Author Topic: Chambers Early Lancaster Kit finally done  (Read 13693 times)

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
Re: Chambers Early Lancaster Kit finally done
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2009, 05:46:57 PM »
You guys did me proud!  ;D  Thanks for sharing the photos!
Barbie
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2009, 06:01:48 PM »
I had planned to do the black spray paint thing and rub back the barrel to give it an aged look but I have about talked myself out of it.
Dennis,
This statement is a bit confusing and could lead newbies down the wrong road.  It seems to indicate that you were going to spray paint the barrel and rub it back.  Please clarify.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2009, 07:43:40 PM »
Dennis......you know I will have to question something on your gun.    How is the trigger pull?   The trigger seems to be
forward in the guard and you might have it pinned too far from the sear bar which equates to a hard trigger pull.   Other
than that, the overall finish looks great.   That early lancaster builds into a great gun, and is so typical of the guns of this
period....they were not little guns...........Don
Don,
The trigger pull is good. There is a large amount of slack before the trigger hits the sear bar. I suspect the trigger is as far forward as it goes in the photo. I thought about pulling the trigger and building it up to come closer to the sear bar. Or I might try to rig up a spring to hold it tight against the sear bar. Not used to these type triggers having to use double set triggers on my mountain rifles.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2009, 07:51:10 PM »
This statement is a bit confusing and could lead newbies down the wrong road.  It seems to indicate that you were going to spray paint the barrel and rub it back.  Please clarify.
That's correct but along with the barrel I would also spray the wood with flat black paint like Mike Brooks does.

The barrel was treated with Ospho (mostly Phosphoric Acid) and rubbing it and the black paint back with steel wool should leave it with a well aged look.

I have done this using tempra (sp) paint and Oxpho Blue (Brownell's also high in Phosphoric Acid) and it turned out well. Never tried the flat black but want to. Trouble is getting up the nerve to try it on a finished gun!
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

eagle24

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2009, 09:26:42 PM »
Very nice rifle Dennis.  Inletting looks really clean.  Good work!

Longarm

« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2009, 04:08:01 AM »
Very nice!

Offline rick landes

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2009, 09:04:34 PM »
I would like to know more--step-by-step--if you will how you used the 2 stains. I have used the nut brown and Jim's oil, but not running a "two-tone" Did you thin them or rub them back quite a bit before next coats (s)?

Nice clean rifle:)
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Daryl

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2009, 03:38:44 AM »
Looks GREAT to me, Dennis - congratulations.