Author Topic: Buttstock Pattern  (Read 1150 times)

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
Buttstock Pattern
« on: February 19, 2021, 03:21:48 AM »
I am posting this for a friend who is interested if any of the antique guys (no, not your age!) have observed this pattern on a buttstock bottom flat, or any other area of a rifle stock for that matter. On page 103 of the new book, Pennsylvania Longrifles of Note 4th Edition, a very similar pattern is present on the bottom buttstock flat of a Thomas Allison rifle.

To me, it looks like a lot of tedious work, but it is eye catching.

Thanks in advance for your help, comments, or observations.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 06:50:07 PM by WESTbury »
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Re: BUTTSTOCK PATTERN
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 06:10:23 AM »
A number of western PA makers near Pittsburgh used this border detail, or one similar, along the lower butt edge, and at times in other areas. Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 07:44:56 AM by Tanselman »

Online Lucky R A

• In Costume
Re: BUTTSTOCK PATTERN
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 02:37:11 PM »
        A number of Western PA makers used this stamped detail.   Sometimes it was long the side of the bottom of the buttstock.  Your example has an unusual toe plate termination for a Pittsburg gun. It may have been made a bit further west in Ohio.    Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Re: Buttstock Pattern
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 10:43:38 PM »
This western PA detail varies among the rifle makers who used it, with no two maker's borders being exactly alike...just similar in appearance. Your friend's border appears to be punched in with the tip of an awl and darkened when the stock was stained. The tiny holes have probably swelled back shut over the years, or simply filled in with handling oil, dirt and gunk. Shelby Gallien

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
Re: Buttstock Pattern
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 11:45:45 PM »
Ron  Shelby,

Thanks for the info.

I am guessing that this form of decoration was a matter of preference and perhaps customer request. There may be the possibility that it developed in some form in Eastern or Central Pa earlier in the period and migrated westward. Who knows!

Kent
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964