Author Topic: Deer Skin Scabbard  (Read 1453 times)

Offline louieparker

Deer Skin Scabbard
« on: February 26, 2021, 11:34:24 PM »
About a month ago I decided I needed  a scabbard  for my miniature Hawken rifle. I had some tanned hides that I bought at a home auction over thirty five years ago.. I was told at the auction  it was elk and deer.  I think I used the deer to make the scabbard. Not real sure. After I got it made I began to wonder if there was anything from the unknown type of  tanning process lingering in the hides that might damage the gun. Mainly in  long term storage. While discussing the project with TC Albert he brought up the same concerns..  Neither of us felt sure that it was a problem.. But we both had concerns.. TC suggested I line it with cloth.. A good idea but with it all laced together it wouldn't be an easy task to get a decent job. If my planning had been better I would have lined it during the making process.
My question is, Have any of you had experience with storing metal objects tanned hides ?  Any problems ?
Louie

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Deer Skin Scabbard
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 12:15:51 AM »
Many or most tanning processes use acid like tannic acid. It cross links collagen fibers I guess. If done properly it is adequately washed or neutralized. I had some cowhide once that I made into a bag and it was acidic. I washed it a lot with some baking soda. It was rusting my patch knife.
Brain tan should be completely neutral.
Andover, Vermont

Offline rollingb

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 12:29:22 AM »
I store one of my NWTG's in a brain tanned sheath for extended periods of time, with no ill effects.
http://tradmla.org/tmaf/index.php
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 01:01:18 AM »
The only leather that I know for sure will rust steel is what I believe is known as Latigo.  It’s typically medium brown color on the top and the back side is yellowish.
I once made a knife sheath out of it before I knew better, and it would begin rust a knife stored inside it in a weeks time.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 02:15:15 AM »
Many or most tanning processes use acid like tannic acid. It cross links collagen fibers I guess. If done properly it is adequately washed or neutralized. I had some cowhide once that I made into a bag and it was acidic. I washed it a lot with some baking soda. It was rusting my patch knife.
Brain tan should be completely neutral.

I have had problems in the past neutralizing my leather, particularly with baking soda.   It caused the leather to dry rot.   I had to replace part of a bag because of it.   It was explained to me by a more experienced leather worker that leather was naturally acidic and needed to stay that way for its integrity. 

The only problems I have had with leather rusting objects was with sheaths that were not thoroughly dry from where I had stained with them vinegar and iron.   

Personally,  I would not leave a rifle in a leather case and I would make sure the rifle or knife is well waxed.    My reasoning is that leather absorbs moisture and holds on to it for a long time.   That could include condensation on metal parts up against the leather.   Actually,  for that same reason,  I wouldn't leave a rifle in any kind of case; cloth or metal cases with foam linings. 

Offline jbigley

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 02:50:59 AM »
Louie--All of the above are good answers. You didn't state what kind of leather it is, but if it is brain tan, you should have no problems. Like TC said, you could line it with cloth--wool blanketing is pretty good--and that will add "some" padding/protection for your rifle. I have made several like that, with no issues. --JB

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 05:49:48 AM »
Louie, latigo will really oxidize brass and copper and maybe cause steel to rust. I've also had brass and copper oxidize in pouches that were bark tanned. Don't know if it was from the tannic acid or the type of oil that was used on it at the end of the process. I've not had problems leaving revolvers in commercial vegetable tanned leather holsters as long as it stays dry. 

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 08:13:01 PM »
Louis:  I understand your concept, but like Mark, I never store my guns in scabbards of any kind.  They must have fresh dry air flowing around them continuously to prevent oxidation.  A scabbard is for transporting your rifle to avoid accidental dings and the like, not as a cosmetic storage device.  But if you are set on this path, take a piece of freshly drawfiled steel and slip it into the case and leave it for a month or two to see what the leather does to the metal.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 10:21:03 PM »
Hi Louie,

My dad and I sold nice holsters for 32 years at gun shows as a hobby.  I do not store anything metal in leather.  Too much of a risk. 

It doesn't matter if it is high-end leather or cheap, it has the possibility to ruin metal.  You never know how leather was tanned, how it was dyed, how it was treated, and how it was finished....or if someone rubbed some concoction into the leather.  If the holster or scabbard gets in moisture, the leather can absorb that and hold it to the metal along with chemicals.  I have seen waaaaaay too many guns ruined over the years due to storage in leather.  I've had folks ask to buy a holster, and when asked the purpose, they'd say "To safely store it in".  I would always dissuade them.

Worse than that is any eggcrate foam padding.  That stuff is the devil's work.  It soaks up moisture and holds it to the finish. 

I do not trust cloth against metal, as it too can absorb moisture and hold it.  Why risk it?  My knives live outside their sheaths unless they are in use. 

I have found that wax paper is a good surface to store metal items upon, as it does not absorb moisture.  It is also great inside a zippered gun rug, as it keeps the oiled metal and cloth apart. 

Just my experience.   God Bless,   Marc

Offline louieparker

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2021, 12:15:50 AM »
Thanks for your comments.
It sounds like I had better forget storage in any leather...  I didn't realize leather could be so bad for metal .   I will just use the scabbard for  travel and on big montana hunts.  LP ;D