Author Topic: Discussion of the French pistol on the Blog, restored by Eric von Aschwege  (Read 1441 times)

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
That's the size pistol that really gets my attention. I think I have a place in my life for one like that-rather than a great long "bear" pistol.  I realize that many will differ and that doesn't bother me one bit.

I'd like to hear what other observers might add about this or this type of pistol, and also would most like to see the muzzle or get a bore approximation. The copy says it follows the pattern of French cavalry pistols, besides length, so I suppose bore might be derived from any documentation or extant pistols/copies of such origins.

Perhaps Eric or Robert Weil (photo and copy credit) or the owner can tell us the approximate bore of this one, and or any other interesting facts that didn't make it onto the blog. Thank you for sharing.

reference:
http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2021/02/assembled-french-pistol-c-167080.html

note for mods:
I started to put this OTBF, but as it's a European original and we now can discuss these things, I posted here.  Hope there's not another post here on ALR on the same gun-but the server is presently giving busy signals, so I'm trying to limit my demands on the system (didn't go looking). If there is another post, feel free to combine or delete mine-whichever suits the ALR best.

Hold to the Wind

Offline Ezra

Re: Discussion of the French pistol on the Blog, restored by Eric von Aschwege
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 04:43:11 AM »
I love this design, perfect for clearing a doorway.  I, as well, would be very interested in bore size.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 06:35:29 PM »
Yes that link shows the wood repair, which is a fantastic job.

But it doesn't talk about the gun, and bore is cleverly kept from view in every photo-masked in blue it is.

Is there no one here with French Cavalry pistol familiarity?  Maybe Eric is the only one. I suppose the only thing to do here is wait for Eric to notice and reply to the thread. I realize he didn't have to measure the bore, but I trust his eyes gave him a fairly good notion of what it might be.

I'll go poke the web but really expect nothing for reference, nothing on the order of what knowledge abounds these halls. If I find out differently, I'll share. thanks.
Hold to the Wind

Offline jbigley

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 06:34:33 PM »
That's the size pistol that really gets my attention. I think I have a place in my life for one like that-rather than a great long "bear" pistol. 
Wade, we are in agreement. :D --JB

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 07:54:49 PM »
Seeing now that Eric hasn't posted here in many months, and hasn't replied to PM, I've emailed him.  I'll relay info back here if I receive any. 

Contemporary aside: Someone here built a really nice pistol some years back and I've hunted that thing over and over and cannot find it.  Seems it was .82 bore or thereabouts.  If someone remembers that piece or who made it, would you please let me know, thanks. Here or PM or email I don't care.  I gotta have a snake charmer one of these days and it's going to be flint. and compact enough to carry most of the time.
Hold to the Wind

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 06:35:54 PM »
Hey Folks - Yep it's been a while, I still check in on the forum once a week, but have been swamped with projects (including a house renovation... the previous owner fancied himself a carpenter, but I wouldn't have given him a set of Legos to play with...).   

I've been spending a lot more time doing restoration work for customers, including the owner of this pistol.  As it arrived from the auction house, it had a small broken piece from the side of the muzzle, as shown in the Contemporary Makers Blog.  I had the lock out for repairs, though the barrel stayed in the stock, as it would have caused damage to try to remove it.  The barrel was probably between .5 and .6 cal, smoothbore of course, though I didn't measure it except to confirm it wasn't loaded.  The barrel was about 6" long or so.   There was some discussion as to whether it was a composite gun made with an earlier lock and barrel.

I've no doubt that the lock and barrel were made at the same time, and the guard and buttcap likely were the same age.  The sideplate is a bit of an anomaly, as is the carving, which has the appearance of later French styling.  Hard to say exactly, but my thoughts as I had it in hand were that it was all original, late 17th or early 18th century.   

It's definitely a civilian piece, following the general style of the period, though with a shorter barrel than was typical at the time. 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 09:28:25 AM »
Thanks Eric, and for sharing the repair work. It's a great little gun.
Hold to the Wind