Author Topic: Front Sight Replacement?  (Read 938 times)

Offline RANGER94

Front Sight Replacement?
« on: February 28, 2021, 05:51:20 AM »
Hello Everyone,

What is the best technique for removing the front sight on my Pedersoli Kentucky Rifle (I have the replacement sight from TOTW).  And also installing the new sight?

Thanks!!!

Ranger94

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Front Sight Replacement?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 07:00:52 AM »
I assume its dovetailed into the barrel and if so with no retaining set screw just drive it out with a brass punch.

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 02:44:29 PM »
If the world was a nice place you would just knock it out an drive the new one in.  But you will most likely have to fit the new sight.  If you bought a cast sight it will be oversize along with a casting sprue that will need removed and the sight filed some.  If you bought a machined sight you may or may not need to file the sight some for it to fit in the Pedersoli dovetail.
  Unlike some other Italian and Spanish muzzleloaders the Pedersoli uses a standard or close to it 3/8ths inch dovetail.  I would advise against messing with the dovetail in the barrel.  Only file on the sight.  If you mess it up and it is loose you can dimple the bottom of the dovetail base and the bottom of the sight to tighten things up along with some blue Loctite.  Oh and by the way the sight goes in and comes out from the left looking at the muzzle. That is the way they are supposed to be machined.  Good Luck.........Bob
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 02:48:23 PM by Bob Hatfield »

Offline recurve

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 04:45:06 PM »
Most are set right to left (from the stock /breach) so drive out from the left to the right(with barrel out of stock if possable) use a brass or hard wood punch( to not mark the barrel ) also before use painters tape mark current sight location so you can match with new sight(also measure hight before)
left side of barrel

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 07:48:13 PM »
Whatever you do, do not take it to a regular gunsmith. In my opinion, they know less than anyone about muzzleloaders.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 08:26:49 PM »
I have a nail set that I have ground with flats and polished the end to drive sights in and out.  I agree that the sight should be driven out toward the lock side on a right handed rifle, and also in from that side.  I find the steel punch damages the sight base less than one of brass, nylon, or wood.  I do the work with the barrel out of the wood and held securely in a leather pad in my machinist's vise, within the extremities of the vise's jaws, not three feet out to one end.  To me that is common sense, and I hate to state the obvious.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.