Author Topic: My first horn, in more ways than one.  (Read 1205 times)

Stonehouse john

My first horn, in more ways than one.
« on: February 28, 2021, 07:46:43 PM »
When I was sixteen years old and didn't know how much I didn't know, I was determined that I'd build myself a flintlock rifle out of a second-hand CVA barrel and lock and an old plank of wood from the hay-barn.  A family friend said I'd be needing a powder horn to go with my rifle and gave me a raw cow horn.  I'd never yet seen an actual powder horn in person (or an actual flintlock rifle either for that matter!) but I was young and determined and figured I had the general idea.  I scraped the worst of the "bark" off of (and out of) that horn, sawed off and drilled out the tip, and asked my high-school shop teacher to help me turn a walnut base-plug for it which I pinned in place with some 8-penny copper nails my granddad had.  The walls of that horn were nearly 3/8" thick and the tip was big around as a nickel, but it held powder.  That horn charged the first loads I ever fired from a flintlock plus all of my first flintlock hunts, a few local turkey shoots, and countless days of woods-walking and plinking.  At some point I became self-conscious about using that ugly lump of a horn and I acquired something a little more presentable.  

A few months ago I rediscovered that old horn in a box of junk packed away decades ago.  I set it on the workbench and looked at it for a month or so and then one day I decided to take a horse-rasp to it and try my hand at making a proper horn of it.
  I reworked but saved the old base-plug and copper pegs for sentimental reasons, thinned the walls till sunlight shines through, carved a base-button and a stopper from a big soup bone, and even tried my hand at a tiny bit of scrimshaw.  I wanted to emulate a simple horn that a common man might have made himself with simple tools, so that's how I did it; after rough faceting with the horse-rasp I did all of the scraping, carving and some coarse engrailing using just my pocket knife and I used a sharpened nail for scratching the scrimshaw.  I just worked on it a little each morning by the woodstove while my shop was warming up and I thoroughly enjoyed the process.  I'd like to hear what you all think.  I'll most likely attempt another horn at some point so all critiques and comments are welcome.

Thanks
John

Offline DougS

Re: My first horn, in more ways than one.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 08:46:23 PM »
Very nice horn John!

I like the color and details.

Thank you for sharing.

Regards,

Doug

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 09:33:52 PM »
 Good start, Nice work.

Tim C.

Online Daryl

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 11:14:16 PM »
Beautiful work & especially for a "first".
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 02:18:17 AM »
I find the horn and it's story to be inspiring as well as very nice. Keep it up. I still have the first horn I made almost 60 years ago. Made it to hold BBs for our Benjamin Pump Air Rifle dad got for his 3 boys. We played Danl Boon and Davey Crocket so the rifle had to have a horn. Mom saved it and gave it to me 20 years ago after I was into building Muzzleloaders.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline elk killer

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 02:40:36 AM »
Nuthing to not like...very nice.!!
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Clint

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 05:05:38 AM »
WOW, thats a cool horn. I have spent many hours next to the stove in my shop, mostly just after lunch, whittling or filing pieces like that. Years later that horn will remind you of the first time around and also of that cold day next to the stove. I wonder how many antique horns were made on cold days by fire light?
CW

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 06:35:55 AM »
Great story ,and the horn aint bad,either. I reckon a lot of us here have done same, found or dug out of storage a project started,or finished back 40 years ago, and gave it new life.or maybe, just cleaned it up and displayed it with the respect it deserves . I have a few such horns myself.
Thanks for sharing your memory with us. Nice work. Best regards, Dave F 8) 8)

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 07:42:39 AM »
That really is a cool horn, it is very elegant.
Cheers Richard

Stonehouse john

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 04:04:55 PM »
Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement.  And I love the story about the BB-gun powder horn!  I too was a big fan of Boone and Crocket when I was a kid.  Come to think of it, I guess I still am really.

John

Offline old george

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 04:15:00 PM »
John, very nice horn never let it go. I like the stopper and the finial.

george
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2021, 04:31:09 PM »
Are you by chance a sailor man...I see a nice eye splice on the stopper line.
Richard

Stonehouse john

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2021, 06:36:37 PM »
Richard,  I'm just a son of a sailor-man (like the song says).  I did inherit an interest in knots and rope-work though I guess.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 06:44:11 PM by Stonehouse john »

Offline Kmcmichael

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2021, 07:04:40 PM »
Outstanding horn and story!