Author Topic: (Help) Attaching Charger to Woven Strap  (Read 1346 times)

Offline Panzerschwein

(Help) Attaching Charger to Woven Strap
« on: February 18, 2021, 09:46:46 PM »
I am pondering the rig for my next gun and would like a nice woven powder horn strap for my horn. Using a belt bag (Lemuel Lyman style) means I won’t have a leather shoulder strap to attach a charger and pick to.

Any suggestions? Maybe I could just get away with carrying a charger and vent pick inside the pouch? Might be nice not to have them dangling anyway.

Offline Marcruger

Re: (Help) Attaching Charger to Woven Strap
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 11:21:56 PM »
Hey Smokey,

You could add/sew a circle of leather to the front and back of the woven strap, and sew your hangers to that.  Lots of options.  You could sew a back-to-back pair of buttons on the strap too as something to which you could affix a hanger. 

Jim Webb told me that the old guys did not have their accoutrements dangling from their straps.  Too much chance of noise, movement or loss from catching on something.  They were tucked under the side of the flap and into the bag unless the shooter was loading. 

I hope this helps.   Marc

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 06:27:54 AM »
Take a piece of hemp string, the thin kind, and tie it to your measure. Run the other end of the string though the strap and tie it off.
Psalms 144

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 01:07:09 AM »

This is what I did, except on a leather strap. I used a braintan lace looped around the horn strap, one end as a keeper for the spout stopper, and a charger/brass wire pick on the other. This works fine for range/trail walks, but does clunk around a bit much for hunting.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 01:12:22 AM »
That’ll work well! That measure will tuck neatly inside the flap of that bag too. That’s how I like it. I make enough racket ambling through the woods as it is.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 06:23:57 PM »

This is what I did, except on a leather strap. I used a braintan lace looped around the horn strap, one end as a keeper for the spout stopper, and a charger/brass wire pick on the other. This works fine for range/trail walks, but does clunk around a bit much for hunting.

Greg

LOVE that, thanks, Greg!! I’ll be trying that method out.

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 05:53:36 PM »
Greg, did you do the lovely work on that horn?
Cheers Richard

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 06:42:10 PM »
I was going to say the same about that lovely horn.  Whoever did it did nice work.  God Bless,  Marc

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 08:40:36 PM »
LOVE that horn as well! I need to do more research on French n’ Indian horns and “cootermints”.

Research has shown belt bags like the Lemuel Lyman specimen and woven powder horn straps were around.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 11:14:25 PM »
Richard and Marc, yes, that’s one of my horns. I thought I’d posted it before, but maybe not...I’ll try to get some good pictures and post it separately. It’s my “EDC” horn...LOL

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson