Author Topic: Progress on an Edward Marshall Rifle FINISHED  (Read 11034 times)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Progress on an Edward Marshall Rifle
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2021, 07:41:57 PM »
Hi Wayne,
Do you suppose he painted your gun orange too? ;D

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2021, 08:02:34 PM »
One of the gunsmiths at Old Salem stains the stock yellow at that stage as he said it picks out any flaws.  He claimed it was invisible once the gun was stained with nitric acid. 

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2021, 08:38:16 PM »
Hi Wayne,
Do you suppose he painted your gun orange too? ;D

dave
I would wager good money that he did. You can see that color in the background. When combined with whatever he used as his primary color, the results are very nice.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 09:31:26 PM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2021, 01:36:50 AM »
Hi Marc and Wayne,
I've  used water based colors for years to highlight scratches and rough spots.  The color does disappear when ferric nitrate is applied but most of the color is scraped off before.  Sometimes I use pure black particularly on cherry and walnut.  After scraping, it is still embedded in the grain and gives the final color an old mellow look.  However, I sometimes I add layers of color.  I test scraps of the maple with just ferric nitrate (aqua fortis) and sometimes the resulting colors are very monochromatic, meaning the figure highlights are just darker shades of the same red-brown color.  Depending on my objectives, I may layer other colors like yellow, orange, and red, to gain more diversity and interest in the color of the wood. 

dave 

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2021, 02:36:16 AM »
I’m a firm believer that there is every much skill in getting a desired color as many of the other tough tasks in getting these things right. There’s a lot of practice that goes into getting the color right in my shop. Imagine going through all of this work and then failing with the final steps. Rock on!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2021, 01:16:20 AM »
Hi,
I am carving the patch box lid.  I still have to clean things up, even some shapes and add a few details including the thumb hole but it is almost done.  The question, is it Santa, Rasputin, or perhaps, Mike Brooks.

dave

Offline Daryl

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2021, 06:11:46 AM »
Looks like Brooks to me, with a little more hair on his face. :o
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2021, 06:56:31 PM »
Hi,
Finished the lid for now.  I have to move on to the other carving. 

I like it and I softened the edges of the carving to be a bit to be more like the original.

dave

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2021, 01:28:07 AM »
Hi,
I finished the carving on the cheek side of the butt.  I really admire how the maker created a complex image and feeling with very few and simple lines.  It is like the best cartoonists who can capture the essence of a person or event with very few lines and details.  To me, it is the sign of a true master.  Anyway, on to the other areas and then I come back for final check up and detailing if needed, and then stain.

dave

Offline Dwshotwell

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2021, 01:38:55 AM »
There is definitely something about that "negative" (in the good, artistic sense) space above the cheek piece set off by those two swooping arcs that speaks of elegant simplicity. It's like a stage curtain descending over the lower carving. I've looked at pictures of other folk's take on this rifle, and there is something about your rendition that seems to really capture it or set it off.
David Shotwell

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2021, 01:12:54 AM »
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the compliment.  I think what you are noticing is I widened the incised line at the bottom of the curves, which gives the design a little more mass.  I should clarify that is a slight departure from the original.  There is another feature in my carving that is a mistake relative to the original.  Note that the main stem of the leaf and scroll design exiting the upper right end of the cheek piece dips down a little before forming the leaves and scrolls.  If you look at the carving Stoner Creek showed above by Jud Brennan, that stem does not dip and stays fairly high or thick right into the leaf designs.  IMO there is nothing wrong or unattractive with the way I carved it but it is a departure from the original gun.  It resulted from me not leaving enough wood thickness at that point as I final shaped the cheek piece.  Basically, I initially misinterpreted my photo images of the carving. This is why having the original in hand is so valuable.  Again, thanks Dave and I'll be posting more soon.

dave

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2021, 02:10:01 AM »
Hi,
Finished the lid for now.  I have to move on to the other carving. 

I like it and I softened the edges of the carving to be a bit to be more like the original.

daveThat viking cartoon guy, is it Hagar ?

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2021, 05:58:12 AM »
Well, I thought it was Mike Brooks, but the head wasn't big enough.  Maybe Sandy Claws?

Really fine job on all the carving, including the patchbox lid.  Was the "head" intentional, or merely a product of the design elements?

I keep yellow aniline dye on the shelf for the same purpose that you use the orange.  It really show up scratches and such, but is easily removed by sanding and/or scraping.  And as mentioned above, it disappears under the alcohol stains used more traditionally.

Wish I had your ability with the carving tools.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2021, 07:01:01 AM »
Dave, the carving is looking great!  Awesome job.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline alacran

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2021, 02:39:47 PM »
Dave I think you are making a really fine interpretation of this rifle. Working from photos is very challenging and you have done an excellent job in capturing the work of another man. I have been looking at the photos of this gun on the December issue of Muzzleloader'  The details that you mention that deviate from the original are only evident if they are pointed out as you have.
Looking forward to see the final finish.
I really like the Honey tones of the original.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2021, 02:57:13 PM »
Hi and thanks everyone,
Alacran, I like that honey color too.  I think I am going to try and copy it as far as I can.  I have plenty of scrap wood to experiment with.

dave

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2021, 12:16:49 AM »
Hi,
Finished the carving on the patch box side of the stock and then the breech.  The breech carving on the original gun looks fairly simple at first glance but when you look closely, it is complicated and sophisticated.  It looks to be done by a European trained master.  I have the rear ramrod pipe carving to do and then final check up and clean.  Adding a few incised details and then stain.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2021, 12:52:41 AM »
Hi,
Finished the carving, cleaned up the stock, stained it and then applied my first coat of finish. 

dave

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2021, 02:04:01 AM »
Looking good! Great color too.
Andover, Vermont

Online Jerry

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2021, 02:50:50 PM »
smart dog, Nice work. I especially like the proportions of your carving. Good project! Jerry

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2021, 05:52:22 PM »
I love the tang carving. Just fantastic!  Can I offer my thoughts on a small detail with the box? 

Jim

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2021, 12:33:19 AM »
Hi and thanks for looking folks,
I am really enjoying making this rifle.  We are having warm dry weather great for drying stocks so I should finish this one up pretty soon.

Jim, I would be happy to have your comments.  You often see details that I missed.

dave

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2021, 04:17:04 PM »
Hey Dave.  Sorry for the delayed response.  Anyways...  maybe it's my eyes, but I wonder if the box is pointing upward a bit more than the original?  Something minor for sure, but sometimes catches my eye.

Jim

Offline t.caster

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2021, 05:00:48 PM »
You've done a beautiful job on it. Color pics of the original show a light golden stain all over, so I wouldn't go any darker. But it is your rifle so whatever you want. Jud's creation is darker but still looks incredible!
Tom C.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2021, 05:53:24 PM »
Hi Jim,
Thanks buddy for the comment.  The nose is centered on the carving and the rear placed top to bottom in proportion with the original (the butt plate is a tiny bit shorter than the original).  But the final stock dimensions deviate a little from the original mainly because of adapting the stock to the owner.  The original is too straight for him so I had to add drop.  I think that might affect the positioning of the box lid relative to the original. 

Hi Tim,
I really tried to get that light honey butter color and thought I had the right mix of ferric nitrate on scrap wood from the stock.  When I did the stock, it looked terrible!  Very little of the reds showed after blushing.  So I hit it with lye water and out came the color and off I go.  Unfortunately, the oil varnish finish darkens it a little more.   I suspect that honey butter look on the original is augmented by 260 years.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

dave