Author Topic: Jaeger Kit Build Questions  (Read 5450 times)

Offline heinz

Re: Jaeger Kit Build Questions
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2021, 05:18:14 PM »
Reviewing "Steinschloss-Jagerbuschen" the closed style trigger guard is quite common on Jaeger rifles.  I did not attempt a statistical analysis but an 18th Century Jaeger with a closed guard is not rare or even uncommon in the Jaegers pictured in this text.  That was also my impression of visiting several museums in Europe.  I think Ron Scott could give the best opinion on this.
kind regards, heinz

Offline JLSawyer

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2021, 07:54:34 PM »
Of course this build is already going swimmingly...lock plate mortise is oversized. Should have known better. >:( >:(
Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2021, 01:50:10 AM »
cut a block of wood to fit snugly into the lockplate inlet, and glue it in with Titebond II or III, and re-inlet the lock plate.  If you do it well, it will be hard to see.   ;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline JLSawyer

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2021, 07:29:49 PM »
cut a block of wood to fit snugly into the lockplate inlet, and glue it in with Titebond II or III, and re-inlet the lock plate.  If you do it well, it will be hard to see.   ;)

Not sure if the gaps are large enough to go to this extreme. I think large chips of maple and some titebond III should suffice. Time will tell. The lock plate needs to be sunk deeper so the bolster mates tightly to the side barrel flat so the gaps might go away when that happens but first I need to inlet the barrel down and back to final placement. Hoping gaps don’t open up along the barrel channel when I do that. Keeping fingers crossed.
Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2021, 02:37:45 AM »
If you have a lot of extra depth in the lock panels, go ahead and knock them down to close to the finished dimension it will be after the lock is fully inlet.  Don't try to inlet through a ton of extra wood.  It'll be a lot easier to inlet and to see what's going on.   ;)
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2021, 04:06:58 AM »
https://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2013/07/jaeger-rifles-at-castle-of-karlsruhe_27.html

If you scroll down the right side you will see there is a part II and part III.

Offline alacran

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2021, 04:00:47 PM »
I have had great interest in Jaegers . I have done a lot of reading on the subject and also take every opportunity to see them.
What impresses me the most is the variety of styles, length of barrels, trigger  guards etc. I do not believe you can ever say all jaegers had this or that .  I seem to always find the unexpected.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline heinz

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2021, 04:54:37 PM »
Flinchrocket, thanks for posting that link
kind regards, heinz

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2021, 07:25:06 PM »
Your welcome Heinz. I thought it might help answer some of the OP's questions.