a fine shooter. I sure like those long barreled, walnut stocked, iron-mounted slim rifles.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Spalding

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2022, 05:38:46 PM »
Simply stunning.

Bob

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2022, 05:50:24 PM »
Another great rifle by a fine gunmaker, gentleman and friend. Mike I know you are very proud of that one. We Carolina boys are all proud of Don’s work.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2022, 09:23:41 PM »
 That is one Good looking rifle.

Tim

Offline duca

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2022, 09:28:55 PM »
Great Job!!!! Now go have Fun with it!

Anthony
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2022, 09:51:22 PM »
 :o :o ;) ;).... So good to see a Soddy that actually has all the Soddy characteristics,.. so rare because most only concentrate on the unique cheek-rest, but Don had incorporated ALL the features ... a rifle even I would be  like to own and call a Soddy rifle,.. Enoch Hardin and John Clements would be proud of Don's skill and attention to detail,.. !!! ... I really like it,... regards,... Cades Cove Fiddler,...  ten thumbs up,..!!!

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2022, 09:56:54 PM »
 ??? ???... By the way,... I was so taken by the accuracy of the rifle, forgot to mention your shootin' gear,... they are very proper in style for the rifle,... well done and complimentary to this rifle,.. enjoy your gun and gear, knowing they are RIGHT,.. !!! .. CCF,..

Offline DBoone

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2022, 06:18:51 PM »
Thank you all for your kind comments.  I am always humbled clean down to the ground when someone likes one of my rifles.  I have been at it for a long time and have learned a lot along the way from many great gunmakers right here on ALR.... like Bob Hill, Dan Coats, Jack Duprey, Eric Kettenburg, Mike Brooks, and many others. 
When it comes to comments and critique I know of no one more knowledgeable about Tennessee mountain rifles than Cades Cove Fiddler.  He is an absolute fountain of knowledge on these guns, especially.  Thanks, Dana!
Also, when it comes to building a rifle for someone.....lucky is the man who gets to work with Muskrat Mike!  What a guy and a Brother, all the way!  Thanks, Mike!

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2022, 07:47:24 PM »
All I have to say about that is even though Don no longer takes custom orders he is far from retired. If you want a fine rifle that was made in the old ways by a master craftsman call or e-mail Don. He always has a rifle or smoothbore in the works. His prices are in anyone's price range, and he often can get one out in just a couple of months, not years.  It is my honor to have 3 of his rifles, Don is a humble and kind man that I count as a friend. I am proud to carry his rifles everywhere I shoot. They are distinct, superbly made, historically correct, and priced fair.
Thanks for making this one for me Don!
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2022, 09:53:53 PM »
"Don is a humble and kind man...."

You can say that again.  It is always appealing when a great man doesn't really realize how great they are.    :-) 

God Bless,   Marc

Offline AZshot

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2022, 11:15:24 PM »
Great looking rifle, I'm starting to like these Soddy's more the more I look at them (now that I've bought a couple originals with their features).  Don make s nice gun, I still love handling and shooting the one he built that I got a couple years ago.  I'm holding it in my avatar photo, which was done on wetplate. 

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2022, 05:21:18 AM »
bump
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2022, 07:07:13 AM »
Mr. McGuire, you got yourself quite a nice rig there . That is one nice Soddy, she’s a lady you would want to take to the dance...!
👍👍👍
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2022, 05:50:45 AM »
This thread reminds me, anyone heard from Bob recently? I know he is a big fan of the Soddy Daisy school.

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2022, 08:28:56 AM »
A fine rifle you have there.

How is Soddy pronounced? Saw-dee or Sow-dee? It just makes me think of the movie Escanada in da moonlight with Jeff Daniels and the Soddy family deer camp.
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!