Author Topic: Southwest Virginia Rifle or Lexington Build?  (Read 1306 times)

Semper Fi

Southwest Virginia Rifle or Lexington Build?
« on: February 22, 2021, 05:22:31 PM »
I've wondered what happened to this rifle since I was a kid. It belonged to my great grandfather according to my dad and after my grandmother passed away was given to me. I remember seeing it a few times when I was a youngin but thought that it had been given away or thrown away over the years. I don't know or care if it's worth anything to be honest because it's something I will never part with but, now that I know it actually exists again I really want to try to find out who it's maker is and it's age. It's been here in Southwest Virginia since the mid to late 1800s if the stories of its origin are true. It was always at my grandmother's and then one day disappeared. My dad always called it the hog rifle but then again we always called the old single shot Winchester .22 that she kept in the kitchen a hog rifle too Even though it hasn't killed a hog in 30 years.
Hoping someone has some information on this old rifle I thought maybe it was a Bean but it does not really share much with one It's got the lines on the southern mountain. It looks like it maybe used to be a flintlock but I don't know.

[/url]

« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 10:53:58 PM by Semper Fi »

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
Re: Original Southern Mountain? Or local unknown gunsmith?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 05:27:24 PM »
Thanks for sharing these photos.  What are the markings on the barrel behind the rear site?  Looks like initials?

Thanks,

Bill
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Semper Fi

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 05:35:59 PM »
I think they are just scratches I will have to wait until I get home to look to make 100 percent sure but, I don't remember seeing any letters anywhere on the rifle to point me in any direction.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 06:34:29 PM »
  No expert here but that trigger guard almost looks Ohio style to me. But it lacks the perch belly that you see on so many of those guns.  Nice gun though.

Banjoman

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 07:23:17 PM »
Wow! That's awesome!  There is a very similar (almost exact) story in my family about a very similar gun around the Williamsburg, Kentucky area.  I never got to see the gun, but based on stories I heard it was probably a whole lot like yours.

You're very fortunate to have that gun and I really wish I had some information for you.  Thanks for sharing.  I'll be watching to see what you have.

Semper Fi

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 01:33:17 AM »
I hope I can find someone on here that knows more about it than me. It was a great surprise to know it was still around considering I figured it had been turned into a fire poker or something by now or was hanging on the wall of a pawn shop.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 02:02:22 AM by Semper Fi »