Author Topic: Bag #7 (maybe #8?)  (Read 1531 times)

Offline Brokennock

Bag #7 (maybe #8?)
« on: February 28, 2021, 05:36:39 AM »
Okay, so I lost track. This is a recreation of a bag I made challenging myself to make the best bag I could, of the most pc/hc design I could, using only materials obtainable at your average craft store and fabric store.

This bag,

This time I used; about 3 oz. veg. tan goat leather for the bag, 3 or 4 oz. cowhide leather strap, hemp thread, brass buckle, metal button, very thin chocolate brown cow leather flap trim.

Some comparisons to the prototype,

Comparison pics were taken before I corrected the percieved need for the edge binding to give some life to the flap.

Thanks for looking.

Edited because I missed the pic of the back of the bag.
Also, the fringe was an after thought, which, I didn't think I'd like and thought I would trim off,,,, but really like now that it is done. I had left the welt over wide after having trouble getting welts to line up properly in the past. Thought I would just trim it after the bag was stitched and turned. Once turned figured I'd try the fringe.  Who knew?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 05:42:38 AM by Brokennock »

Offline Greg Pennell

Re: Bag #7 (maybe #8?)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 06:28:55 AM »
I like it, looks like you did a fine job. These darn things are addicting...by the time I get one started I’m already finding things I want to do differently on the next one...

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 03:38:09 PM »
I like the fringe. It was the first thing I noticed.....I thought you were leaning towards a wider, shallow bag. Do you think this will be the perfect bag for you?
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline scottmc

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 04:20:03 PM »
Very nice, believable looking bag.  Stitching is nice and I agree the binding dresses up the flap.  As much as I dont like to bind the flap edges, I have to say it looks nice when done.
Remember Paoli!

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 04:21:45 PM »
I like your second one there.  Very appealing.  Good decision on the fine fringe.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline DougS

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 04:26:46 PM »
Nice looking bag.

I like the design, color etc.

Thank you for sharing.

Regards,

Doug

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2021, 06:20:48 PM »
Very nice design and execution.  I love working and using veg tanned goat!!!  A very underrated hide that's very tough and durable in the 3-4 oz weight if you can find.  Most will be in the 3oz variety and still very desirable. 
Your use of fringe is just the right size, IMO.  And, using buttons to attach your inside pocket is a nice touch, as long as it doesn't become too heavy with accouterments or roundballs.  Perhaps the pouch is made of goat (3oz) adding a 'support leather' piece across the inside of the back to add strength on the next pouch would also be a nice touch, but that is only me.  Great looking pouch with nice touches, well done sir.
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 07:41:17 PM »
One little small piece of advice. A historically more correct way of sewing buttons is to sew 4 hole buttons in an X pattern and then the wrap behind the buttons a few wraps of the thread to form a shank. 2 hole buttons, likewise.

I haven't seen everything, but I can say that I have never seen a confirmed 19th century button attached with either the Z or = style.
Psalms 144

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 04:24:50 AM »
One little small piece of advice. A historically more correct way of sewing buttons is to sew 4 hole buttons in an X pattern and then the wrap behind the buttons a few wraps of the thread to form a shank. 2 hole buttons, likewise.

I haven't seen everything, but I can say that I have never seen a confirmed 19th century button attached with either the Z or = style.
Not quite following the z or = thing. Those buttons holding the pouch only have two holes.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 04:26:20 AM »
Thanks all. I appreciate the compliments and comments.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 08:05:33 AM »

Not quite following the z or = thing. Those buttons holding the pouch only have two holes.

On the lighter colored bag, they look like 4 holes. IIRC, I think the 2 hole kind are more common early on.  I do really like the color combination you have going on.
Psalms 144

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2021, 05:11:48 PM »

On the lighter colored bag, they look like 4 holes. IIRC, I think the 2 hole kind are more common early on.  I do really like the color combination you have going on.

I went back and looked. Your eyes did not deceive you. They are 4 hole buttons. I thought the smaller ones of that material were 2 hole. On the newer bag they are sewn on like they are 2 hole.  On the older experimental bag they are sewn the same, but, the tag ends were put through the other holes, wrapped around the threads holding the button, counter to eachother, then tied.
The lighter bag was a challenge to myself to make something anyone could make despite limited access to proper pc/hc materials. Really I think the strap is the most glaring thing "wrong" but, works out so nicely.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2021, 12:05:16 AM »
I like the fringe. It was the first thing I noticed.....I thought you were leaning towards a wider, shallow bag. Do you think this will be the perfect bag for you?
I don't know about "perfect" but I did really like the experimental version. I tend to like smaller bags, but, if I were to carry stuff for both roundball and shot at the same time (I only own smoothbores currently) this could be about a half inch to an inch bigger in any or both directions. I do have a wider shallower bag that I like very much. However a couple design/construction flaws make it less than ideal for carrying everything needed for a smoothbore. Again, great rifle bag, but, too tight when needing to carry a bunch of wads or wadding, a tin of paper shot cartridges, and all the other usual stuff.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2021, 03:30:10 PM »
Broke...Okay, so I lost track. This is a recreation of a bag I made challenging myself to make the best bag I could, of the most pc/hc design I could, using only materials obtainable at your average craft store and fabric store....

You ain't complaining, are ya?  Wait till you see this bad boy when it ages with wear.  You did what every average bloke did back iin the day; make it out of what you had available.

Keep 'em coming.