Author Topic: Bullet casting furnace question.  (Read 3416 times)

Offline wvmtnman

Bullet casting furnace question.
« on: February 18, 2021, 02:23:46 AM »
I’m at a point where I need to start casting.  In the past I’ve always bought my round balls.  This past Christmas, I bought my son a reproduction musket.  Minie balls are not cheap!  I have about 100 pounds of soft lead plumbing pipe. It was still being used in the house until I remodeled it. 
  What recommendations do you guys have as far as furnaces go?  I was thinking about a Lee bottom pour.  Any experiences?
       Thanks, Brian
B. Lakatos

Offline snapper

Re: Bullet casting furnace question.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 03:05:53 AM »
I have a bottom pour pot that is sitting under the bench.   A bought a Waage years ago.   You might have to call them regarding their pot made for casting bullets.   Might not be on their website.

I like it.   The key to good casting is temp. control.   For that you need a pot that does not have wide swings in temps.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 03:56:32 AM »
Being the simple and frugal type I just use a ladle and an open top pot that I wrapped high temp insulation around and then sheet steel to hold it on . For heat I use an old reclaimed 4 burner range top . I have 220 v in my casting area , if not an older 110v coil type hot plate will work just takes longer to melt the lead . A gas fired Coleman camp stove will also do

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 03:58:35 AM »
My 10 pound Lee bottom pour started rusting out around the top edge after 30-35 years. Bought one of their 20 pound bottom pour type.
 Came across a Hot Pot on a bargain table. Started using it to pour faster (larger) stream on 550 minie balls.  Pour big puddle on the mold over the 20 lb then refill the Hot Pot.

Tried dipping but like chewing Red Man vs dipping Leas. 😁
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 04:21:14 AM »
I have several.  I like the large lee bottom pour best. 

Some will say bottom pour is no good.  I do not think it matters.  Each type is a learning curve.  I use gang molds whenever possible.  Using a dipper is fine for onesies and twosies but not a bunch at one sitting .  I get about 95% good bullets one heated and running.  I also cast hundreds in a session.  Usually 20# of whatever I am casting and then I get tired of it. 

IF you only want to cast a few in a one cavity mold then a pot and dipper will do OK.

Do get a thermometer.  Without it you are working in the dark.  You will not get consistent results unless the lead is a consistent temperature. 

Offline EC121

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 05:29:51 AM »
Any pot that gets hot enough will work, but because minies use a lot of lead, a smaller pot will run empty quicker. 
Brice Stultz

Offline snapper

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 05:36:35 AM »
I used to use a thermometer, and now have not used one in years.   Kinda like when I started smoking meat, used one all the time.

Fleener

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 05:46:30 AM »
I have two of the bottom pour melting pot. Both leaked out the bottom so fast I gave them up for a 8 or 10 lb open cast iron pot and dipper.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 05:51:28 AM »
I have 2 Lee bottom pour pots, one for hard lead, one for soft. I removed all the bottom pour plumbing, then plugged the inner bottom pour spout with a #6 self tapping machine screw. I dip
for balls and bullets. It's the only way- for me.  I also use chips of beeswax for fluxing. Parafin will also work. Marvelux worked, but coats the pot in a skin I do not like.

edited - both of my pots are 20 pounders.  I tried 10 pound pots and they were too small for my use.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 09:17:53 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 05:59:59 AM »
I prefer an old cast iron pot and a Coleman stove. Using a ladle has worked the best for me re consistency , especially when casting 550 gr bullets for the long range matches, or my .715 and .735 balls.  Casting a couple hundred or more isn't a chore once you get a good rhythm going.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 10:47:36 AM »
I have the standard 10 lb Lee bottom pour pot... It drips... I deal with it.

I picked these up at a flea market sometime back, got them for a song. I can only guess on the kettle's capacity... But if the Lee holds 10 lbs. I think the kettle will do 20 lbs. without too much trouble. I like the ladel, the gate should help you pour off the bottom and keep dross/junk out of your cast. Haven't used them yet, but I look forward to trying them the next time I make ingots.

Mike

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 03:11:12 PM »
I use a LEE 20 lb bottom pour. I've had considerable experience with it and have learned a couple of things along the way.
It is critical that the pot be filled with CLEAN lead when you're running bullets. Lead such as your recovered plumbing pipe should be smelted first to get it clean and free from impurities. For smelting, I use a cast iron pot on a Coleman stove then pour the CLEAN lead into an ingot mold and use the ingots to load the LEE pot for casting bullets to prevent junk from contaminating my LEE pot. I still flux the "clean" lead in my LEE pot thoroughly with beeswax before starting to cast. That involves considerable stirring and scraping the sides and bottom of the pot to bring out any remaining impurities that can be skimmed off the top of the molten lead. If you're using a LEE bottom pour pot it should be physically secured to prevent it being knocked over. When running bullets, I keep a thermometer in the metal the entire time. I've found my LEE 20 lb pot holds temperature just fine, once I get it where I want it. For lead roundballs I get the best results running at 800 degrees. I keep a field expedient cover over the top of my LEE pot at all times when casting, and while it is in storage. The cover I'm using is fabricated by folding several layers of heavy duty Aluminium foil into a square shape that I lay onto the rim of the pot. 
Of course all other normal protocols apply when handling molten lead. NO moisture any where near your hot pot,well ventilated area, gloves, eye protection, fully clothed...( no shorts or flip-flops on your feet).
With decent equipment and following good safety practices you can enjoy casting your own bullets and balls as part of the enjoyment of the hobby. If you hunt, taking game with your own "home-made" bullets and roundballs adds a whole new level of satisfaction to any successful hunt.

Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Nazgul

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 04:07:51 PM »
Have 2 of the Lee 20 lb pots, used them for 30+ years. Keep them clean, the spout may drip, just turn the stopper with a screwdriver like the instructions say.

I put mine in a cookie baking sheet. It will contain all 20 pounds of lead if it were to drop a full pot.

For the money I can buy several Lee pots for the cost of one more expensive brand. Have yet to have a Lee be retired because it failed.

Don

Offline snapper

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2021, 04:18:24 PM »
Mike

Just please be careful with that pot and not tip it over when you have hot lead in it.

There is a guy that I shot with in WI, a few years ago he tipped his pot over and severely burned his foot.   I try to wear a pair of pull on boots that are leather when I cast now.   I can get them off in a hurry if needed and they provide better protection then a pair of boots that has an open front and not 100% leather.

Fleener

Offline Maven

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2021, 05:51:13 PM »
I do exactly as Daryl does, including removing the bottom pour parts of my Lee furnaces and using Marvelux as a flux.  Btw, I also use a "Tel True" thermometer at least until the furnace comes up to casting temperature.
Paul W. Brasky

Offline mushka

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2021, 06:37:38 PM »
I have a ten pound capacity lee pot.  Had it since 1980.  Always works, pours good bullets and balls if the mould is good. I set the temperature at about 730 degs many years ago and haven't changed the temp ever, haven't needed to.  If you get one you'll probably be satisfied as many others are.  If you like the ladle as shown before it can be modified or just use a coleman stove and iron pot.  Enjoy the experience.

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2021, 07:16:32 PM »
Brian, I use to shoot musket a lot in mainly local matches and NMLRA territorials as well as the shoots at Friendship. I used a Lyman 20lb pot and a RCBS ladle(it's larger than the Lyman). It's mainly a factor of getting the lead at the right temp and finding a technic for pouring that works for you. When I got everything going right, I could cast upwards to 120 good minies in an hour. Also don't disregard round balls. Many of those repro muskets shoot them well.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 06:44:17 PM by Robin Henderson »
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2021, 11:32:25 PM »
When I was doing a lot of bullseye shooting with modern pistols I ran two 40 pound cast iron plumber pots on top of the 20 pound propane tanks. I used 6, 8, and 10 cavity H&G molds for .38 & .45 caliber bullets. I used a ladle to dip the lead because you had to get a lot of lead into the molds to fill them. You would never do this with a 10 or 20 pound bottom pour pot and get good bullets. I would cast around 5000 on a Saturday and size & lube them on Sunday using a Star luber/sizer.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2021, 12:31:15 AM »
I have two of the Lyman 20 pounder electric casting pots.  They came with a bottom pour option, but I don't like that, preferring to dip from the top, so I removed the apparatus for bottom pouring and plugged the exit hole.  They keep lead at a uniform temperature and I cast hundreds of rounds in a session.  I like this system.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Tilefish

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2021, 12:41:04 AM »
Just purchased one of the Lee 10# bottom pours. My brother in law owns  a recycle plant so lead is not a problem.
Received a lot of advice from Daryl before starting. Now my only problem is I am casting more than I could ever shoot. ;D.
I also learned if you get the lead to hot you get some FUNKY colored balls.
Chad

Offline Daryl

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2021, 03:01:24 AM »
Chad - you need a gun that uses more lead, obviously. ::)
A .69 will use more, but an 8 bore will use twice as much. ;D :o
Daryl

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2021, 03:09:28 AM »
I’ve used a pair of the 20 pound Lee’s Production Pots for decades, and have cast tens of thousands of 350-550 grain bullets in 40 and 45 calibers for BPCR, and probably as many or more 200-300 grain for pistol shooting (I like big bores). Like Daryl I use one pot for pure lead for muzzleloading projectiles, and harder alloy for center fire rifles and pistols in the other. I’ve always used a dipper, and prefer the one made by RCBS. It’s just whatever you get used to, and like most things a lot will depend on your technique.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tilefish

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2021, 03:37:48 AM »
Chad - you need a gun that uses more lead, obviously. ::)
A .69 will use more, but an 8 bore will use twice as much. ;D :o

Thanks for all the help Daryl.Slowly building a collection a fowler will be next,
Chad

Offline wvmtnman

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2021, 04:06:57 AM »
I appreciate the responses.  I’m thinking pay day I will get a bottom pour 20 pound pot and a minie ball mold. 
   Currently, I’m running about $1 per shot!  When everything is factored in... 
          Thanks, Brian
B. Lakatos

Offline Daryl

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2021, 06:57:31 AM »
Pure lead is usually needed & requisite for Minnies.  Slightly harder might work, but I expect nothing harder than 30:1 tin to lead.
Now, patched round balls loaded in the .58's and .577's do exceptionally well at round ball ranges, to 200or so yards on target.
I've had 5 .58's now including 2 military rifles and they all shot patched round balls exceptionally well as well as Minnies (altered).
You will 'get' almost or over 2 round balls from the lead required for 1 Minnie.
Daryl