Author Topic: Bedford build questions  (Read 1974 times)

Offline FALout

Bedford build questions
« on: February 27, 2021, 06:03:11 AM »
This is for something down the road, I’ve built quite a few different style of rifles, but I’ve never tried to build a Bedford.  I’ve always wanted one when I first got into muzzleloaders. Figure it will be a 45cal, something with a slight swamp instead of a straight barrel, could go with either flint or percussion, maple stock. First issue I have is how are they to shoot with 4” plus drop?  Is this style comfortable or just something that I would get used to?  The next question is do I need extra wood if building from a blank, have to assume yes, and will anyone accommodate this when searching for a blank?  I have a few blanks to check the size, just haven’t gotten to drawing out the full scale just yet.  I’ve got some books on Bedfords, was gonna see if KRA has a disk with pics ( I’ve got a few all ready on other styles and find the pics helpful).  I guess I don’t want to build one just to do it, would really like to be able to enjoy shooting it and keep it, sold off too many after building.
Bob
Bob

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Re: Bedford build questions
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 05:18:35 PM »

Yeah, they do have quite a drop, I guess thats why they picked up the name 'hockey sticks' The only problem with shooting it, for me anyway, was off the bench, the stock bottoms out on the bench surface, a little maneuvering around and its doable. As for off hand shooting, I like it and had no problem with its configuration. Good luck!!! It was a very enjoyable gun to make.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline t.caster

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 06:08:15 PM »
Most blanks should accommodate a 4" drop. It is good to have a pattern with you when picking out your wood, or talk to your supplier if online. You don't need a thick piece, 2" will due for these slim rifles.
Tom C.

Offline satwel

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 07:53:05 PM »
The Bedford rifle I built is very comfortable to shoot.  The drop feels a little strange the first couple times you shoulder it, but you quickly get used to it. I used a 13/16 Rice barrel in .45 caliber.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 09:46:31 PM »
If you're short with no neck you probably won't enjoy it.  If you're taller and stretched out you'll love it.   ;D  Mine is a 13/16 straight GM barrel in .40, lots of drop and very comfortable for me to shoot offhand. 
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 10:02:24 PM »
The shooter's head will be held quite a bit straighter, neck more erect with less cheek weld- maybe just a chin touch.  Most people will have  a great time shooting these 'hooked' rifles.
"Edited".
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 12:01:40 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline FALout

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 11:34:27 PM »
I hope that doesn’t apply to me Daryl, military life was a long time ago, but know what you mean.  Only one of the stocks I have on hand could possibly work but I already had plans for that one, so shopping for a stock is in my future.  Having never handled an original nor modern version doesn’t help, pics make the wrist look thick, but is that just because of how slender the rifles are generally?
Bob
Bob

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 12:07:52 AM »
From what I have seen, this rifle is of a style that is quite late in the flint era, more applicable to the percussion era.  On these rifles, unless I am mistaken, the wrist is deeper vertically and thinner laterally, than Golden Age longrifles.  Even so, they are not slab sided flat wrists, and have at least an oval cross-section, with a flat on the bottom (narrow part of the egg) for the toe/wrist/trigger line.
I have a Bedford rifle in queue too, featuring my new-to-me Bill Large .45 cal barrel.  I have the lock, guard and buttplate purchased and a good stock calling gently from the rafters.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline FALout

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 04:23:57 AM »
Thanks Taylor, I was leaning toward percussion since it seems that was the predominant ignition of the time.  I prefer flints ,but have a few cap guns already.  I need more pics to study...so off to the KRA website.
Bob
Bob

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2021, 03:33:34 PM »
My research for a flint Bedford build a couple of years ago showed that flint Bedfords did not have a radical drop in the stock, but one that is very comfortable to shoot.  I would build the gun to fit the user.   the wrist is taller than wide.  A strong 60% of the locks were of the L&R Durs Egg style with an "english-ised" large Siler style being next in numbers.  I found NO (zero) rat-tailed flintlocks. The barrels averaged about 1 inch ATF and were over 40 inches long.  Not discovered in my research was the profile of the barrel, ie swamped, tapered or straight.  Given the time period of flint Bedfords I would guess the barrels were straight or perhaps slightly tapered.  The percussion Bedfords morfed into the more familiar broomstick-skinny hockey stick.

Offline FALout

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 05:05:03 PM »
Your research mirrors just what I’m finding on Bedford’s.
Bob

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2021, 05:44:56 PM »
Kentucky Rifles and Pistols 1750-1850 by James Johnston has pictures and brief descriptions of thirteen Bedford rifles. Two are listed as having swamped barrels, one straight, and the rest are simply designated as octagonal. One of the swamped barrels is on a flint rifle. Three of the thirteen are flint. Of the flint rifles, one shows the extreme drop at the butt, the others not so much.

TOW sells (or used to sell) plans for a Bedford percussion rifle which I used to build mine several years ago. Using them, I think the fore end came our much too deep. It was a very pleasant rifle to shoot off hand, but it just didn't look right. I am collecting parts to build another, this time with German silver hardware. I just need to get a barrel.

Dale H

Offline Joe Stein

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2021, 10:43:01 PM »
   I have handled a lot of Bedford rifles. I have never had the opportunity to see or handle a flintlock Bedford, so my observations apply only to percussion rifles.   
   Probably 80% or more had no swamp or taper to the barrel. Of those that were swamped, the amount was so little that it was not readily apparent, without sighting along the plane of the barrel.
   Many of the barrels were an inch or more across the flats. To achieve the long, slim look of a classic Bedford they had thin webs between the barrel and ramrod groove. Also a lot of barrel and ramrod exposed.
   Hope this helps.
-Joe Stein

Offline t.caster

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2021, 01:41:56 AM »
For inspiration, here is one I built 2 yrs ago for a gentleman who lives not far from Bedford, PA. This Peter White style had a Rice A wt. .45 cal x 44" long and an L&R Bedford flintlock, sterling silver inlays, carved & engraved.

Tom C.

Offline FALout

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2021, 03:55:05 AM »
Thanks for showing that wonderful example you built, definitely has the characteristics I’ve seen of White’s rifle.
Bob
Bob