Author Topic: Kibler Kit - Brass type help  (Read 3024 times)

oldhunter1954

Kibler Kit - Brass type help
« on: February 23, 2021, 06:14:05 PM »
I purchased the Colonial kit from Kibler. I see a lot of members engraving on the brass side plate, etc. I would like to experiment with this by buying a few pieces of brass to play with. I can buy brass plate just not sure what type and thickness of brass to purchase.
Thanks for the help.

Offline martin9

Re: Kibler Kit - Brass type help
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 06:23:09 PM »
If just for practice I don't think it matters a whole lot... as long as it's brass and thick enough for the graver not to punch through. 16 gauge or so oughta be fine.  doesn't have to be super thick though. You can always buy an extra sideplate from kibler also. After you've practiced on scrap you'll have 2 plates...just in case.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 06:51:35 PM »
FWIW consider that that gun doesn’t NEED any engraving. 
Nothing personal, but if this your first attempt at engraving I would weigh carefully whether that engraving is more likely to enhance or detract from the finished gun.  ( I’m speculating on your level of experience from the tenor of your question ;), I could be wrong?)

If it were me... I might hone my engraving skills on a lesser project.

Just sayin...
Best of luck,
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

oldhunter1954

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 08:17:07 PM »
FWIW consider that that gun doesn’t NEED any engraving. 
Nothing personal, but if this your first attempt at engraving I would weigh carefully whether that engraving is more likely to enhance or detract from the finished gun.  ( I’m speculating on your level of experience from the tenor of your question ;), I could be wrong?)

If it were me... I might hone my engraving skills on a lesser project.

Just sayin...
Best of luck,
Jeff

No problem. This is my first build ever. I do not intend to add anything to the Kibler Colonial kit. I just became very curious when I saw the engraving by one of the members on here. I am semi retired so I have time on my hands to experiment and learn.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 08:40:14 PM »
Some of the muzzleloader supply outlets sell brass sheet in various thickness's and you can anneal them,screw them down and you have two sides to practice on. When your done you can form them into sight shadders.

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 09:12:57 PM »
260 brass—also referred to as cartridge brass, yellow brass, and 70/30 brass is good to practice on.  Available online from multiple sources.
Kevin

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 09:25:04 PM »
 Go to a scrap yard, or recycler, and look for commercial push plates, or kick plates off of old public buildings or schools. Some old government buildings had heavy rash thresholds for big double doors. They are great for engraving practice, and fabricating gun furniture, and patchboxes.

Hungry Horse

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 03:34:48 PM »
HH has it. Go to scrap yard. One door kick plate will be a lot of practice of practice. Use both sides. Not much outlay.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline c deperro

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 05:54:03 PM »
You can purchase sheet brass from tow . Log cabin shop has gravers. But before engraving a rifle you will probably need at least of 40 hrs of practice . for it to look decent . Unless your very gifted. Good carving and engraving placed on a well built rifle takes a 3k rifles and can make it worth 8k or more. On the other had poor carving and engraving can make it worth the parts that havent been botched up. Unless you are planning on building lots of guns ask around and pay a few bucks and to your investment rather than take away from it.

Online David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2021, 06:13:50 PM »
Any 260 or cartridge type brass will work well for practice.  I get my sheet brass from Online metals.    https://www.onlinemetals.com/buy/material?q=%3Aprice-asc%3AMaterial%3ABrass%3AShape%3ASheet%252FPlate
David

Online Daniel Coats

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 07:20:27 PM »
Just about any hardware store sells sheet brass and cheap too.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2021, 07:57:39 PM »
Why not ask Mr. Kibler what type brass he uses? Then buy that type.

Not all brass is equal, some is soft, some is hard as a rock. Not all engraves equally, or as nicely.
John Robbins

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2021, 05:31:02 PM »
Any 260 or cartridge type brass will work well for practice.  I get my sheet brass from Online metals.    https://www.onlinemetals.com/buy/material?q=%3Aprice-asc%3AMaterial%3ABrass%3AShape%3ASheet%252FPlate
David

David,

I'm afraid I don't know anything about different brass alloys.  Online Metals lists the alloys at this link as 260, 280, 353, 365, and 464.  Are they ranked from the hardest to the softest alloys?  And which would be your choice for making a patch box that was to be engraved?  Thanks.

Don Richards
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2021, 05:54:29 PM »
260 brass will work fine.  Best of luck!

Jim

Online David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2021, 06:57:15 PM »
David

David,

I'm afraid I don't know anything about different brass alloys.  Online Metals lists the alloys at this link as 260, 280, 353, 365, and 464.  Are they ranked from the hardest to the softest alloys?  And which would be your choice for making a patch box that was to be engraved?  Thanks.

Don Richards
I use 260 sheet brass pretty much exclusively.
David

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2021, 09:28:23 PM »
Keep it simple, it can be supprising what a big difference a small amount of engraving can make.

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2021, 08:20:30 AM »
I'm going to guess, based on your question, that you have not engraved before.  If that is not true, then you may disregard the rest of what I say!

I applaud your ambition to engrave the brass on your rifle.  I have done the same, but am not a great engraver, so I am careful in what I do.
Engraving looks really nice on rifles, if it is done in the correct style and is moderately well done.  Engraving in the wrong style, or that is badly done looks really terrible. With that in mind, make sure you practice enough before you engrave that 1000$ gun.  If you are not satisfied, then leave it.  The Kibler Colonial rifle is beautiful on it's own. 

Many of the great long rifles of that period do not show particularly skillful engraving.  But, and this is a big but, they show graceful artistry in the engraving.  So even apprentice level engraving can pass, if the overall artistic design is good.  If you haven't engraved before, then practice, but also look at the baroque and rococo forms that were used and make sure you can make graceful lines before you turn your nice Kibler gun into something less. 

P.S.  I'm not discouraging engraving, I'm simply encouraging waiting till you can do it at a passable level.

Cheers,
Norm
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2021, 08:26:58 PM »
Here is my "two cents worth" I like some engraving on my rifles but I am not good at it and as I now have carpal tunnel I don't even try anymore >:(. I send my parts to be engraved to Smitty's Engraving in Harrah, OK he is listed in one of the muzzle loading magazines that I get ;). He does good work at a fair price and his turn-around time is good also ;D.  You will spend a lot of money and time trying your hand at engraving and being successful at it that I find it much cheaper and less frustrating to have it done by someone that has the experience 8).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2021, 02:28:51 AM »
^^^^^^------Excellent advice!-------^^^^^^^^

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2021, 02:49:50 AM »
Here is my "two cents worth" I like some engraving on my rifles but I am not good at it and as I now have carpal tunnel I don't even try anymore >:(. I send my parts to be engraved to Smitty's Engraving in Harrah, OK he is listed in one of the muzzle loading magazines that I get ;). He does good work at a fair price and his turn-around time is good also ;D.  You will spend a lot of money and time trying your hand at engraving and being successful at it that I find it much cheaper and less frustrating to have it done by someone that has the experience 8).

Sending that work off is my strategy of choice as well. No sense me hacking up a gun and then me having to admit to it for all time.

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2021, 05:45:24 AM »
I purchased the Colonial kit from Kibler. I see a lot of members engraving on the brass side plate, etc. I would like to experiment with this by buying a few pieces of brass to play with. I can buy brass plate just not sure what type and thickness of brass to purchase.
Thanks for the help.

Why are we trying to talk him out of obtaining a piece of brass to try his hand at engraving?  After he's worked at it a while he can decide what to do with it.
Mike Lee