Author Topic: Which kit  (Read 1937 times)

Eseabee1

Which kit
« on: March 14, 2021, 01:28:00 AM »
I want to get a rifle or a Fowler. I just don’t know what to do would prefer one in the white but with a budget of $1300 I really don’t think that is possible. So I will attempt to make one just wondering which kit to get. One from Chambers or one from Kibler ? Which would be better for the first time builder?

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Which kit
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 01:40:31 AM »
You would have many more choices of styles of both rifles or fowwlers from chambers. An easier assembly with less choice from Kibler. Both will have high quality parts. Pic the one with the quickest delivery  ;D.

Offline Frank

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 03:12:43 AM »
For a first time builder, Kibler is the best way to go.

oldhunter1954

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 04:12:44 AM »
I have zero experience and just finished a Kibler Colonial in 54 caliber. Very happy with my choice.

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 05:10:07 AM »
Kibler may have his fowler out this year. I talked to him last fall but don't recall when he said it would be available. I personally would go with Kibler's kits for a first timer. Chambers make great kits but they do need more work to finish one.

Eseabee1

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 02:13:36 PM »
Thank you everyone who replied here or sent me message. It really is helpful

Offline scottmc

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 02:57:10 PM »
It's worth a look at Cabin Creek's kits.  Brad and Shane Emig have some nice kits but they require a good bit more work than the kibler and I'm not sure about the Chambers as I've never had one in my hands to see.  They do have a fowler.
Remember Paoli!

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 04:08:58 PM »
I want to get a rifle or a Fowler. I just don’t know what to do would prefer one in the white but with a budget of $1300 I really don’t think that is possible. So I will attempt to make one just wondering which kit to get. One from Chambers or one from Kibler ? Which would be better for the first time builder?

You say first time builder.  Does that mean you intend to build other guns or is this a one and done project?  I built one of Jim Kibler's SMR kits for someone and the level of effort to do that is essentially cleaning up the metal castings and finishing the wood.  If you want to have a very nice gun with virtually no effort, that is the way to go.  However, if you want to expend a little effort and learn something about gun building with the idea of possibly building more guns in the future, you should seriously consider the Jim Chambers kit.  Jim Chambers offers a DVD for about $30 or $35 on his websites on how to build one of his kits.  You might be well served to buy that and see what is involved before you make up your mind on what kit to purchase.  You can't go wrong with kits by either Kibler or Chambers.

Don Richards
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

oldhunter1954

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 05:31:52 PM »
FYI, Kibler has a video for each step of finishing his Colonial kit.

Eseabee1

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 05:45:12 PM »

You say first time builder.  Does that mean you intend to build other guns or is this a one and done project?  I built one of Jim Kibler's SMR kits for someone and the level of effort to do that is essentially cleaning up the metal castings and finishing the wood.  If you want to have a very nice gun with virtually no effort, that is the way to go.  However, if you want to expend a little effort and learn something about gun building with the idea of possibly building more guns in the future, you should seriously consider the Jim Chambers kit.  Jim Chambers offers a DVD for about $30 or $35 on his websites on how to build one of his kits.  You might be well served to buy that and see what is involved before you make up your mind on what kit to purchase.  You can't go wrong with kits by either Kibler or Chambers.

Don Richards

As I am mostly a Horner I would just build one or two for my use. As much as I would love to learn to build guns I don’t think at this time a smart idea I still have to many distractions that would get in my way. But Thank you for the advice

oldhunter1954

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2021, 06:16:25 PM »
Just thought I would share a pic of my Kibler Colonial in 54.

Eseabee1

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2021, 06:47:41 PM »
Very nice

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2021, 06:26:43 PM »

Oldhunter1954,

I sent you a PM

Don Richards
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Eseabee1

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2021, 07:47:40 PM »

Oldhunter1954,

I sent you a PM

Don Richards

Don have not received a PM from you.

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2021, 11:38:30 PM »
Go to You Tube. Jim Kibler has done a number of videos building his kits. There are videos of building the other kits. Also videos of building from a blank. Watch a few and see what it takes to put them together. That should give you an idea of what sort of project would be best for you.