Author Topic: COYKENDORKER RIFLE  (Read 3463 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
COYKENDORKER RIFLE
« on: February 20, 2021, 08:02:43 PM »
Mostly based on The "Coykendahl" rifle by Christian Oerter from Christian's Spring, circa 1774-5.
  Red maple stock, 38" Rice "C" weight swamped  barrel in .54. Zornes lock, Davis triggers, my castings. 15' of fine silver wire and 3' of brass wire. Trigger pull is 13 5/16". I didn't weight it but it's probably about 7 1/2 lbs. The punched decoration inside of the wire design comes right from Oerter's "Coykendahl" rifle.

NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: COYKENDORKER RIFLE
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 08:18:26 PM »
That's a super cool rifle Mike!  There's sure a lot going on there.  Love those early rifles.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 08:24:08 PM »
Lots to like there!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 09:27:27 PM »
My family on my mother’s side originally came from North Carolina before the American Revolution, and after a short stay in Virginia. They married into the Kykendahl clan.
This name is very similar to several others from that area. A friend that lives near me here in California has the last name of Kirkendahl a little checking of genealogy records revealed that both families are related, but adopted different spellings.
 This rifle is amazing, a fine piece of work.

Hungry Horse

Offline snapper

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 09:31:41 PM »
I like it!

Heading to IL on Sunday for work.   Might have to stop and see it in person....

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline EC121

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 12:30:25 AM »
Check your messages Mike.
Brice Stultz

Offline blienemann

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 01:01:32 AM »
Mike, thank you for this fine rifle, and thank you for applying the punched decoration. We speculated that the stippling might suggest a lowered background from relief carving, allowing the "high areas" and cheekpiece to seem to stand above, but that was only a guess from the aged appearance of the original. What do you think? It certainly does highlight the design. Did you do anything different with stain in the stamped areas, or did the punched circles take more stain to appear darker? You may be the second person since 1774 to apply this technique!

Hungry Horse, I found the same names you have, beginning with Kuykendahl in upstate New York, spilling into New Jersey where some adopted Coykendall, then south to Salisbury, NC, on to Virginia, Kentucky, Arkansas, first into Texas and on. I believe this old rifle came from an elderly lady named Kirkendall in New Mexico, who had no relatives that wanted the rifle. Thanks for a great post, Bob

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 02:24:50 AM »
Mike, thank you for this fine rifle, and thank you for applying the punched decoration. We speculated that the stippling might suggest a lowered background from relief carving, allowing the "high areas" and cheekpiece to seem to stand above, but that was only a guess from the aged appearance of the original. What do you think? It certainly does highlight the design. Did you do anything different with stain in the stamped areas, or did the punched circles take more stain to appear darker? You may be the second person since 1774 to apply this technique!

I blew up the pics real big on the KRA disc and it sure looks like punched background to me. So I figured why not? It really makes what would usually be the relief carved design pop. I didn't do anything with the stain in the punched areas. The gun is stained with kibler's Ferric Nitrate. I had originally thought the punched areas might need some black paint, but  I think  just the punching alone gives the desired darker effect.  Probably the original gun has quite alot of built up dirt in those areas.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline FALout

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 03:21:50 AM »
Very distinctive rifle there Mike, looks great!
Bob
Bob

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 03:35:18 AM »
That is a fine piece of work there Mr. Oerter, I mean Brooks.  Great representation of Oerter's work, once again.  Very well done!!

Offline rennikselum

• Jeff Rogers
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2021, 08:35:20 PM »
Fantastic work again Mike!

Thanks for sharing.

Jeff

Offline R.J.Bruce

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2021, 02:33:57 AM »
Great job!!

I don't know which rifle I like more, this one, or the one with the red paint. Both are stunning.

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2021, 07:07:54 AM »
Mike did you make a punch or did you find Paul Bunyun's nail punch?

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2021, 05:18:32 PM »
Rumor has it that this beautiful gun is yet another victim of that great sucking sound from down in Alabama!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline EC121

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2021, 05:24:26 PM »
It could also be the creek behind your house rising from the melting snow.    ;D
Brice Stultz

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2021, 05:43:49 PM »
Mike did you make a punch or did you find Paul Bunyun's nail punch?
Common nail punch

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2021, 07:24:10 PM »
 Really neat, gonna be hard to follow but I'm sure you will have no trouble, look forward to it.

Tim

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2021, 09:13:00 PM »
Really neat, gonna be hard to follow but I'm sure you will have no trouble, look forward to it.

Tim
Things are going to be much tamer for the next year or so.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2021, 09:21:22 PM »

Tim
Things are going to be much tamer for the next year or so.
Yeah, like a full blown Winchester Virginia rifle with a brass barrel! Tame er down partner!!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2021, 10:30:57 PM »
  Mike an Wayne. You two are turning out more guns than
ever..!  Keep building an keep showing..

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2021, 10:37:45 PM »
I’ve got two new ones in the pipe line. Won’t be long on either. One is guaranteed to turn some noses up. Folk Art piece.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Ben I. Voss

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2021, 05:01:09 AM »
The legacy continues! Nice job, Mike. Thanks for sharing.
Ben

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2021, 03:58:06 PM »
I was just thinking about that....I had an unfinished Lehigh rifle with me at the Kibler kit building class at F-ship last August. It was # 379. This one is # 380. Looks like I'm producing 3 - 4 guns a year now.  Hardly the factory I used to operate. ::)

Offline t.caster

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2021, 05:07:22 PM »
That's a $#*! of a creation, Mike. Very flamboyant...just like the original! Wow, I like it!
Tom C.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2021, 04:30:27 PM »
That, in my opinion, is one of your finest compositions Mike.   I like the classic lines and the drop looks like it'd make a comfortable shooter.  The wire work encircling the punched and stained area is subtle, classy and appealing.  Is that actually darker staining in those areas, or did the stock stain just take darker where punched?   There's a lot of work there Mike, but it all came together really well.   God Bless,  Marc